Toluene Dart - '73 swinger

-
So... first a water pump pulley bolt back out a touch and nicked the electric fan.. Ripped it clean off the radiator and left it crammed under the crank pulley. Don't have a picture of that. Luckily it didn't hurt the radiator, got it buttoned back up and ran it a couple more times. Last run of the night I get a vibration on the return road (not on the track). Get back and find the balancer.
40634291_10209900572269801_5617427038274060288_o.jpg

So that being said, I don't think i'm going to trust any of the normal cheapo balancers anymore. Ordered a new ATI Super Damper, which should be here in about a week. Since all that happened I decided to pull the heads and check some stuff and do some tweaking.
Some new cometic .027 head gaskets, cleaned up the ports a smidge, hopefully it helps just a bit.
41008037_10209915688407695_3984143411891404800_n.jpg
41100537_10209915688127688_7655106475802492928_n.jpg
41135324_10209915687847681_3496739996176482304_n.jpg

Didn't find any damage anywhere, everything looks good. Turns fine, oil clean. Think I dodged a bullet. Also found some comp cams magnum roller rockers at the local Summit Racing on the clearance shelf.. full set $200... not bad.. and I was able to get rid of the iffy chinesium rockers.
40654348_10209900853156823_2917242272498057216_n.jpg

Update -
We got another car. Girlfriend has gotten a '73 duster, complete solid body and comes with a full array of drag race parts. She wants to drive the car so we're gonna make two bad *** cars.
The stroker in the dart will go live in the duster complete with a pro trans 904 w/ reverse valve body and my 3800 converter and 3.55 gears. wil be awesome.
43323045_10213092798214518_7275603659449171968_n.jpg
43346181_10213092795774457_8578580077153878016_n.jpg
44038236_10213136265941184_4268119773260283904_n.jpg

That being said.. new engine for the dart is going to be bit more violent.
Along with the duster we received a good 5.9 magnum block with standard bores.
Full Caltracs monoleaf w/ trac bar suspension
Dynamic 4200-5000 8" converter - all brand new.
Engine will more than likely consist of
Scat rotating assemby w/ forged pistons and gapped for nitrous
11:1 comp w/ some head gasket tweaking to get the compression I want
Solid roller .575/.575 262/262@.050 comp cams (this is subject to change)
Still toiling around what Heads I want to go with, I'm not rolling around in cash. But I do want a good set. Time will tell. With the current 4.30's and new converter I'm sure this sucker is gonna have neck snapping launches.

Last edited:
That cam will perform really well IMO. If it were I, 1.6 rockers on top of aluminum ported heads would be the route. It will have .613 lift before lash and angle/geometry losses. Though, even at .575 lift, it’s plenty. It should haul some ***. Even with (ported) Edelbrock heads, there should be no lack of acceleration.

If you can up the game on the headers, that would be good.

That cam will perform really well IMO. If it were I, 1.6 rockers on top of aluminum ported heads would be the route. It will have .613 lift before lash and angle/geometry losses. Though, even at .575 lift, it’s plenty. It should haul some ***. Even with (ported) Edelbrock heads, there should be no lack of acceleration.

If you can up the game on the headers, that would be good.
At this point I have 3 sets of 1.5 roller rockers. 2 comp cams sets and one chinesium set. So I'll probably save the dough and stick with the other comp cam set. And leave the other comp set in the current 410 for the duster. I'm really not sure which heads to get, I've had good success with the cheapo soeedmasters and could alwaysport them myself again. But I kinda want a CNC set of heads so everything is uniform.
Ive been looking at promaxx and Hughes and reading about the trick flows... Hopefully the trick flow heads get released soon, they do sound awesome.

Hughes engines CNC work has a bad rap with the ports floor being murdered. Inflated flow numbers.
There is a killer thread here on it.

If you know a local porter that is known to be good, that’s a home run.
Modern Cylinder Head has a excellent rep for there CNC program on the Edelbrock heads.

E54A67AC-64E4-4AF8-84FB-3E5EBE5717BF.jpeg

Hughes engines CNC work has a bad rap with the ports floor being murdered. Inflated flow numbers.
There is a killer thread here on it.

If you know a local porter that is known to be good, that’s a home run.
Modern Cylinder Head has a excellent rep for there CNC program on the Edelbrock heads.

View attachment 1715237562
Yea read a whole bunch about hughes lately.. I'll ask around about head Porter's. But not holding my breath for anyone local. Lol

Rotating assembly has been ordered.. Should be here next week, then I can drop off the block and get the machine work done. Still searching around for heads and such, hoping to kill some time maybe the trickflows will come out in december, just need to use some pretty thick head gaskets to get the compression back down to a manageable level.

Also got a cam recommendation from Bullet. Pretty damn close to the Comp cams 308R, although timings are different.
Intake

261 @.050”

.408” lobe lift, .612” with 1.5 rocker

292 advertised duration

.014” hot valve lash

Exhaust

267 @.050”

.408” lobe lift, .612” with 1.5 rocker

298 advertised duration

.014” hot valve lash

108 lobe separation

104 intake centerline

IO 27
IC 55
EO 66
EC 22

Rotating assembly has been ordered.. Should be here next week, then I can drop off the block and get the machine work done. Still searching around for heads and such, hoping to kill some time maybe the trickflows will come out in december, just need to use some pretty thick head gaskets to get the compression back down to a manageable level.

Also got a cam recommendation from Bullet. Pretty damn close to the Comp cams 308R, although timings are different.

The Bullet is what I’d use. It’ll kick the Comp Cams ***.

oh i'm sure.. the valve timing would up the Dynamic compression a good bit. especially for my altitude (4500+ft)

It's so cool to see these cars go from yard ornaments to super nice drivers. I really like the white color. I saw earlier in the thread you was looking at the paintforcars paint what did you end up using? I'm planning on using the paintforcars.com sunburst orange metallic bc/cc.

It's so cool to see these cars go from yard ornaments to super nice drivers. I really like the white color. I saw earlier in the thread you was looking at the paintforcars paint what did you end up using? I'm planning on using the paintforcars.com sunburst orange metallic bc/cc.
I didn't, I ended up with Summit single stage.. and being the first time painting I really did mess it up.. it looks good from about 10ft.. but any closer and you can see my mistakes. Which is ok. I'll eventually paint it again and do a better job.

But we did find a Painforcars metallic burgundy that is very close to the color the duster has. So we might end up using it for that car.

I didn't, I ended up with Summit single stage.. and being the first time painting I really did mess it up.. it looks good from about 10ft.. but any closer and you can see my mistakes. Which is ok. I'll eventually paint it again and do a better job.

But we did find a Painforcars metallic burgundy that is very close to the color the duster has. So we might end up using it for that car.
Ok cool I was just wondering if you did use it how you liked it. I have been and forth for a while and cant make up mind lol. Originally I was gonna use single stage enamel from paintforcars.com then I changed my mind and decided to go with summit single stage urethane just because I thought it would be better quality. I started asking questions on here and everyone pushed me towards the bc/cc system since I'm a beginner and I'm looking at a metallic color. So that pushed me back towards the paintforcars.com because that's about the only bc/cc system i can afford lol. Anyways great job on your dart I hope mine turns out that nice.

Ok cool I was just wondering if you did use it how you liked it. I have been and forth for a while and cant make up mind lol. Originally I was gonna use single stage enamel from paintforcars.com then I changed my mind and decided to go with summit single stage urethane just because I thought it would be better quality. I started asking questions on here and everyone pushed me towards the bc/cc system since I'm a beginner and I'm looking at a metallic color. So that pushed me back towards the paintforcars.com because that's about the only bc/cc system i can afford lol. Anyways great job on your dart I hope mine turns out that nice.
I would do bc/cc instead of single stage again. Easier to fix if you mess up lol.

I would do bc/cc instead of single stage again. Easier to fix if you mess up lol.
I hear everyone say that. I understand to a degree. But what if you mess up in the clear stage can you just sand that one spot down and reclear that one spot?

I hear everyone say that. I understand to a degree. But what if you mess up in the clear stage can you just sand that one spot down and reclear that one spot?
add more clear and sand it smooth. basically. depends on how bad it was botched.

Pretty parts,you building a stroker ?
Yep, 410 that is in the car is going in the woman's duster. New engine will be a 408, solid roller, around 11.3ish compression. Should be good times.

-
Back