Trans problems?

-

This Bad Demon

Reaction score
I got a problem.....I come stateside to prepare my car to carry back home with me.....I started the car, let it idle, get hot, an finish tuning the ez efi....Car started good....So I left to get some gas.....On the trip up was good....Left from the corner, back end ready to come round the front....Smokin tires an all :burnout:.....Got gas, on the way back, got on it from the stoplight.....First gear, second gear, third.....once I put more foot on the gas, BANG, car felt like I was slowin down, making that "sprag" type noise....Like if u hit reverse but goin forward still.....Loud bangin noise.....Ok idle it back home....Got to lookin and I see my torque converter bolts loose....Tighten them, but it was no help, the converter holes were stripped out, only one got tight....Ok I kno I got to get a new converter an flexplate, but I was wonderin about the noise an the slowing down sensation....Do you think anything got damage in the trans? I didn't want to rev it up to see if it had second or third gear....I jus let the engine idle in gear back to my sis house....Thanks....

Does it have first gear? Might get lucky and just need a converter. Need to drive it down the street to make sure.

Depending what size converter bolts you have the easiest solution, and possibly could be done in the car - would be to CAREFULLY drill out and tap the mount lugs on the converter to the next size (Hemis used larger converter bolts). You may need to also drill the holes in the flexplate larger to match. Use a small dab of loctite on the bolts when you re install them. You didnt break the diferential did you?

Does it have first gear? Might get lucky and just need a converter. Need to drive it down the street to make sure.

Testing is the only way to find out. If you have some jack stands you could put the rearend up on the stands, test it and see what you have to work with. How far do you have to get it back home?

You might want to check the rearend too.

Thanks for some help!!! After I had pulled over to give a quick look, I had to drive about a half mile back to my sister's house.....At the time I didn't give it any gas jus enough to get into the road and I jus let it coast back to my sister's....Right now I can't even start it because the bolts don't have any threads to catch the mounting pads on the converter and the starter is just spinning the converter.....The converter bolts I got were the 7/16- 5/16-24....I hope I remember the numbers correctly...I kno a 9/16 wrench fits the head of the bolt.....Rear didn't sound rough or anything like that....If I remember right I did drive it home in D and I thinkin that it shift to second when I was coastin, but I ain goin to lie I was so nervous that I truly don't remember if it did shift could've been in second the whole time even though I had it in D......I will see if I can get someone to drill the holes bigger....I have a limited tool selection here at my sis....All my major tools back home....:-( ........

This sounds very similar to what happened to me about a year ago.
My tires locked up going about 65 and then everything was normal for a little while.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=166882&highlight=rear+tires+lock

Basically my trans was in 2nd and 3rd at the same time either from an improperly adjusted front band that literally fused itself to the front clutch retainer or the servo got stuck sideways in the bore and locked the band while the front clutch was engaged as well.

You should pull the pan and see if there is bits of converter in it.
It sounds like the converter exploded.
If it did, you will see small chunks of shiny metal.
If you do see that in the pan, the trans may be ok and just need cleaned out since the filter will keep most of it from going back into the trans.

Eventually it will build up enough small stuff to start sticking the valves in the valvebody and quit shifting.

Pull the pan, and take pics if you can, as a small amount of metalic deposits is normal.

This sounds very similar to what happened to me about a year ago.
My tires locked up going about 65 and then everything was normal for a little while.

http://www.forabodiesonly.com/mopar/showthread.php?t=166882&highlight=rear+tires+lock

Basically my trans was in 2nd and 3rd at the same time either from an improperly adjusted front band that literally fused itself to the front clutch retainer or the servo got stuck sideways in the bore and locked the band while the front clutch was engaged as well.

Yea I remember your thread...I didn't remember seein the cause, I'll go check it out....So I'm figuring you had to get your trans rebuilt....

You should pull the pan and see if there is bits of converter in it.
It sounds like the converter exploded.
If it did, you will see small chunks of shiny metal.
If you do see that in the pan, the trans may be ok and just need cleaned out since the filter will keep most of it from going back into the trans.

Eventually it will build up enough small stuff to start sticking the valves in the valvebody and quit shifting.

Pull the pan, and take pics if you can, as a small amount of metalic deposits is normal.

Unfortunately I had to leave my car and come back home.....Before I parked it I did check the trans fluid and it looked clean....As in I didn't see any metal flakes when held up to the sun and didn't feel any between my fingers.....It was knocking real bad when I did get it started but I know that's from the torque converter bolt holes being stripped out an bolts not gettin tight....

Yea I remember your thread...I didn't remember seein the cause, I'll go check it out....So I'm figuring you had to get your trans rebuilt....

Unfortunately I had to leave my car and come back home.....Before I parked it I did check the trans fluid and it looked clean....As in I didn't see any metal flakes when held up to the sun and didn't feel any between my fingers.....It was knocking real bad when I did get it started but I know that's from the torque converter bolt holes being stripped out an bolts not gettin tight....

A converter failure will usually not show in the fluid by chking it with the stick.
When they fail, the turbins smack together and rip each other to peices and dump the chunks into the pan of the trans.

Ok.....When I come back to the states I'll pull the pan and see if it's anything there....Looking at T56 experience, I probably have to get the trans rebuilt again and a new converter....Do you have any experience with the PTC 2800 stall converter for 275? I'm not tryin to cheap out on a new converter, but I don't think I'll be able to swing for a dynamics again...

-
Back