Torque Converter for 273/904- Am I Screwed?

-

archlab

Reaction score
Hiya Ya'll.
I think I've got a challenge - My Torque Converter (TC) for my 1967 Barracuda is Dead. This TC is the @!#!#! small Crank Journal/19-Spline (I think that's correct?) type, so I can't use my other 2 904 TCs from later 318/904s that I have laying around.

My questions are these:
1) Is there any way of adapting the post-1968 TC to the pre-1968 273?
-or-
2) Is there another TC from later generation 904s/ Tf-6s/ 727s/ etc? that will bolt up? Perhaps one from a 1990s Dakota?
-or-
3) Does someone have this 273/904 TC for sale? or, Does anyone know who
to contact about one? Yeah, I'm cheap, too...I know, it's horrible to be an A-Body guy sometimes (please fergive me fellers).

Anyway, I really respect the Technical knowledge of you guys, so I axx humbly for your help in solving this bee-atch of a problem.

Thank You...

Hiya Ya'll.
I think I've got a challenge - My Torque Converter (TC) for my 1967 Barracuda is Dead. This TC is the @!#!#! small Crank Journal/19-Spline (I think that's correct?) type, so I can't use my other 2 904 TCs from later 318/904s that I have laying around.

My questions are these:
1) Is there any way of adapting the post-1968 TC to the pre-1968 273?
-or-
2) Is there another TC from later generation 904s/ Tf-6s/ 727s/ etc? that will bolt up? Perhaps one from a 1990s Dakota?
-or-
3) Does someone have this 273/904 TC for sale? or, Does anyone know who
to contact about one? Yeah, I'm cheap, too...I know, it's horrible to be an A-Body guy sometimes (please fergive me fellers).

Anyway, I really respect the Technical knowledge of you guys, so I axx humbly for your help in solving this bee-atch of a problem.

Thank You...

You can change the input shaft on a your trans. to make it a 27 spline so a 68-up converter will work but all 68 and up converters have the large diameter crank pilot so if you have a 67 or older engine you can't make it work.

Most converter companies will make a converter that'll work for you. Recently another guy posted about a similar problem and he called Hughes converters and they made him one at no extra cost. Another fellow said PTC converters did the same for him. I'd call one of them. If you just want a stock converter here's a link to one

http://www.bulkpart.com/Merchant2/m...Code=2&Product_Code=403&Category_Code=A904tcN

They only show 6 cyl. converters but they'll work behind a V8, just stall a little more. Unless your running a lot of power it'll be fine. If you are running a lot of power or need a high stall unit try one of the companies I mentioned above.

I have a converter that has only about 600 miles on it. I took it out of my 273/904 barracuda 2 years ago when I switched input shafts to a 68 up higher stall converter.
The 273 converter has a neutral balance and a stock stall and will work on 67 and earlier trans.
E-mail me if your interested.

-
Back