Toyota 10.5" ring gear...

-

Bill Dedman

bill dedman
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I was in a Toyota dealership today and they had a display that showed a 2009 Tundra (pickup) ring gear and they were pointing out that it had a diameter of 10.5-inches.

That sounds interesting to me, if ratios are available for it.

I was wondering if any of the gear companies might glom into this rascal and start making 4.56 gears (and others) for it. It could replace the 9-inch Ford. with a diameter that's seventeen percent bigger!

I'm no Toyota fan, but this sounds like it could have possibilities! A quick look on Google showed me that this piece was introduced in 2007. I'm a little late...

Anybody heard anything about this rear end??

Why Would The Gear Mfg's Want To. The Market Is Owned By The 9 Inch & Dana Diffs. The Rest Of It Is Spread Out Thru The 8 3/4, 12 & 10 Bolt Gm Stuff. Mopar Has A 9 1/4 Rear, But It Hasn't Replaced The 9 In. Ford Yet.

Hey man! is that a Toyota rear in yer Mopar??? That's so cool!

Nope. It doesn't sound right.

As far as the "NEW" rear size by the Toyta company, I don't know what gearing is in there or anything about aftermarket gears, but they'll come soon enuff. The smaller Banjo type Toyota rear has alot of ratios from Richmond.

IF you could pick up a junk one, the swap into anything could be cheap since it is an import and not a commonly sought after rear.

Just because the ring gear is 10.5 inchs doesn't mean that its a strong rear end . What about the housing , bearings , axle shafts ( since there is no after market suppliers for it ) . I think I would take an old dana before one of those toys . The dana has proven itself to be stronger than anything I'll ever need .

:thebirdm:
I was in a Toyota dealership today and they had a display that showed a 2009 Tundra (pickup) ring gear and they were pointing out that it had a diameter of 10.5-inches.

That sounds interesting to me, if ratios are available for it.

I was wondering if any of the gear companies might glom into this rascal and start making 4.56 gears (and others) for it. It could replace the 9-inch Ford. with a diameter that's seventeen percent bigger!

I'm no Toyota fan, but this sounds like it could have possibilities! A quick look on Google showed me that this piece was introduced in 2007. I'm a little late...

Anybody heard anything about this rear end??
Yes, and I traded it for an order of Beef with Broccoli.........

Thanks for the information and opinions.

The amount of leverage a pinion gear can exert on an axle is relative to the distance the pinion gear contacts the ring gear from the center of the axle.

A 10.5" ring gear will encounter less stress, turning an axle with any given amount of torque, and all things being the same, will encounter lower breakage experience. That's simple physics.

That's why a Dana 60 (with a 9.75" ring gear) is stronger than an 8.75".

You don't think a Toyota rear end would be "cool" in your MoPar?

I'll tell you what's not "cool." Sitting on the starting line with an immobile car, because the rear carrier bearing caps gave up the ghost on your 8.75" differential at the hit! Happens all the time; I'm just waiting for it to happen to me. Install a Dana?

A Dana has a ring gear that is 11.4-percent larger than an 8.75."

A Toyota 10.5" is 7.7-percent larger than a Dana...

There MAY be aftermarket support for this rear end; I don't know...

IF in fact, it's stronger than a Dana (and, given its size, it should be), I'd rather have the stronger of the two in my car, regardless of who made them, to minimize the chance that I'll have to walk home from the races.

I'll look around some more to see what I can find out. I dunno...

That's why I was asking.

I'm not interested in the "cool" factor; that won't win any races... I'd just like to be able to drive my car home from the strip (instead of walking; it's 60 miles) after a hard day of racing.

I thought maybe this bigger ring gear might be good for that.

I haven't yet seen aftermarket support for the 10.5 but I do know they come stock in either 4.10 or 4.30 ratios.

Thanks for the information and opinions.

The amount of leverage a pinion gear can exert on an axle is relative to the distance the pinion gear contacts the ring gear from the center of the axle.

A 10.5" ring gear will encounter less stress, turning an axle with any given amount of torque, and all things being the same, will encounter lower breakage experience. That's simple physics.

That's why a Dana 60 (with a 9.75" ring gear) is stronger than an 8.75".

You don't think a Toyota rear end would be "cool" in your MoPar?

I'll tell you what's not "cool." Sitting on the starting line with an immobile car, because the rear carrier bearing caps gave up the ghost on your 8.75" differential at the hit! Happens all the time; I'm just waiting for it to happen to me. Install a Dana?

A Dana has a ring gear that is 11.4-percent larger than an 8.75."

A Toyota 10.5" is 7.7-percent larger than a Dana...

There MAY be aftermarket support for this rear end; I don't know...

IF in fact, it's stronger than a Dana (and, given its size, it should be), I'd rather have the stronger of the two in my car, regardless of who made them, to minimize the chance that I'll have to walk home from the races.

I'll look around some more to see what I can find out. I dunno...

That's why I was asking.

I'm not interested in the "cool" factor; that won't win any races... I'd just like to be able to drive my car home feom the strip after a hard day of racing.

I thought maybe this bigger ring gear might be good for that.

I'm all about performance per dollar and good parts is where you find 'em, so would be interesting to know more about this rear end. However, as mentioned earlier, ratio choices might be slim pickins. 4.10 - 4.30 is definitely a good starting point, though. Then you have to deal with the axle bolt pattern, or just use the steel wheel centers from the truck. Old Toyotas happen to accept the 4,5" BC rims but not sure about this one. Maybe 6 lug?

Regarding the explanation about the breakage point of the ring gear - this formula MAY take into account only bevel gears but what about hypoid? The definition of a hypoid gear set is the pinion CL is not in line with the ring gear CL. The 9" Ford has a lower pinion CL than most rear ends, which requires a different helix cut that produces a longer tooth and a wider contact patch but at the expense of HP because of added friction. Think about the oil pump drive gear and how it meshes with the cam gear. That setup is all about friction but I think can handle a lot of load for it's size - kind of like a worm drive.

Interesting topic!!

........Oh, and my theory why Danas got so popular is because they were one of the plentiful strong rear ends of the day. Before that was the early Olds. It just makes sense. Typically anything from a truck was prime pickins'. Ye old timers who were there please correct me if I'm wrong.

GreenSlime,

Thanks for the heads-up with regard to the hypoid angle. As I understand it, Ford created their 9" with an unusually low hypoid angle, to lower the driveshaft in order to minimize the size of the hump in the rear floor.

A pickup truck wouldn't have that consideration to deal with, so, hopefully, this Toyota rear end will have the pinion gear located in a more advantageous location on the ring gear.

Oklacarcollecto and camd64, thanks for that information. A 4.30 would be a good ratio for a lot of street-strip cars; mine only needs a 4.10.

But, of course, serious race cars are going to have to have aftermarket support from Richmond, or somebody like that, to utilize these units. Ratios have to be available up into the high "5"s, at least, to be practical for high-rpm motors in 3000-pound cars.

Sure would be cool if the DO gave a dropout center section. I'll go look at one, tomorrow.

I guess only the V-8s have this rear end.

Hey Bill!

If your that concerned about strength, Chrysler also makes a 10.5" and a 11.5". The 10.5 rear is availible in the 2003-06 3/4 ton pickups as is the 11.5". If that won't work there is always the 2 1/2 ton Rockwells availible. :)

There's more to strength than just the ring gear. Believe me when I say this; people are dumping that toyota axle in favor of the Dana 60 for off-road use. Nothing is tougher on an axle than 400-500 ft lbs engine behind a double reduction Atlas transfer case in low.

You thinking of 10's or below, a Dana 60 will be more than sufficient. Talk to these guys. They make the rear ends for top fuelers: http://www.markwilliams.com/default.aspx

ScreenHunter_01 Sep. 04 01.21.jpg

Thanks, Ramcharger! Good information, there!!!

I'll check out the 10.5" Dodge axle; I wasn't aware they made such an animal!!! I'd rather not get into full floating axle assemblies, if I can stay away from them...

Maybe I'll just run it 'til it breaks and then put a Dana in it; The more I think about putting a Toyota part on my MoPar, the less it appeals to me... "cool" factor, notwithstanding...

I went over to a Toyota truck sales place today, and looked at the V8 rear ends that are reputedly equipped with a 10.5" ring gear.

First off, yes, they are constructed with a front-loaded, dropout center section, just like am 8.75" MoPar rear end. But, they are HUGE!!! They look like that third member would weigh about 125 pounds +... at least!!!

Secondly, they are WAY too wide to fit an A Body without some serious narrowing of the housing and shortening of the axles. No surprise, there...

Thirdly, they have a WEIRD-LOOKING rear U-Joint setup, unlike anything I've seen before... and a driveshaft that's about 4-inches in diameter.

But, the pinion has a reasonably-placed spot on the ring gear and has no severe Hypoid angle like a 9" Ford, but, my Lord... the size of all that stuff.... Looks like it might handle 1200 horsepower...

The stuff under that Tundra looks like it was robbed from a ten ton dump truck!

Looked like if I got it under my Valiant and got it operational, my car would slow down about three and a half tenths... or, more. And, gain about 175 pounds...

Wheels? No way...

Another one of my bad ideas...

Forget I said anything.:angry7:

-
Back