Torque Converter Guidence?

-
For your application I would simply go to my local transmission parts shop and get a reman stock 340 converter. Even something from Daaco would work fine. Probably under 200 bucks.

Here.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Torqueflite...r_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3375188eea

That will probably be perfect. I assume we are talking about a 904 transmission? If not, he has similar converters for the 727. That's Pat Blais. Look at his feedback. He has an excellent reputation in the transmission world. I wouldn't worry about any of those other companies we've talked about for your car. Just too much money and slap not necessary.

If its a 904, I've got a stock 318 converter with the stall raised to 2200 you could try. I'd avoid anything from Dacco, just too many issues I've seen and its all Transtar now anyhow.
TCS is another good brand if you want a top of the line converter, but like all the top ones, the cost is up there.

If its a 904, I've got a stock 318 converter with the stall raised to 2200 you could try. I'd avoid anything from Dacco, just too many issues I've seen and its all Transtar now anyhow.
TCS is another good brand if you want a top of the line converter, but like all the top ones, the cost is up there.

Transtar, Daaco they are all the same. We used literally hundreds of both at the transmission shop where I worked for about two years and never had any problems. They certainly are not the best to look at for performance, but for general purpose they work good.

So would it be worth it to go with a low-end "performance" torque converter over a straight-up stock replacement?

Most reviews and discussions of the hughes line seem to be positive and the price is doable for me.

I think that factory hi stall I linked to is perfect. It will probably end up around 2K or so. Read the description. He pretty much spells it out.

That one does seem pretty much all I need and at a good price. I'm just bummed it wouldn't ship out until Saturday so I'd have to wait another week before the rebuild.

I suck at patience. haha

We use that dynamic converters from Frank Lupo as are using one in our 408 stroker runs 11.50s it's there 9.5 converter we drive it on the street and drag race it very street friendly and it's a 4200 stall Woke the car right up. Cut our best 60 foots with it so far 1.58 in a 3200 pound Volare

i would not spend anything over $300.00 on a converter that isnt intended for the track or a hot street car.you have to know what you have in the engine to get a good performance converter.if you dont need a 9-10" with some stall,why get it.i quess what im saying is dont spend 5-6 hundred bucks if you dont need to

After some intense snooping around online, I decided to go with the Pat Blais converter.

Guy has got quite a reputation for quality work specific to TFs and the price was agreeable for my wallet.

Bummer that I won't be able to get this done this weekend, but it is what it is. Maybe I'll take a day off next week and pull an all nighter. :)

One last quick question for you guys that I don't want to make a whole new post for:

Sprag kit (just replacement rollers and springs) for a '72 a904... 10 or 12 roller? I'm pretty sure it's 10, but I want to be certain.

Thanks again for all your help. Y'all are awesome!

Bill and Al's not so excellent adventure?

That was a nightmare. Put an ATI in it and never another problem! I won't call them either. We have an acronym for PTC around here.

Not sure I'd spend 500-700 on converter for a car like this. It's got a stockish cam in it and 2.76's. I've had good luck with shelf hughes 2500 converters, 20mpg in a 360 demon and 2.94 gears.

:violent1:.... I was at Vegas on I think round 4. Bill unloads the car, warmed it up, brought it up on the brake in the pits..... and it broke yet again. Believe the next PTC the splines were so f'ed up out of the box they couldn't get it on the input shaft. Pretty amazing ordeal for the accolades ptc gets.

....and I agree with part II of this. Don't get carried away on $$$. I always like to use local to keep shipping down if adjustments or probs arrive, but for my race cars Lenny has always gotten our business. good luck on your choice!

I think you will be very satisfied with Pat's converter. His reputation is outstanding. He kept me on the phone once for over an hour making sure I had a correct valve body and verifying everything. Super nice guy. I don't think you went wrong.

It also matters what engine the stall is rated for. A 318 will most likely stall at a lower RPM than a 340. I.E., A 2400 stall behind a 340 may only stall at 2,000 behind a 318.

It also matters what engine the stall is rated for. A 318 will most likely stall at a lower RPM than a 340. I.E., A 2400 stall behind a 340 may only stall at 2,000 behind a 318.

Pat's got all that listed on the Ebay auction. Click the link and give it a look.

Just wanted to add a little update.

Pat Blais is an awesome dude!

I was bummed because his listing said it wouldn't ship until tomorrow. Got an email letting my know it was already on it's way yesterday! Car is up in the air and the trans is almost out. TC will arrive tomorrow and everything is gravy baby. :)

If anybody needs tf stuff, Here's the ebay store.

I did install the TC I got from Pat Blais and I am very happy with it.

Along with the converter, I did a full rebuild of my 904, installed a trans-go tf-3 full manual valve body, Tru-cool m7b cooler plumbed with stainless braided ptfe lines, and a Hurst Pro-Matic ratchet shifter.

Feels like a completely different car.

I definitely recommend Pat Blais as a top notch TC builder. :)

I did install the TC I got from Pat Blais and I am very happy with it.

Along with the converter, I did a full rebuild of my 904, installed a trans-go tf-3 full manual valve body, Tru-cool m7b cooler plumbed with stainless braided ptfe lines, and a Hurst Pro-Matic ratchet shifter.

Feels like a completely different car.

I definitely recommend Pat Blais as a top notch TC builder. :)

Thanks for the reply. I have one on order.

Bill and Al's not so excellent adventure?

That was a nightmare. Put an ATI in it and never another problem! I won't call them either. We have an acronym for PTC around here.

Not sure I'd spend 500-700 on converter for a car like this. It's got a stockish cam in it and 2.76's. I've had good luck with shelf hughes 2500 converters, 20mpg in a 360 demon and 2.94 gears.

Yeah, PTC. they suck.

-
Back