Transmission tech Help!!!!!

-

Slappy

Reaction score
Thanks to all who can help. I have a 727 trans with some weird leaks. I took my car out for its first run yesterday. When I brought it back I noticed two leaks. One appeared to be coming from the front u-joint area. It actually is leaking aft of the tailshaft seal. Anybody ever seen a front yoke leak fluid? Hole maybe? Second leak appears to be coming from shift lever where it comes through the trans. Basically the selector lever. How do I change this seal? This trans was rebuilt and has like 10 miles on it. But the warranty is up due to time. This seal leaks most when the car is off. It leaked from the trans all the way to the back of the car overnight! It looked like a couple of quarts. I checked the fluid and it states it is 1 pint low. Does the fluid reach the selector shaft when the car is off? Did I possibly overfill it? Fluid spread out on the floor always looks like alot but this was substantial. Also I cant get the thriottle pressure right. Any advise would help. You can call me also 571-334-2506 Thanks Tod

Sometimes if a seal has been sitting for some time they shrink. Run it for awhile and see if the leaks go away.
Also, check your slip yoke. A buddy of mine had a rear seal leak and come to find out the slip yoke had a tiny hole in the end it.
No idea why, but a glob of silicone cured it.

you can change the shift shaft seal with the trans in the car but you will have to use a hole saw to cut a hole in the floor just above the shaft. pull the kickdown rod all the way forward and adjust the front part so it just fits over the throttle shaft. take your hotrod for a test drive and readjust untill you get the shifts where you want them.

Please don't cut a hole in your floorboard. I changed my trans shift shaft seal with everything in place and my floor in tact. (68 Cuda 440) It does require the removal of the valve body and a couple of special tools. A search here and you can find out more info.

-
Back