Tool Organization

-

Bad Sport

HALF A BUBBLE OFF
Staff member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm looking for a good way to organize my tools in the drawers. Are there some reasonable priced products that are efficient in doing this. I have tons of sockets, wrenches, screwdrivers that need some order to them.

Just trying to find some ideas here. I have been looking online here and have not found what I was originally looking for.

I have the strips for my sockets and hate them. I need to get something so it's just reach in and pickup. I am also looking for something inexpensive, so what are y'all using?

I have the same problem and haven't found a decent solution to it. I bought some socket organizers at auction but there is a big space between each socket and ate up my space. I would needed 3 tool boxes to handle what was in one.

$(KGrHqFHJCME-h--7GLzBPvkRz!VC!~~60_35.GIF

I have the same problem and haven't found a decent solution to it. I bought some socket organizers at auction but there is a big space between each socket and ate up my space. I would needed 3 tool boxes to handle what was in one.

I know there is a good solution, I just haven't found it yet. Well at least something I like. I currently have 4 boxes on wheels and I really just want to set the drawers up so they are efficient. I can't handle everything just rolling about in the drawers.

Here you go:

These rock! The sockets stand on them, but you don't have to pry them off like you do on the strips. Plus each peg has the size of socket at the top. They make them in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2.

I bought a set of each for 6 and 12 point. It allows me to keep all my 3/8 stuff in the same drawer. One day I will have a real tool chest, but not one day real soon...

http://www.sears.com/hansen-global-...SPM5956014408P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

7103500802p

That's kinda was I was looking for but I couldn't find them online. I guess I wasn't typing in the correct terms.

Now if I can find some a little less expensive, I need about twice as many as what's there.

Thanks.

Here you go:

These rock! The sockets stand on them, but you don't have to pry them off like you do on the strips. Plus each peg has the size of socket at the top. They make them in 1/4, 3/8 and 1/2.

I bought a set of each for 6 and 12 point. It allows me to keep all my 3/8 stuff in the same drawer. One day I will have a real tool chest, but not one day real soon...

http://www.sears.com/hansen-global-...SPM5956014408P?prdNo=2&blockNo=2&blockType=G2

7103500802p
Harbor freight has the same thing only cheaper

For wrenches, I prefer hanging them on the wall to digging through the box.

After a couple of half-assed solutions like pegboard and whatnot, I bought these overpriced deals from Griot's Garage. It wasn't cheap, but man, I've had them for over ten years and they have made my life so much easier. EDIT: Yes, the electric crescent wrench is a joke.

IMG_1277.jpg

I hang screw and nut drivers too, but those strips are easy and cheap to find.

Amazon has them for 49.95, we're getting there.

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B001C6NL52/ref=pd_lpo_k2_dp_sr_3?pf_rd_p=486539851&pf_rd_s=lpo-top-stripe-1&pf_rd_t=201&pf_rd_i=B000VSDKS0&pf_rd_m=ATVPDKIKX0DER&pf_rd_r=1JA99TP6M9YM92AG3QR9"]Amazon.com: Hansen (HNE92000) Socket Tray Six Pack: Home Improvement[/ame]

Search "socket tray" in google. Looks like Amazon has them cheaper.

I try to think about it in a time is money kind of way. Even at a ridiculously low hourly rate, those Griot's things have paid for themselves a thousand times over.

Here's some from Harbor frieght, LOADS cheaper:

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-sae-socket-trayorganizer-68100.html

http://www.harborfreight.com/3-piece-metric-socket-trayorganizer-68102.html

Black wouldn't show grease as much I guess. I don't like the size being down the middle instead of on the pegs, but in practice I'm sure it makes no difference.

I bought them originally off one of the tool truck and ordered the rest online....
For example all my red socket holders are metric and the orange are american,,Green for some specialty sockets...I got magnet bars socket holders from Sears as well...
Martin

Snap on sells them for around 22.00 -28.00 depending on size. A cheap organizer for wrenches is a 1 inch coil spring. Some of my heavy duty customers use them. Must be big truck related.

Go to www.snapon.com and check tool storage out. Lots of great ideas.

I only have one box that has drawers deep enough to stand sockets up in. My top box has a lid and thats where I stand them up and use the pita clips that you snap them in. I would love a new box with deep drawers

Do the sockets set down on there and lift off with ease? I need to get away from pulling on everything when I want something.

The Hansen socket trays are awesome. I've got 6 of them. I also have one of the magnetic Lisle/Snap-On style trays.

Do the sockets set down on there and lift off with ease? I need to get away from pulling on everything when I want something.

Yes they set down & lift off with ease. I like 'em although you do need to use a drawer that's 3 1/2" deep if you're planning
to store deep sockets.

Here's a couple pics...I just started playin' with them this afternoon :cheers:

Attachments

• Socket Organizers 002.jpg
    177.6 KB · Views: 643
  • Socket Organizers 009.jpg
    153.8 KB · Views: 654
-
Back