transmission question

-

Mopar Missy

Rapid transit girl
Reaction score
Hi all, I have a question. I have recently bought a 340 duster, and only drove it a few times. I took it out for a ride today, as the weather was really nice here, and anyway, I know the car has a shift kit, put in by the previous owner, but I think it shifts a little to harsh ( I guess that would be the best way to describe it). It chirps the tires even when pulling away from a stop sign driving it easy. Is there a way to adjust anything to make it shift with out chirping the tires at low speeds? Maybe the kick-down rod on the carburator ? Just wondering....

Probably so. Do you know the history of the car, as does the trans have a shift kit installed?

I know some history on the car, and the previous owner did indeed install some kind of shift kit, but I don't know what brand. It's the first car I have owned with a shift kit, so maybe it's normal, and it's just a matter of getting used to it.

If it chirps the tires that easy with a regulation shift kit, I have to wonder if some valve body mods were done also? I've only seen a manual VB shift that hard under light throttle. As 67 said, a lighter setting on the linkage may help.........The last time I was in a stockish 727 that started shifting that hard, it died within a month, lol. Not trying to be doom and gloomish, just what happened to me.

is it shifting too late? maybe the shift point is not right

which im pretty sure is adjusted through the kickdown rod ...also you do have some pretty deep gears.

what kind of stall does it have?

mine is a stock valve bodied 727 and it chirps the tires from 1 -2 .... it is a very happy transmission Rick LOL been that way for a number of years.

you will get used to it

well, it dosent do it all the time, but I noticed it a couple times today. Maybe I'll try adjusting the rod a little and see what that does. The previous owner said it's a fresh transmission with a street shift kit, and deeper pan, but I have no idea what brand of shift kit.

is it shifting too late? maybe the shift point is not right

which im pretty sure is adjusted through the kickdown rod ...also you do have some pretty deep gears.

what kind of stall does it have?
yea Rani, it shifts late...well later than I think would be normal. The car has 3.91 gears in the rear end, according to the Pervious owner. The stall converter is 2800 TCI.

yea Rani, it shifts late...well later than I think would be normal. The car has 3.91 gears in the rear end, according to the Pervious owner. The stall converter is 2800 TCI.

so then i would think your pretty normal maybe just adjust the shift a little earlier but you still might chirp ....with that stall you take off with a pretty high RPM ....so that might be part of the territory

IDK ....just sayin....im trying to learn more about autos too ......everything i have ever had has been manual so im learning too

I think I'll try that tomorrow if I get time. I'm learning too Rani, as I know some stuff but certinly not everything, so I lurk on here and read, and try to learn all I can. Everybody here has been so very helpful, and I thank all of you !! I really love this site, and I'm having fun learning here.

makes me wonder if there are different spring tensions you can get for accumulator valve springs .....is that what a shift kit is for performance?

i would think a harder later shift is more desirable for a high performance application .....so with it being a "fresh" build with a shift kit makes one wonder what they had in mind when building that trans.

sounds like performance only was in mind with that kind of stall ....

maybe im just thinking out loud :tard:

of course i read this and now im thinking

http://www.mistertransmission.com/What-are-shift-kits

You say it has a shift kit so you will need to remove the valve body to adjust (lower) the line pressure, also most kit remove the accumulator spring ,some replace it with a blocker rod.If so remove the rod and replacing the accumulator spring this will cushion the shift.
Do you know which kit was used??
Personally I would live with it and have fun.

I'm not really sure whats involved with a shift kit installation, but I'm pretty sure it's mostly modifications made in the valve body. Maybe someone who works on transmissions will chime in and tell us. Rani, I think the previous owner like straight line performance, hence the modifications to this car, but said he never had it to a drag strip. I guess I could call him and ask some questions, about what was done to the transmission exactly.

Member "fishy68" knows a lot about these trans. Maybe he'll be on in a few days with some words of wisdom...

if it was the transgo kit , this is basically what is involved

Attachments

• transgo1.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 258
  • transgo.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 256
yell a 2800 stall could do it. I have a 2800 stall and shift kit in my 2004 ram 4x4 and it'll chirp the tires sometime without trying. A little bit of rain and i spin easly.

I'd just start with adjusting it as per "stock" and see what you have. What year is the car, and what do you have for a shop manual? Here, you can download a 72 one fer free. The linkage might be a little different, but the carb end is pretty much the same procedure

[ame]http://www.abodyjoe.com/pictures/Misc.%20car%20info/1972%20Plymouth%20Chassis%20Serv%20Man.pdf[/ame]

my car is a 1970 340 duster, and I do have a 70 and a 71 shop manual, ( they used to be my dads) and I'v been studying them in my free time. Thankyou 73Abodee for posting that info.

Missy, sounds like you have a really well build trans. I'd just live with it and be happy.

I've been around many auto trans with auto/man shift kits, Mopar, Ford & Chevy, and none shifted hard enough under light throttle to bark the tires. Yea i'm old and the kits may have gotten better over the years, so i'm out as far as your "issue". I think you got a good one......enjoy it :D.

If your photo is accurate, LOL, you'll be able to smile at any cop and talk him out of a "chirp" ticket

LOL ! I hope that works 67dart273. Yea, Oldmanrick, I have a feeling it's a strong transmission, and it is just more the fact that I'm not use to it yet. I will try shortening the rod a couple turns and see what that does. Thanks for everyones help!

......................Hi there MM, adjust away and report back, u may also have to lower the line pressure in the trans........u can test this with gauges, there is test ports on the tranny...............kim...........

hey Missy. I am new to the forum too. i have a 74 duster ,340 ,727 transmission w/shift kit, 2500 stall converter and a 3.91 gear. My motto...if it aint broke , dont fix it. i think your fine. the car sounds very strong and the shift kit has a strong kick to it. when i had my guy redue my tranny, he asked how strong do i want the shift to be. i went for a mild kit. one question i do remember u wrote on a different forum you were going to change tire and wheel size. did u do that ? i believe u had small tire size. need to get some meaty tires under the car. that might help. i am running 275/60/15*8 in rear, 235/60/15*7 in front. the fronts are alittle to big. i should of gone with a 5.5 . also what r your rpms at idle? is it shifting at the correct speeds thru the gears? is your gas pedal hard to push down?

Hi everyone, I finally got a day off yesterday and went out and adjusted the rod a little and now it seems to have helped a little. It still drops down into passing gear, when I step on it hard at 40 mph, so I think everything is good. I called the previous owner and he said the shift kit was a TF2 ( transgo I belive) and he had it set up to shift very hard, but it could be changed with an accumlator spring, and lever. I think I'll just drive it for a while and see if I get used to it. "stone340" I have not yet purchased any wheels/tires but plan to do so fairly soon. oh and to answer your question, my car idles at 900 RPM according to the tach. Thanks everybody.

MY feeling is all is ok the tras was set up that way and could be adjusted as previously posted but nothing to be concerned about the down side is a transmission set up like that will be somewhat hard on u joints but that's a small price to pay for High performance transmission.

-
Back