Too Much Carburator?

-

GO DART

Reaction score
Recently Bought A Killer 70 Dart 340 Swinger From A Local Mecum Auction (what Fun) And This Thing Is A Lil Beast. My Question Is I've Had 2 Episodes When On The Hiway It Seems To Burped Gas Or Possibly Oil On The Exaust Leaving A Heck Of A Smoke Trail Until It Burns Off. No Notice Of A Drop In Oil Press Or Anything. Just A Splash Of Gas Maybe Oil. The Motor Is Preety Radical W/ Cam, High Rise, And 750 Holly, Headers. At The Chrysler Classic Weekend Some Guy Said The 340 Couldn't Possibly Use All The Gas Running Thru The Carb, But Its Not New, And Is A Well Built Car. Any Thoughts?

A 750 is perfect for a well built 340. I have a 650 on mine. Want to trade ? LOL

i agree a radical 340 would need a 750...i bounce back and forth between a 650 and a 750 on my cuda..no prob

if its a carb problem It could be running rich, wrong power valve in the carb, High float level. If its oil it could be valve guides or seals. Is the smoke black, blue or white ?

White would be water in the combustion chamber, usually from bad head gaskets or a cracked head or block. Blue would from oil and black is fuel.

thanks for the help. I drove the dart today to see if i could duplicate the problem. After some hiway time here came the :shaking: whiteish smoke so i pulled off and have found transmission fluid coating the trans pan. A quick call to a mopar trans guy and he suspects cooling problem w/ the transmission. (ugh)
So i'll have it towed and wait for his call. Hopefully won't need a complete re-build as it shifts strong.

sounds like a plugged vent on the tranny -when presure builds high enuff it squirts out and hits the exhaust. My experience has been that when the tranny is overheated the shifts get sloppier and sloppier until it acts like it is freewheeling between gears ...but thats just what my experiences have been

OUTLAW said:
sounds like a plugged vent on the tranny -when presure builds high enuff it squirts out and hits the exhaust. My experience has been that when the tranny is overheated the shifts get sloppier and sloppier until it acts like it is freewheeling between gears ...but thats just what my experiences have been

I can't notice any difference when this happens. But the amount of fluid released leaves a heck of a smoke trail (just ask anybody scurrying to get from behind me).

well a little bit of oil makes tons of smoke ...have you noticed the level going down? must be a breach in the gasket or maybe over full ?????

I've checked the trans fluid in netural (warm) and shows low. I can't help but think the dip stick couldn't be far off. someone I spoke to mentioned a modulator which makes sense because I've seen fluid i thought was oil on the flat part of intake manfold but is probably trans fluid. I can't find the hose connected to the intake he's talking about which he's warned may be full of trans fluid. any thoughts? note its a holly street/strip dominator thanks

Thats GM TH350s that have a hose running up to the intake. Chryslers dont use that set up.

is it possble that you get a lot of preasure inside the transmission because of a plugged vent on the transmision that partialy makes it spit some oil up thru the dippstick? that may explain your oil on the manifold and that may be an evidence that the vent is plugged! like adam said no modulator on mopar, thats a GM thing

duster340 said:
is it possble that you get a lot of preasure inside the transmission because of a plugged vent on the transmision that partialy makes it spit some oil up thru the dippstick? that may explain your oil on the manifold and that may be an evidence that the vent is plugged! like adam said no modulator on mopar, thats a GM thing

where can i find the vent? do i have to remove the pan or is it acessible from under the car? any simple way to check for this? thanks

i eill have a look tonight or in the morning have a spare 904 automatic in my garage!

-
Back