Travco motorhome

-

V-100

Valiant lover(?)
Reaction score
Have a large extended family in Alaska, and whenever they come down we get together. I will also get calls a few times a year when somebody needs help finding/getting/shipping/repairing things.
One of my uncles recently came down and called me to meet up with him. This particular uncle is a very straight shooter, which makes him unpopular with certain family members. Me? I've always gotten along with him, even as a little kid (my dad was in Vietnam for awhile, so this uncle and my grandfather would pack me around a lot back then- good memories). My older daughter's violin lesson just ended, so we headed up to go see him.
We meet, then he decides that we should head over to the local airport- cool, no issue and the daughters seemed intrigued.
Mom's family in Alaska made/makes their livings in energy, transportation, and fishing. Most do rather well, this uncle was no exception. Back in late '75 he ordered a Travco 320. I remember this vehicle very well because in '78 my family spent most of that summer in Alaska with the family- camping, hiking, Alaska State Fair, salmon derbies. Most of the time I was in grandpa's Pace Arrow or the uncle's Travco when it was time to sleep.
In '99 or '00, the Travco was shipped down and was re-upholstered and re-striped on the exterior (had yellow/gold stripes). It has always been stored, never just left out- Alaska kills stuff when that occurs. When those things got done, the aunt & uncle took off on a trip.
Over the next three-four years, they used it a little bit. Now the aunt has early-onset Alzheimer's and it has just been sitting for the last few years for the most part.
When we got to the airport, the girls all sat down and my uncle takes me back to the hangars. Tells me there are two reasons why he asked to meet, one was for family business (which I don't have a problem with) and the other was to give me the Travco, if I wanted it...
It got new brakes a couple years ago on the back axle, the interior is still mint, and although dirty from sitting, the paint is still in good shape. Strangest part? 26,241 miles on it- that's it.
I've changed the oil and filters (oil, air and the two fuel filters), put fuel treatment down the tank necks, and pulled the deep cycle battery for replacement. It will take a bit more work before I am comfortable taking it out on the road- the belts, hoses (coolant and fuel), trans service, brake fluid flush, AC service, et cetera all need to be changed and/or serviced. I did notice the Bilsteins on all four corners, the sway-bar/control set-up on the front, the Gear Vendors overdrive, the Michelin X tires are fairly new (19.5" rims), and those lights on the bumper are vintage Cibie`- I took the covers off to clean & restore them, the exterior plastic was grungy & crunchy after 37 years.

Attachments

• SSCN2734[1].JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 931
  • SSCN2735[1].JPG
    36.7 KB · Views: 861
  • SSCN2736[1].JPG
    37.3 KB · Views: 845
  • SSCN2733[1].JPG
    36.8 KB · Views: 857
Nifty.

Let's see the inside.

My 10th grade shop teacher had one given to him, after a fire destroyed the front fascia. The one he made for it looked terrible, but the rest of it was cool.

Great story.
I would love to see more pics of it too!
From what i understand, they were the most expensive well built motorhomes of their day.

When I was a kid the neighbours had a Travco motor home, I don't think it was as big as that one and had a 440 in it. I don't know if hey all had Dodge drive train or not. This thing was a funny looking pale blue and I'm not sure what year it was but was probably close to 1975.
Love to see some interior pics.

Great story, glad you are able to preserve these memories. "Motorhome" was a new word and a new way to travel when these Travco's were built.

Random memory, as a kid back in '71, a very peripheral member of my extended family got one of these as part of her divorce settlement...it made an impressive statement.

Thanks guys- it's a 440/727 combo. I'll get more pictures as soon as I get it up and running, out from under the hangar. My older daughter wants to give me a hand cleaning out the interior- just dusty and needing attention.
Our forecast here for the next week is highs in the 20's (Fahrenheit), so it may not happen this weekend...
Oh, new in '76 (he ordered it in late '75) he paid over $75K for it...they were expensive. But in all honesty, the Travcos, Airstream/Argosy twins, Barths, Wanderlodges seem to have been the most durable and the ones who have the cult followings.

Don't forget the Clark Cortez, it's a cult favorite.
That Travco of yours is ripe for a Cummins 6bt swap. -pauly

Attachments

• 1381507_534653526619279_1571639095_n.jpg
    39.7 KB · Views: 706
Pauly, trust me I am 'jonesing' to convert it over...[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo11DG1nuGk"]1973 Travco 270 motorhome with 1993 Cummins 6BT engine. - YouTube[/ame]

Did put a replacement Interstate "Extreme" deep cycle battery in it today. Switched on the house power, flipped a couple interior light switches and there was light. Put the key in the ignition, heard an electric 'pusher' pump whine (also has a mechanical one on the block), and gave it a light twist. She spun.
Since it was just me and no extra hands, I decided to just prime the carb via the three vent tubes, install the new air filter and close the lid. Was not about to risk the odds and have a back fire up through the carb or something and set any excess fuel ablaze- although I had two extinguishers within a couple feet, I thought I may as well error on the side of caution. I could just see a big fireball blast upwards (the dog house was off) and set the ceiling on fire!
Did a couple small things, shut the house switch back off, pulled the negative cable...still too cold to really get anything else done. I'll fire it up some time this week with my buddy Will.

Took the wife out to see it this AM. She liked it, admitted that all it really needs is a good, stiff cleaning to be really presentable. Wife also told me that she & the girls will take care of the interior scrub-up...that was ungodly easy

Thanks to Motopyscho- he has some old promo stuff he is going to share with me via email...

The Cibie driving & fog lights on the Travco have been there since soon after my uncle took delivery. Being 37+ years old, the exterior of the plastic covers were getting a little 'crunchy.' So I took some wet/dry 220, then 600 and proceeded to knock most of the surface off the covers. Painted the white in using Rustoleum's "Dove white" in a formula they say bonds well to plastic (dunno yet, we'll see). Then got some kiddie art brushes at Target, then painted in the raise section with some gloss black, "Chrysler Industrial" red (just over the 'e'), and gloss sunfire yellow. Originally those were just black, but hey, thought I'd get fancy with this huge old Mopar!

Attachments

• SSCN2791[1].JPG
    34.3 KB · Views: 483
Took the wife out to see it this AM. She liked it, admitted that all it really needs is a good, stiff cleaning to be really presentable. Wife also told me that she & the girls will take care of the interior scrub-up...that was ungodly easy

Permission granted to clone the wife and girls and sale them here!!!LOL!!.....

-
Back