Trans Shield/Scattershield Options/Alternatives

-

SoulShaker

Reaction score
Good morning,

I’m reaching out for some help from the A-Body Community. It’s a long story but basically, I got placed on the waiting list for a replacement trans shield from CSR Performance in May. Still don’t have a part so I’m looking for alternatives. Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated. I’m running a 727 Torqueflite with big block in a 69 Dart.

IMG_0141.jpeg

Transmission blanket and a flywheel shield in the mean time. I'm still running the old school stuff like that.

I ran a blanket, work out the shift linkage and no other issues. Didn’t run warm etc. I truly believe they would do better in an explosion than the Kevlar/carbon shield. This really equates to body armor. The only “hard” item in body armor is ceramic plates (other than steel). So the best performing armor is ceramic plates with Kevlar fabric. You really don’t see a ridged Kevlar composite. Kevlar works because the fibers CAN move, but that’s just my 2 cents.

Also a plus, the blanket will soak up any possible leaks, short of an explosion. I use the flywheel shield as insurance just in case. The one time I had an explosion, the shield kept parts and pieces from penetrating the transmission tunnel.

I was on the waiting list for over a year for the CSR shield previously. Paid for and no sign of ever getting it. Cancelled my order and got a TCI shield that wouldn’t fit. Unfortunately, if you have a factory floor in the car, your options are limited. A blanket is ok, but I had to make tabs to hold it off the shifter cable and linkage. And got to be careful around the collectors . Not sure about a flex plate shield with the stock firewall and floor

I ran a blanket for a few years and it worked fine. (440 in a 75 duster) Had to make something to make it clear/stay off the cable linkage. I bought a CSR shield when they were readily available probably 10 years ago. Had to beat the firewall/floor pan lip flat and also drill holes to access the bell housing bolts and they are pretty much impossible to install from the engine bay side anymore. Also had to grind the one tab/ear off the transmission housing so the CSR shield fit.

Thank y'all for the feedback. I too have tried the TCI shield and couldn't make it fit. Fortunately I still have my old existing CSR shield.

I had to do the same as moparstud when I put the CSR shield on my small block / 904 Dart : flatten the lip and drill access holes in the firewall . I also had to grind the casting bosses off the bell housing in order for the shield to fit. ( picture is my spare 904 also with the bosses ground off )

IMG_0649.jpeg

OK guys, there's more to this story. I have been giving CSR Performance every opportunity to do the right things, but it looks like that is not going to happen. If you're thinking of buying anything from them, here is my story...

I was originally placed on a waiting list for a CSR transmission shield in early May 2024. I understood that the item was back ordered 6-8 weeks. CSR contacted me on 7/1/2024 and informed me that the product was available. They were ready to take my credit card information and the order was placed. I was told the latest the product would be received would be 7/23/2024. When I did not receive my order, I started contacting them from 8/7/2024. Every time I contacted them, I got nothing but excuses to get me off the phone. I was told “I’ll call you back or I’ll call you back in 30 minutes”. I never received one return call from this company to this day. I have been contacting them several times per week since this time. I have been told the product will “ship next week or it is going to ship today or it’s going to ship tomorrow”. Every time I call, it has been another excuse to get me off the phone. Even though I have been understandably frustrated, I have maintained a respectful tone. At this point, I have communicated to them that I wanted to cancel my order and request a refund. I was then told “Let me call you right back” and no return call. So, this company charged my credit card over two months ago and I still have no product. I have searched on-line and have found very similar horror stories on Google Reviews and with the Better Business Bureau so this merchant has a history of similar activity with other customers. I have filed a charge dispute with my credit card company so I can only hope I can get my money back. Don’t give this company one dime of your money.

CSR Performance Products | Complaints | Better Business Bureau® Profile (bbb.org)

Yep, it seems that CSR has outgrown the original business mold. Years back they were excellent at customer service and being helpful to the user/customer. This no longer is the case, they seem to be out just to boost the bottom line and "To Hell With The Customer"!

I have a friend who had a similar experience with CSR to the OP's in the last 6 months. Fortunately he DID get a refund on his credit card but it was a huge ordeal with lots of drama. Crossed CSR off any possible future business.

Last edited:
Good Luck with getting a refund thru your credit card company , they are usually pretty good when it comes to disputes like this. I know my Amex has gotten me refunds on at least three different disputes.

I know A&A has had CSR shields on order for well over a year, if not closer to 2.

If you’re still in need, I would call A&A and get a blanket ordered. They have DJ safety custom made blankets that fit very nicely over a 727 and 904. One that shouldn’t need a bunch of modifications to make it work.

I know A&A has had CSR shields on order for well over a year, if not closer to 2.

If you’re still in need, I would call A&A and get a blanket ordered. They have DJ safety custom made blankets that fit very nicely over a 727 and 904. One that shouldn’t need a bunch of modifications to make it work.
I got a really nice dj safety blanket from A&A.
Very quality piece.

-
Back