Torqueflite Question

-

Crewdog89

Reaction score
Hi guys!

so I’m sure this is going to be a stupid question but I have to ask it anyway. Just purchased my first classic car and chose the 65 Barracuda. Came with the 273 commando and the torqueflite 3 speed. My dumb question is should I be able to see the flywheel from outside the bell housing? Searching for a leak because a previous owner “did some engine work” and the entire drip pan to include the lower part of the block is covered in oil and soot. Long story short I was degreasing throw undercarriage and components and saw the flywheel. I attached a photo so you guys can get a visual. Is that normal? Thanks for the help!

45AE8167-CDCE-4A1A-9E0B-53ABD41BD584.jpeg

Yes, since it's missing the dust cover. That's not a flywheel, either. It's the ring gear on the torque converter. You should probably locate another dust cover, although that won't fix your leak.

Hi guys!

so I’m sure this is going to be a stupid question but I have to ask it anyway. Just purchased my first classic car and chose the 65 Barracuda. Came with the 273 commando and the torqueflite 3 speed. My dumb question is should I be able to see the flywheel from outside the bell housing? Searching for a leak because a previous owner “did some engine work” and the entire drip pan to include the lower part of the block is covered in oil and soot. Long story short I was degreasing throw undercarriage and components and saw the flywheel. I attached a photo so you guys can get a visual. Is that normal? Thanks for the help!

View attachment 1715958830
that oil is dark so likely the rear main seal is leaking. After you degrease things, drive the car a bit and get under it with a light and look where the leak is coming from. Could be higher than the main seal (i.e. oil pressure sender, rear seal on the intake manifold, etc.). Yes, the trans dust cover should be replaced to keep dirt & debris out of the bottom of the trans. Welcome to the classic Mopar family!

Looks to me like there's a drip coming right off the drain plug. You might try a new drain plug gasket.

Thanks guys for the info! Yea I’m in the middle of degreasing it now the leak extended from the front of the oil pan, along the sides of it, and towards the rear spraying the bell housing and oil pan for the xmsn along the way. I’m planning on replacing the rear main, oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets and getting that dust shield replaced

Thanks guys for the info! Yea I’m in the middle of degreasing it now the leak extended from the front of the oil pan, along the sides of it, and towards the rear spraying the bell housing and oil pan for the xmsn along the way. I’m planning on replacing the rear main, oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets and getting that dust shield replaced
Mtrhead had some inspection covers for sale a few weeks ago, give him a shout.

Newbies always decide how to fix something before they figure out what actually needs fixing. Probably just the engine front seal.

Newbies always decide how to fix something before they figure out what actually needs fixing. Probably just the engine front seal.

I was doing the oil pan because I’m taking it off to replace the rear main and there was oil residue alone the edges of the valve cover gaskets as well. Not necessarily a newbie when it comes to maintenance. I’m a full time UH60 mechanic here in Utah and I’m just putting forth a “fix the small things now before they become bigger issues” mentality. I would rather throw a hundred bucks into replacing multiple gaskets than running dry and having to replace something bigger I won’t be able to afford right away. Plus most of this work is in the same general area so why not give her something new

How do you know the rear seal is leaking?

previous owner I purchased the vehicle from last week verified it was leaking from there. However it’s also leaking from the front of the drip pan so instead of doing one thing at a time I figured since I’ll already be under there I’ll replace everything I can to mitigate the possibility of still having a leak and having to go back under again

Somebody else says so? Have you ever taken a pan off? This isn't a very good example of how to work on a vehicle. You don't just tear stuff apart because of what somebody else said. You do your own research. Sounds like you're just creating a bigger problem.

Somebody else says so? Have you ever taken a pan off? This isn't a very good example of how to work on a vehicle. You don't just tear stuff apart because of what somebody else said. You do your own research. Sounds like you're just creating a bigger problem.

I don’t know if you read the previous comments but I said I was “planning” on doing it but that I’m also in the middle of degreasing it to verify. If plans change and I see that it’s strictly just the drip pan then I will just do the drip pan. Trust me I don’t have time to waste or money so I’m very meticulous when it comes to completing maintenance I do all my homework prior to touching/removing/replacing anything and that includes researching forums, talking with those that have experience, and reviewing original manuals. All before I go underneath the car. Same process I use as a helicopter mechanic. You see an issue, postulate theories, test your theories, troubleshoot, isolate the issue, finalize your plan, verify you have all components in stock prior to removing anything (to include other parts/components that might need to be replaced), verify with a technical inspector on the plan and get the okay to proceed (usually because these parts are in the $1000-500,000 dollar range) and get their input, then proceed with the maintenance plan discussed.

What are you calling a drip pan? The oil pan? People love to come up with their own special terminology; I think it's just to confuse others.

Welcome to FABO!

From your picture it appears to be dripping in the center. More than likely a rear main seal. Could also be the oil pan gasket. Folks have a tendency to over tighten oil pan gaskets and create a warped pan rail and leaks. When you have the pan off, check to see if the rails are flat. I normally turn the pan upside down and hammer down around the holes. When reinstalling, I put a day of "Right Stuff" in the back and front corners.

A couple other places that can leak are the oil pressure sending unit that is beside the distributor and the valve covers. Those two can be deceiving.

Good luck. I'm sure after degreasing and driving a little you'll have a better idea where the oil is coming from.

As far as the dust shield, yes it should be installed. My is hanging on the wall. I don't daily drive and try not to get caught in the rain so I'm not in a huge hurry to get it back in.

Welcome to FABO!

From your picture it appears to be dripping in the center. More than likely a rear main seal. Could also be the oil pan gasket. Folks have a tendency to over tighten oil pan gaskets and create a warped pan rail and leaks. When you have the pan off, check to see if the rails are flat. I normally turn the pan upside down and hammer down around the holes. When reinstalling, I put a day of "Right Stuff" in the back and front corners.

A couple other places that can leak are the oil pressure sending unit that is beside the distributor and the valve covers. Those two can be deceiving.

Good luck. I'm sure after degreasing and driving a little you'll have a better idea where the oil is coming from.

As far as the dust shield, yes it should be installed. My is hanging on the wall. I don't daily drive and try not to get caught in the rain so I'm not in a huge hurry to get it back in.

I’ll make sure to double check the pan rails when I have it off. Thanks appreciate all the help! My plan is to be able to make it a daily driver once I focus on all the safety concerns first so I don’t get stuck somewhere because I neglected it haha. For now just a little town cruiser to tinker on and enjoy. Thanks again!

A drip pan is a large shallow pan that people place under their cars to catch drips. I've never heard an oil pan referred to as a drip pan; maybe it's a helicopter thing? but I doubt it. I'm not a mind reader and it isn't one of my goals. If it's an oil pan, why not call it an oil pan? What's the problem there?? And here we have more people guessing what the leak could be. Sure, just tear it all apart, but I'll be jumping on you when it still leaks after you replace all those things. Sympathy will not be tolerated.

A drip pan is a large shallow pan that people place under their cars to catch drips. I've never heard an oil pan referred to as a drip pan; maybe it's a helicopter thing? but I doubt it. I'm not a mind reader and it isn't one of my goals. If it's an oil pan, why not call it an oil pan? What's the problem there?? And here we have more people guessing what the leak could be. Sure, just tear it all apart, but I'll be jumping on you when it still leaks after you replace all those things. Sympathy will not be tolerated.

haha again I meant oil pan not drip pan it was an error in verbiage. At this point it’s clear to me you’re looking for a rise out of me or whoever responds with any type of advice. So I’ll let you get back to your trolling so you can feel superior. Just know it’s not going to happen here because I simply don’t care, especially when arrogance is shown when someone is looking for advice and others are willing to give it happily to help them along the way. Have a good day bud!

You came here for advice and I gave you the best advice of anybody here. You don't like it and want to call names. Rather childish and simpleminded. (my turn)

Replacing the seals, and gaskets to prevent future issues is fine if it gives you peace of mind.
There's a kit that has a dye that you put in the oil, and a black light to see where the leak is coming from. But you would have to clean off all the old oil.
And welcome from Weeki Wachee Florida

A little story of mine. I bought a 94 Jeep Cherokee at an auction. When I was picking it up, some guy comes by when I'm adding oil because it's 2qts low. He says, "it's got a rear main seal leak. They all leak there." When I got it home, I started cleaning, and sure enough the oil was dripping from rear of the oil pan. So I cleaned the area and the pan pretty well, and I began monitoring the leak. It turns out it wasn't a rear seal at all. It was the oil filter adapter. It was dripping oil down the block and down the pan rail and finally dripping off the pan in the area of the rear main seal. It cost like $3 for two o-rings and about 1/2 hrs to fix. It's been drip free for over 150k miles since.

In his defense I see he is fairly new to the site. He also maybe new to doing work on these older cars and not know all the terminology. I thought he was referring to the oil pan, but felt uncomfortable calling it a drip pan. Since we are all here to learn, maybe try to educate instead of dissing someone. As an older guy sometimes I can't think of the correct word say something and then later on think of the right word.

Why are you banging on this guy? He asked for our help not our insults.

I would also check the PCV valve, if it has one. If it's stopped up, that could cause a lot of leaks.

-
Back