tq converter guesstimating

-

godfatherofchry

Legandary Member
Legendary Member
Reaction score
what do y'all think a 318poly converter will stall behind a healthy 440 in a 66 coronet convertible........Artie

2000 to 2200 maybe? Thats about an 11 inch converter isnt it?Only reason I went that high is the power behind it.

Hard to say. Keep in mind Mopar converters are some of the loosest stock converters there are. Generally, the stock ones were like 1500-1700 and the factory high stalls were about 1000 beyond that. Plus, a stock 318 poly converter will naturally stall higher behind a bigger engine. Might go as high as 3K, you never know.

your were right (RRR) around 3300 and that was what I was looking for along with the carb you did this thing is a bear!!!!!!!!!!!!! thanks again Artie

Who would've ever thunked it...apparentely RRR been doing some morphing of parts and experimenting...wonder what else he knows and aint saying??lol...

what do y'all think a 318poly converter will stall behind a healthy 440 in a 66 coronet convertible........Artie

What year Poly? Early (up to 1966) the input shaft on the transmission had 19 splines, and the converters were a 12" NOT a 11". In 1967 they changed to a 24 spline input shaft, and my catalog still shows a 12" converter for the early 440 engine. You might also want to check on the diameter of the converters pilot, and make sure it's the same size as the bore in the crank.
According to my replacement converter catalog, it made NO difference what engine, except the hemi and the max wedge, was in front of a 727 up to 1966, converters were all the same, and were rated as a medium stall unit. I doubt that you'll get much more than 21-2200 rpm out of a factory 12" unit.

What year Poly? Early (up to 1966) the input shaft on the transmission had 19 splines, and the converters were a 12" NOT a 11". In 1967 they changed to a 24 spline input shaft, and my catalog still shows a 12" converter for the early 440 engine. You might also want to check on the diameter of the converters pilot, and make sure it's the same size as the bore in the crank.
According to my replacement converter catalog, it made NO difference what engine, except the hemi and the max wedge, was in front of a 727 up to 1966, converters were all the same, and were rated as a medium stall unit. I doubt that you'll get much more than 21-2200 rpm out of a factory 12" unit.
Too late RRR debunked the myth with his guess and the godfatha enacted it and the results will go down in history....hard to believe huh?

Too late RRR debunked the myth with his guess and the godfatha enacted it and the results will go down in history....hard to believe huh?

It would be interesting to find out what engine/transmission combination the converter is out of. My 1964 Chrysler parts catalog I just recently got, lists for the 273/313/318/361/383/413 only one part number (2125090) for the converter, and part number 2464314 for the 300k and VC2.

.............I took a 67 poly verter and put it behind a mild 440 with 284/484 purple cam, headers, torker intake, 750dper1700 was the best it would do with a hi gear stall..pretty disappointing, a factory 340 hi-stall replaced it.....kim..........

R.R.R, knows the basic from the old days. The cool part is,not swayed by hype and propoganda.

R.R.R, knows the basic from the old days. The cool part is,not swayed by hype and propoganda.
Yea he just kinda sits back and watches,lurking in the shadows,waiting for some fool to cross the line and WHAM!! right in the forehead with a pistolgrip...lmao..just funnin ya

.................Well I have to call BS on this 1, there is no way in hell a factory stock poly converter will stall that high....unless ofcourse it has been worked by a builder....check for a slipping tranny..........kim.....

-
Back