Top speeds

-

the artful dodger

Reaction score
I was just wondering whats the fastest you have ever gone. or maybe the fastest you have ever taken a car.

My current top speed is 180 km/h and I took my car up to 95 mi/h (speedo is in miles so I didn't feel like converting)

170 mph on a bike. That's 275 km/h...
155 in a car, indicated. That's 250 km/h..
My slant 6 Dart topped out about 118 mph indicated...Not sure how good that is, especially with speedo error.

200+ MPH (or 321+ KPH for the Metric people) on the Autobahn

sounds like good stuff right there, I want to find out if the 120 reading on my speedo is just wishful thinking or not.
Totally depends on how much power you're making and the gearing to back it up.
Even if you have 400hp but 4.88 gears you're going to run out of steam quick. That same 400hp but with 2.76 gears, you'll be a lot closer to the 150 or more mark.
That said, I'm not talking about a 1/4 mile strip. My Top Speed was held for quite a few miles before I slowed the hell down (and then had a F430 go flying by me).

Well I dunno for a stock one barrel three speed 225 it got to 95 pretty easily. I just ran out of road.

I dont know about you guys but unless it's at the dragstrip or a place you know for sure has no cops, I am chicken to see what my cars can do as here in WI if you get caught going I do beleve over 100mph you lose your licence for good, that is enough for me not to try it. BUT back in the day I am talking 1971, my older brother bought a brand new 1970 Plymouth Cuda with a 440 6 pac 4 speed, and I do beleve the speedo in those went up to 150, we were racing a 1969 396ci Chevelle and he pegged his speedo, needless to say the chevelle was toast, so that was the fastest I have ever gone, even though I wasn't driving. did 130 on a Kawaski 900 once, it would have gone ALOT faster, but It scared the crap out of me so I backed off, what a whimp...

You probably got 3.23 of less in the rear (2.94 more then likely) so I can see it get up there to 120

I know the rods will come thru the block on a 225 in a duster at around 120 on a long down hill run this happend in 1986 with my ex wife driving.

I dont know about you guys but unless it's at the dragstrip or a place you know for sure has no cops, I am chicken to see what my cars can do as here in WI if you get caught going I do beleve over 100mph you lose your licence for good, that is enough for me not to try it. BUT back in the day I am talking 1971, my older brother bought a brand new 1970 Plymouth Cuda with a 440 6 pac 4 speed, and I do beleve the speedo in those went up to 150, we were racing a 1969 396ci Chevelle and he pegged his speedo, needless to say the chevelle was toast, so that was the fastest I have ever gone, even though I wasn't driving. did 130 on a Kawaski 900 once, it would have gone ALOT faster, but It scared the crap out of me so I backed off, what a whimp...

In all honesty once you hit decent highway in Sask the cops don't exist. quite nice really.
@sireland67 rods coming through does not sound like fun.

I can remember as a child seeing the 120mph speedo on dads 69 Swinger totally buried while hauling down a road outside of town. I accidentally told mom and she was none too happy!

I have not had the car running at top mechanical condition yet, but I know dad and his friends used to race from a crossroads 4.5 miles out of town. From a stop they would go about 1/2 mile and down a big hill then shut off the engine and see who could coast the rest of the way into town. No power brakes or steering so nothing to loose. I tried in my 88 Honda accord in high school, didn't come close...

Still remember as a kid of 12-13. On the way to the cabin, my old man buried the speedo in our family 400 Chrysler Newport on a two-lane to pass a guy. The look on his face was priceless, especially when he saw the boat/trailer on the hitch lol..

Grant

Still remember as a kid of 12-13. On the way to the cabin, my old man buried the speedo in our family 400 Chrysler Newport on a two-lane to pass a guy. The look on his face was priceless, especially when he saw the boat/trailer on the hitch lol..

Grant

probably the same look when I passed an aveo going 85 miles, well above the posted speed limit. one of those 'but its old' looks.

150 in a convertible, yea my hairdoo was slicked back

as for the duster not sure spedo doesnt work

I think i had the 318 dart wound up to 120, still had more to go too.

The slant 6 4 door dart I had topped out at 95, it had nothing more left in it. Considering it was my first car that was probably a good thing!

I buried the 150mph speedo in my 74 rusty road runner with a stock stroke indybrock-headed 360, with 2.94 8 1/4 on an empty highway-very exciting, won't happen again on a highway-especially when I discovered screws/caulked in floor pans under my carpet afterwards. Polyurethane bushings and super stock leaf springs, no subframe connectors-before I discovered the floor pans, I could turn 180 degrees at 55mph. God I love Mopars, and he must love me, cause I am still alive!

135mph in my sebring slowed down to 80 for a blind curve and a tractor with a hay trailer pulled out infront of me :banghead:

Hey 67 is that why she's the Ex?
In the mean time 115on the florida turnpike right after they built it....most of you guys know the story.
But as soon as I can get er done its the Silver state classic and the 135mph class!
Andrew

Had my 67 Dart convetible up to 85mph, started doing the Chrysler shimmy, then backed off. Guess I'm kind of chicken, I will push everything I own up to 100mph once except for my scooter (86 Honda Helix) that topped out at 69mph. Even had my 51 Plymouth up to 100mph (318 auto, with stock 51 front suspension, massive bumpsteer). Had an 80 Monte Carlo with a 327, 4 barrel, thought I broke the 85mph speedo cause it seemed like it took forever to drop down off of 85 mph. Had my 08 Honda Shadow 750 up to 100mph for a very brief moment.

A while ago I was running 3.23 gears and during dyno tests it went 21.5 mph per 1000 rpm. I've gone about 4 exits on the local freeway at 2am at 8200 rpm. That engine would go to 8450 rpm without any problems. It bent pushrods at about 8800rpm.

Approximately 175 mph

My old high school 340 Duster would have quite a bit of pull left at 143 mph but it was at 6000 RPM and I figured that was enough for extended periods of time. I am not sure how accurate the speedo was but every time I got pulled over they weren't too far off.

I have had 3 other cars faster than that including a couple Mustang GT's and my new Challenger RT. The fastest I went was an indicated 170+ on my old RF900R. There is a section of I-75 that has trees in the median with very few crossovers for cops to hide and normally not much traffic. I was travelling on my bike at 150+ no cars in site one time when all of the sudden my mirror folded in from the wind. Wind gets violent quickly once you pass 150 mph. Top speed takes more and more aerodynamics or horsepower once you are over 100 mph.

-
Back