Transmission Mount Question

-

Divenut

Reaction score
Hey Folks,

As some of you may know, developed a little vibration after hammering on it during a post tune-up test drive awhile back. So I'm working through the process of elimination. Finally got a chance to work on the Duster today (Sad I know!). So just replaced the U-Joints, which did not appear worn or loose. Also picked up a new transmission mount and figured I replace the old one while I have the car up on stands. Looks like the trans mount flange is sitting pretty close to the cross member (pic1), and the old mount shows signs of wear when I lifted the trans a bit with the floor jack (Pic 2). Just have a quick question, how much daylight should I expect to see between the trans mount flange and cross member after swapping the mount? I assume there will be some compression from the weight of the trans, and am just curious. Thanks as always!

Pat

tm2_zpsrybei3s9.jpg

8c9460b8-2b5b-444e-bae0-490737cb17d0_zpsqlrfo6h0.jpg

Is that the correct mount for your application? If so than maybe you could shim it up with some washers, it looks like maybe its coming from it touching the crossmember.
Jake

IMG_20161126_134353237.jpg
dont know if this helps you . i have spool mounts on my duster and it looks to be sitting close to where yours is and i havent had any vibration issues

Mines a 4spd but I can't imagine it would look much different. Somethings looks cocked in yours to me or is it just an optical conclusion?............
CmemberTrans.jpg

Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated. Swapped the mount and it looks much better with a bit more daylight between the flange and cross member.

Dave - It does look a bit "kittywampus" in the pics . I think was due to jack not centered well. Still off a hair, but not drastic. Will post a pic when I get a sec. Gonna do some more work while she's on the stands. Will post up the results after I get a chance to test drive. Fingers crossed, but I I know vibrations can be a pain to track down.

Take care,
Pat

Thanks for the replies guys. Much appreciated. Swapped the mount and it looks much better with a bit more daylight between the flange and cross member.

Dave - It does look a bit "kittywampus" in the pics . I think was due to jack not centered well. Still off a hair, but not drastic. Will post a pic when I get a sec. Gonna do some more work while she's on the stands. Will post up the results after I get a chance to test drive. Fingers crossed, but I I know vibrations can be a pain to track down.

Take care,
Pat
makes me wonder if the engine is setting a little cocked too > think you might need to throw a long level across the valve covers-----??

makes me wonder if the engine is setting a little cocked too > think you might need to throw a long level across the valve covers-----??

Ya, looked at the motor mount biscuits, the passenger side may be worn....sigh. always something.

New mount pic... At least it looks like the metal-on-metal contact is resolved!

Mount%20New_zpsd5nvjz0r.jpg

Last edited:
LMAO!... Nope not today! Though it's a good night to do a bit of welding while I got her on the jack stands. Been putting off adding some bracing to the subframe connectors for months!

If the issue popped up after a street-workout, I think I'd be looking to the engine. Did you change the timing during the tune-up? Too much advance can kill plugs. I've seen cracked insulators cause a missfire under load but idle just fine.

If the issue popped up after a street-workout, I think I'd be looking to the engine

You're killing me man!...Why you gotta be a buzz kill LOL. Motor's seems to be running great. I check the flexplate bolts and they're nice and tight. Really feels like a drive line thing. Hoping for the easy fix man....finger and toes crossed. Hopefully I can get it out for a spin before snow flies.

Last edited:
If the issue popped up after a street-workout, I think I'd be looking to the engine. Did you change the timing during the tune-up? Too much advance can kill plugs. I've seen cracked insulators cause a missfire under load but idle just fine.

Hey AJ, thanks for the tip. Advanced it a hair, but really just the basic tune-up stuff, i.e. plugs, cap rotor, checked the wires etc. But I'll take a look at the plugs just in case. Thanks again man.

Pat

hey, I kept it simple; $3 for a plug.
I didn't mention that SBMs don't always take kindly to high rpm. And unless the oiling mods are done the occasionally like to puke out a front rod bearing;which if caught early is limited to vibration,soon a knock, a squeek and then it rolls over and jams the crank to a stop. See, I didn't mention that.
I also didn't mention that if a lifter pumped up it can send the valve into the piston crown. If it's a light tap, sometimes it survives, but most of the time the valve gets rearranged but if you're lucky, it still almost closes, and you are limited to a vibration. See I didn't mention that either.
I also didn't mention the much rarer occurrence where a piece of the piston skirt ends up in the pan, and, oh,BTW this will for sure be a vibration. See, I was thinking I didn't want to scare you.
I also didn't talk about a few other minor things,like slightly bent pushrods,or slipped balance ring on the dampner,a blown cord in the fanbelt, or a plugged airbleed, or as you already checked, a cracked flex-plate.
Naw I was looking to be gentle, so I stuck with a cracked plug insulator.
Heaven forbid a camlobe fell off.

Update: Well, the weather was great here last Saturday, sunny and in the 50's. So I opened up the garage, replaced the leaking Trans Pan Gasket, and finally was able to get the Duster out for a test drive. Planned to just take a 5-10 minute spin around the block to make sure it was shifting OK and determine if the vibration issue was resolved. Welllll, 1 1/2 hours later I pulled back into the garage! My wife was wondering what took so long and thought I may have broke down LOL. Happy to say the issue is resolved. Ended up heading to a spot I was able to make a few good WOT hits, then cruising through the main strip in town, then a nice ride to a forest preserve lake...then I needed more gas...then took the long way back home. It has been many long months since I drove the Duster, and man it felt great! Of course, looks like winter is rearing it's head again, so may be awhile before I'm able to hit the road again.

Recap: Replaced the u-joints, rear u-joint seemed tight and replaced the transmission mount (I believe this was the culprit), so it was not very difficult or expensive.
So there AJ/FormS ha! LOL!!

Be well folks,
Pat

Good to hear. been watching your progress. I had a slightly squished trans mount in my Dart that gave me a rattle at light acceleration that I chased for a couple months. Great fix for only a few bucks!

Update: Well, the weather was great here last Saturday, sunny and in the 50's. So I opened up the garage, replaced the leaking Trans Pan Gasket, and finally was able to get the Duster out for a test drive. Planned to just take a 5-10 minute spin around the block to make sure it was shifting OK and determine if the vibration issue was resolved. Welllll, 1 1/2 hours later I pulled back into the garage! My wife was wondering what took so long and thought I may have broke down LOL. Happy to say the issue is resolved. Ended up heading to a spot I was able to make a few good WOT hits, then cruising through the main strip in town, then a nice ride to a forest preserve lake...then I needed more gas...then took the long way back home. It has been many long months since I drove the Duster, and man it felt great! Of course, looks like winter is rearing it's head again, so may be awhile before I'm able to hit the road again.

Recap: Replaced the u-joints, rear u-joint seemed tight and replaced the transmission mount (I believe this was the culprit), so it was not very difficult or expensive.
So there AJ/FormS ha! LOL!!

Be well folks,
Pat

Im gunna have to check my tranny mount.... i also have ben tryin to track down a drivelive vibration

-
Back