trivia ?

-
Robert stanley 63

We have a winner!

The Pentastar was created by Robert Stanley, at the Lippincott & Marguiles design firm. He wanted, according to his blog entry, “something simple, a classic, dynamic but stable shape for a mark that would lend itself to a highly designed, styled product. What that meant, basically, was a classic geometric form. We wanted something that was not stolid. That’s the reason that we broke up the pentagonal form that became the Pentastar. It provides a certain tension and a dynamic quality.”
The Pentastar was selected from more than 800 suggestions that a team from the design firm of Lippincott & Margulies Inc. proposed to the company.
“We were looking for something that would not be too complicated for people to remember and still have a very strong, engineered look to it,” said Robert Stanley. “We wanted something people could look at and say, ‘This was not done freehand.’”

When was the hemispherical combustion chamber cylinder head first used?

I THINK it was actually first used in a French motor:puker: simetime aroud 1909.........:???:

I THINK it was actually first used in a French motor:puker: simetime aroud 1909.........:???:

I'm impressed! You guys are really paying attention. I was sure the first replies were gonna be about the '50s Red Ram Hemi and I was gonna have to say "I didn't say anything about Mopar hemis."

From Wikipedia: "Hemispherical combustion chambers, which had been used for centuries in mortars and cannon, were introduced on some of the earliest automotive engines, shortly after proving the concept of internal combustion engines themselves.
Hemispherical cylinder heads have been used since at least 1903; they were used by the Belgian car maker Pipe in 1905, the Peugeot Grand prix Car of 1912, the Alfa Romeo GP car of 1914, Daimler, and Riley. Stutz built four valve engines, conceptually anticipating modern car engines. The BMW double push rod design, taken over by Bristol Cars, the Peugeot 403 and the Toyota T engine are other well known hemi engines. Harry Arminius Miller racing engines were also a notable example."

According to all the reference books I have, the '57 standard Chrysler 300C motor was 392 cubic inches and 375 horsepower. There was an optional, high-output version available that was rated at 390 hp.

But, the answer is the 1957 DeSoto Adventurer. It had a "square" bore and stroke 3.80" X 3.80" twin 4bbl Hemi that was 345 cubes and was rated at 345 HP.

This book (The Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975) also says that the 1956 Chrysler 300B had an optional engine that was a 354 cubic inch, dual quad version with 355 HP... just OVER 1 hp per cube... beating Chevrolet's 283/283 fuel injected engine by a full year.

what engine propelled racing legend don garlits to break the 200mph speed record in his sling shot dragster

T Hanson nailed it; it was Hy Drive, a weird arrangement that was really nothing but a "three on the tree" manual transmission with a fluid coupling (or, it might have had a torque converter, but I don't think so) attached to the flywheel so that you could stop the car and not have to push in the clutch; the coupling would just slip.
Then, you could leave it in high gear and apply the throttle and it would take off again.. V-E-R-Y S-L-O-W-L-Y... LOL!

Dodge had a fluid drive transmission called "GyroMatic," and another called "Gyro-Torque Drive" that had a converter in the mix...

None of them were very good.

-
Back