Transmission options and opinions

-

dmartin

Reaction score
I have my original 904 transmission out of my 69 Barracuda that was pulled about 25 years ago that has about 100K miles on it. I am now rebuilding the vehicle by replacing the 318 with a 340 producing about 350 HP, a sure grip 489 case rear with 3.55 gears, and 8" wide rear BF Goodrich TA's. My intent is to drive the vehicle on the street with perhaps an occasional 1-2 times/year to our local strip for fun. I thought about an aftermarket transmission, but after reading the info about TCI and some of the other nightmares others have experienced I am thinking perhaps I would best be served by having the 904 rebuilt (at least I know this devil.) So, if there is a highly respected aftermarket transmission out there who makes it? If I have the 904 rebuilt what should I be asking for in the rebuild from the rebuild shop? Also, should I replace the stock converter too and if so with what? Thanks for the help.

The only aftermarket transmissions out there cost big bucks and the only advantage they'd have is overdrive. At 350 hp your needs are pretty basic. Do you know a REPUTABLE transmission shop near you that knows older transmissions, especially torqueflite's? I highlighted "reputable" because there are those that aren't so don't take it into a shop without checking them out good first. A good basic rebuild with good quality parts should last for yrs. I'd replace the converter too since it has 100,000 miles on it. Most likely your 350 hp engine will like a slightly looser converter anyway. Something on the order of 2500 stall will let the engine idle better and really perk up the acceleration without affecting drivability. Installing a trans cooler will make it last a lot longer too.

If you don't know a shop that's reputable and good with torqueflite's start a thread in the general forum asking who's good with torqueflite's in western New York and I bet you'll get a lot of replies.

Be sure to get a shift kit or modified valve body installed for crisper shifts while retaining the "automatic" feature. Firmer shifts will make the trans last longer and reduce heat, even if you only take it to the track a few times a year.

Keep the 904. Make sure someone who knows what are doing rebuilds it. Shift kit and quality parts used in it. Ultimat sprag is good insurance too.

Ask them about swaping in the 2.76:1 1st gear planet's. really helps get ya goen out of the hole. makes yer 3.55's seem steeper in 1st gear. ita worthy upgrade.

Don't need anything fancy for a 904. Good clutchs/steels, bands, servo, strut and valve body. The rest of the parts are good for a street car, even the sprag. 904's don't have the sprag issues that 727's do.

If you can build an engine, do it yourself. Plenty of guides to build TF's out there.

Good advice from everyone. I would like to add that a later VB with the part throttle kickdown valve is very desirable feature.

You need to be more specific with what you mean by "later" valve bodies. Like the torque converters, valve bodies used in lock-up transmissions do not interchange with older non lock-up transmissions.

Seventy-three.Seventy-four,seventy-five, seventy-six, maybe seventy-two,seventy-seven......When did they go to lock-ups? Ninteen-eighty I think it was.When did the PTKD come in? Seventy-one I think it was.
If you get the pressures and that valve, set just right, the car is a joy to drive.

-
Back