Trans overheats

-

451 duster

451 duster
Reaction score
I have a 70 duster 340 with a 451 big block and my trans overheats . I bought it fully rebuilt manual reverse built for drag racing ,thats what they told me, Im using a frank lupo 8.5 street n strip converter. I have a cooler with fan. Im wondering, Im using B&M synthetic fluid,is that wrong or is it my converter or since im mainly on the street ,something else.

duster 30.jpg

Buddy of mine was running an 8" converter on the street and his transmission was always running hot. Don't know if that's your problem, but it could be. Hopefully other members will post here with their experiences.

An 8 inch converter slips a LOT. How big is your cooler? You may need to run two of them.

Also make sure there are no kinks in your cooler lines and that you have good flow. If you aren't already running one, a deep aluminum pan will help too.

I have run 8" converters on the street before, one in a 4200lb car, never had problems with excessive heat. I would check the line routing, trans pressure, & band adjustment. Something isnt kosher. How old is the cooler? If it was used when you installed it, did you make sure it was cleaned thoroughly? Could be partially clogged up with old clutch debris.

Think I see why you are having overheating problems. I just read your other thread, I see that you are pulling 3.55 gears. That is a pretty tall gear to run behind a converter like that, and the tires look pretty tall too, probably 28"? I think you are running too much overall gearing for a converter like that, I would try a shorter gear. I still think there is probably another problem there too, but the 3.55s are almost certainly a contibuting factor.

Think I see why you are having overheating problems. I just read your other thread, I see that you are pulling 3.55 gears. That is a pretty tall gear to run behind a converter like that, and the tires look pretty tall too, probably 28"? I think you are running too much overall gearing for a converter like that, I would try a shorter gear. I still think there is probably another problem there too, but the 3.55s are almost certainly a contibuting factor.

I agree. That converter will slip quite a bit under light throttle naturally and when you combine it with street gears and tall tires it makes it slip more.

Im running a griffin radiator that does not have a cooler on the bottom. I am using a derale cooler with fan and it is super hot going in and cold coming out so it seems to be working good. If I were to use a different converter what would I use. I like the streetability of the 3.55s. Any advice would be helpful and thanks to all on the feed backs. MOPAR RULES

What cam is in it? By the sounds of what you have posted, I think an 11" would probably suit your needs, as long as that would be loose enough to let the car idle comfortably in gear.

Doesnt sound like you are planning to drag race this combo with slicks on it or anything, I think an 11" converter would probably work well for you. It would be loose enough to let a 509 idle in gear without any problems, is very streetable, and relatively cheap in the bargain. Sell that racer converter to someone who needs it. Too bad it wasn't for a 904, it would be perfect behind the 360 I plan to put in my Duster. I already have a 727 8" in my parts pile, but I'm betting there are several guys on here that would LOVE to snap your converter up.

no one mentioned stall? curious. i'll bite then. someone recomend a stall.i say 3500 to 4000. thets just me. my 340 has a 10" 4000 against a 3.91 and it is too much fun.

with a 509 you should stall at around 2400 to 3000. your 8 in probably stalls at 4000 or above. with the 3.55 gear you are hardly ever turning enuff r,s to lock it up hence the heat.run some really short tires and see if temp drops any. if so you need a 4.30 or better gear.jmo

I dont really want to change the look of my ride,I like the early 70s super stock look and yes it will be mainly a cruiser with a once in awhile high speed blast, if you know what I mean. So a 11 inch with a stall of 2400-3000 is what I need?

sounds about right to me.the dang thing should pull like a mule backing up a ladder.

-
Back