Torque Converter suggestions for 340/904?

-

zig

Reaction score
Hello,
I have my trans out being rebuilt. They are installing a powerband kit, mild trans go shift and all new seals and stuff. Sounds like it will handle plenty of power.. Now I'm torn on the torque converter. I have a rebuilt 73 340 that I am hooking up to it. It is stock bore/stock crank, 2.02 intake valves in stock heads, air gap intake, comp cams XE274H cam, will put headers, and nice carb. So I am thinking I am realistically in the 350 hp range... It will be 95% street driven. The only drag racing will be just for fun...

When I bought the cam from Mancini's he said at least a 2500 stall. This is my first build, so any help would be appreciated. The trans guy was going to order a converter, but really wants to make sure what I want. Anyone else have similar combo?

Thanks..

I had the same cam in a 360 and used a 3000 stall and it was perfect for street cruising. I wouldn't go less than 2800 cause that cam doesn't come on until then.

Thanks for the suggestion... I am going away for a week, so I need to pick something out after labor day. I see summit carries Hughes converters. I know in general hughes has good mopar stuff. Seems like a reasonable price too... I don't want to go to crazy..

Hughes makes good converters but from my experience with them they stall less than their rated at by 200-400 rpm. I think that's what bamamopar was referring to. As far as not wanting to go crazy keep this in mind, 25 yrs. ago a 3000 stall was a beast to drive on the street cause it slipped a lot. Converter technology has came a long way. I have a PTC that will brake stall 3100 and flash about 3300 and when I drive normal (not gearheading it) you'd think it was a nearly stock converter. Doesn't slip a bit. For that reason I always go loose on the converter for the extra umph. After all, isn't that the reason we put a bigger cam, high rise intake, and headers on our cars? Why do that and choke it down with a less than optimum converter? JMHO

Yea fishy that's. Who I am going with is ptc and they said with the same set up a 35k would be about ek. I would just call them and ask them.

I have a set up like yours on a 360 Im running a 2000lb Hughes from summit no problems or regrets.

I've got a Hughes 2600 stall torque convertor in my 360/904 combo built with similiar specs to your 340. I'm very happy with it.

i order and got mine from dacco 1/2 the cost of most converters 300$ for a 3500 been driving the piss out of it for a year now no problems ... took about a week for them to build it and send it to me ... just my 2 cents worth

I have always had great results from ACC's Boss Hog converters. They will re-flash them if you change things like your cam too.

Looks like they are doing some work on the website, but I usually just call them anyway - nice folks:

888-267-7464

B.

-
Back