Trans leak from small metal cylinder

-

jwicker

Reaction score
See the photo. My trans is happily leaking heaps of fluid from the area circled. The little cylinder, which is typically covered by the rotted rubber sleeve, is sliding in and out freely if I push or pull it. Fluid is dumping out from the joint of the black cable to the back our the cylinder as well as between the cylinder and the housing itself. Hopefully this makes sense.

Any ideas? Should the cylinder move in and out so easily? What should be sealing that isn't?

IMG20231002180814~2.jpg

That's the park cable housing. That cable going into it is the park cable that engages park when you move the park lever into the park position. The park housing has a gasket where it mounts to the tail housing and the park cable also has an O- ring on it. It's one or the other or both that's leaking. Did I say park enough times? lol

That's the park cable housing. That cable going into it is the park cable that engages park when you move the park lever into the park position. The park housing has a gasket where it mounts to the tail housing and the park cable also has an O- ring on it. It's one or the other or both that's leaking. Did I say park enough times? lol
No, you didn’t say park it and fix it while it’s park.

Just don’t park it at the park. The locals get mad when oil leaks on the park grounds. Especially in the parking lot.

Neexxxxt!

That doesn't look like the right bolt to hold the cable in, mine has no head on one side and a smaller nut on the back side... that would be why it slides in and out.. On mine i put a new O-ring and siliconed it.... don't want leaks.

WV64Signet's picture explains it pretty well... But don't be to surprised when getting the proper O ring & pinch bolt doesn't fix it.... The rear band anchor pin is hidden right behind the park cable housing... Very common leak point...

WV64Signet's picture explains it pretty well... But don't be to surprised when getting the proper O ring & pinch bolt doesn't fix it.... The rear band anchor pin is hidden right behind the park cable housing... Very common leak point...

Yessir

20220806_110914~2.jpg

20220806_110727_001.jpg

See the photo. My trans is happily leaking heaps of fluid from the area circled. The little cylinder, which is typically covered by the rotted rubber sleeve, is sliding in and out freely if I push or pull it. Fluid is dumping out from the joint of the black cable to the back our the cylinder as well as between the cylinder and the housing itself. Hopefully this makes sense.

Any ideas? Should the cylinder move in and out so easily? What should be sealing that isn't?

View attachment 1716149489

As mentioned above, it appears that the retaining pin was replaced with a bolt at some point? That could allow fluid travel along the threads.

As mentioned above, it appears that the retaining pin was replaced with a bolt at some point? That could allow fluid travel along the threads.
nope.. the o-ring is in past the bolt.. it shouldn't leak. BUT he said the cable housing is moving in and out, thats why it's leaking.. he just has to make a bolt with the bevel on it to hold the cable in place.. then new o-ring and silicone and it will be fine

-
Back