Torque Wrench???

-

pacuda59

pacuda59
Reaction score
I'll need a torgue wrench for a project I'm working on and figure I'll need to use it for others. Instead of going the Craftsman (Chinese) route, I thought I'd look on eBay. Any suggestions for a manufacturer....and size?

Thanks

I have had a 1/2" for years (MATCO I think), but there are a lot of lower torque values that are needed, so I picked up the 1/4 and 3/8 at Harbor Freight. I would think the 'tool truck' wrenches would be best quality, or even old Craftsman, but if buying used may have had a hard life and need recalibrated. I had my 1/2" calibrated shortly after I got it and have not used it much. I did try to test the HFs against each other on the same bolt by finding a value they could both do and they seem to be pretty close - of course they could both be wrong...

Thanks Guys!

Where would you get a wrench re-calibrated?

I can get many brand name wrenches calibrated. Most are in the $50 range without repairs. Sometimes they need parts which can't be found if the tool is a off brand. I don't know your budget but the Precision Instruments are very high quality and they are the only ones that won't be damaged if not backed down to low torque for storage. The micrometer style (screw the handle in and out for torque) has a spring inside that will get weak and take a set if left set at higher torque. They don't stay calibrated as long as the Precision wrenches which have a tuning fork type unit inside. If you buy a used cheapie off e bay you might get a tool that can't be calibrated or repaired. tmm

I'm with T.M.Mike.Buy quality. I know he is Mac so no offence,, But our local Snap on man has a test stand on his truck for checking calibration.Mine it close to 40 years old and still right on the money.

I agree with your quality thought. I just don't know how often I'll use a torque wrench.

I love my MAC with the swivel head.Im told you cant buy them any more thow Im sure( toolman Mike) can tell you more about that..I also have and old army surplus one that has allways been right one the money.and its the one you can get at sears for around 20.00 bucks.what ever you buy make sure its one you can get recalibrated if need be.I would not suggest the one with a lite or the dial on it.becuse you or I think you will NOT get an acrete reading unless you youes it on a daly basses.and allways keep it in the box and put out of site..and I never lone it out unless I go with it.I have lost 3 of them doing it.they mysteriously go missing or stolen. If you check with TOOLMAN,Mike,he mite have one that's been traded in.....Artie

maybe mike can give you a part# and pic.of the one like I have??? this will be a life time tool that can be handed down to you sons or famly

I have two Snap On Torque wrenches. One like this for a 1/2":

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-1-2...93731142?pt=US_Hand_Tools&hash=item5af7293b46

One like this for a 3/8":

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Snap-On-Tor...52473276?pt=US_Hand_Tools&hash=item2c75a782bc

The 1/2" drive unit I have still has the light that lights up when you reach the desired torque. Those old ones with the dial gauge are some of the toughest hardest to get out of calibration torque wrenches ever made. I sniped it off Ebay for 69 dollars. I gave it to my Snap On man and he checked it and it was not even out. They are that good. Nothing in the world wrong with buying good used tools.

Have a snap on 1/2"and a Mac 3/8" both work good but I'm more partial to the snap on.

TMM - what is approx cost for calibration now?

Most calibrations are around $50. More if repair parts are needed. Most if not all the Snap On torque wrenches mentioned above were made by Precision Instruments. The same brand I gave sold for years. tmm

you asked what size you should get, 1/2 or 3/8. What torque range are you using it on? I have a 3/8 that is good up to about 75 ft lbs and a 1/2" that is good up to 150. I recently bought a 1/4 cuz I needed to do something with inch lbs. I like the 3/8 for anything under 60-70 ft lbs but use the 1/2 for stuff 70 and up. Also, with the 3/8 being a bit shorter, it is easier to use under the hood and other spots where the longer 1/2 is a bit cumbersome.

I used a little beam type 1/4 torque wrench for small stuff like adjusting transmission bands.

-
Back