Transmission on engine stand

-

coffeedart67

Reaction score
OK haven't asked a stupid question under this category yet, so here it is. Can I put my transmission on an engine stand? 904. I need to scrub the grime and gunk off of the tranny, and on an engine stand it would be a lot more comfortable work then kneeling down on the ground.
Thanks
Aaron

Yes, it has the same bolt pattern as the engine.

Have a bench but it is about 200 feet from the garden hose hydrant. Was just kind of wondering if it would be too much weight on the four mounting points of the bellhousing.

If it will hold the weight of an engine than hell yes, sounds like a good way to clean one. I don't know why I never thought of doing that?

Its kinda long and mounted by aluminum and not supported at the rear by a cross member, it will work just dont get freaky with it.

I would wonder about the stress on the mounting area since there is no support underneath. Maybe cut a 2x4 to stand on end underneath?

that seems like a lot of wasted effort since you cant build the trans on the stand.
Lond time ago I went the Harbor Freight and bought 2 of there folding steel saw horses and 4 of the 4 inch C-clamps. Then on to Lowes where I picked up 3 treated 2X6 at 8 foot long, plus 1/4 inch carrige bolts and nylon locking nuts at 6 of .
The saw horses are about 4 inches wide across the top and have a carry handle on one side. One of 2X 6 is cut in half and attahced to the top with 3 carrige bolts spaced down the center of the saw horse and off center through the lumber which throws the extra width of the lumber over on side ( opposite the handles ). There is a place to put my C-clamps holding the 2X6 layed across the 2 saw horses. I already had a 4X4 piece of plywood and an old house door. Either to use for a table top.
In the end... instant and sturdy work table I can throw together when and where I need it again and again. Recent example was about 10 days ago. Our Bissell carpet cleaner needed a new motor.

I cleaned and painted my 4spd and from advice on here I sprayed the exterior with oven cleaner, wrapped it in saran wrap and let it sit for a day...uncovered it, hosed off. The engine stand is a good idea...use a jack and 4x4 for more support??

-
Back