transmission oil

-

no1newb

Reaction score
i was going to change my transmission oil fluid whatever you want to call it. and i was wondering what exactly i replace it with. something i can get from my local auto parts store.

also. i was wondering if i could do the rear axle at the same time. i think it uses the same type of oil. but im new at this type of stuff and not sure.

Do you know what transmission you have? Do you have a sure grip rear?
If you have a standard trans, yes the 80W-90 gear oil will work in both the tranny and the rear. If you have a sure grip you need to add the special additive to the rear when you change it. You can get both the gear oil and additive at any good parts place.
If you have an auto, it is not the same stuff!
C

are their any issues with synthetic oil in the 4 spd.

I use the Royal Purple synthetic trans fluid.There was a thread on this a while back saying the synthetic gear lube didnt work as well with the syncros so you may want to stick to an actual synthetic trans fluid.As far as other issues go you may want to reseal the trans before using it,i put it in a fresh trans with minor seapage,old seals it may run right past.

As far as the fluid your going to put back in i have seen all of the following:

80w90 std gear lube
80w90 synthetic gear lube
75w140 syntheic gear lube
ATF trans fluid
Syncro-Mesh (Amsoil)? synthetic
Royal Purple synthetic
BG Syncroshift

I noticed no difference switching from std 80w90 gear oil to synthetic other then lighter in the wallet.Would have more effect if in a colder climate im sure.I"ll leave it at personal preference.

i couldnt get the filler bolt off the transmission, im probably going to take it some where to get it done. it wouldn't budge.

-
Back