Trans going in to gear

-

smythge

65 with a BIG BLOCK
Reaction score
I have a weird problem. I have a 727 behind my 440, and when I go from park or neutral to drive it goes in to 1st real soft then a couple seconds I feel a jerk and the car lunges forward and it feels like it is really going into gear. If I try to take off before I feel the lunge the transmission slips. I've checked the fluid it's full. It is a totally stock transmission with a stock torque converter. Give me your thoughts on what might be going on. When the car is in park the motor is ideling about 800rpm then in gear it drops down to about 600.

Sounds like your gearshift linkage may need adjustment. You may also check your throttle linkage and that there isn`t too much fluid in it, which will make it froth.

how is the filter in the tranny? dirty one will act like that..double check the kick down and shifter adjustments,,

Sounds to me like worn clutch plates or leaking seals. Sorry to say but it may need a rebuild. Pull the dipstick out and smell the fluid. Does it smell burned? If so that's a tell tail sign of a trans. that needs rebuilt.

I pulled the dip stick out the fluid smells fine, but it is a tired old transmission. I am going to pull the pan today, and change the filter, also noticed the Lokar kickdown cable was not adjusted properly. I am only hoping to make it few months.

How much fluid will I need to refill- I am not daining the torque converter.

If the fluid smells fine it might be a leaking cluth piston seal. When your at the auto supply getting ATF look for a transmission additive called K&W Trans-X. It's great stuff. I've used it in many transmissions with good results. It will soften older seals and free up sticky valves and may help you get those extra few months you need.

Before a rebuild, how about just a "band adjustment" and filter change at the same time?

Old front pumps sometimes need a few seconds in neutral to fill. When you start it up, just put it in neutral for 30-45 seconds, then go to drive and see if that solves the problem. I've seen it before.

Now my front seal started leaking, guess it's time for a rebuild.

-
Back