trouble adjusting 8 3/4 axle end play

-

68bb

Reaction score
Hello

Got an a body 8 3/4 with 489 case and 3.55 gears. I replaced the inner seals and put in new gaskets. I didn't check to see if end play was adjusted before I took it apart. I can't get there to be any play at all. No matter which was adjuster is turned it seems to bind up. If I loosed the axle flange bolts it loosens up but tighten them and it seems to bind it up. I have never done this before so me doing something wrong is very possible. I assume it is correct to have the driver side axle in and bolts tightened?

thanks

Hello

Got an a body 8 3/4 with 489 case and 3.55 gears. I replaced the inner seals and put in new gaskets. I didn't check to see if end play was adjusted before I took it apart. I can't get there to be any play at all. No matter which was adjuster is turned it seems to bind up. If I loosed the axle flange bolts it loosens up but tighten them and it seems to bind it up. I have never done this before so me doing something wrong is very possible. I assume it is correct to have the driver side axle in and bolts tightened?

thanks

Your correct, suppose to tighten the left side (without the adjuster) then install the right side (with the adjuster). Then adjust end play with the adjuster. Back the adjuster out a good ways then hit the end of the axle to make sure the race is set. Hit right side.

thanks for quick response guys. I believe the seals are in all the way, thats something I will double check tomorrow. If I remove both axles and use a length of 1/2 pipe should I be able to feel the part the axles slide into move left to right? If a bearing was not pressed on fully could that be the problem?

...Its possible the bearing isnt on all the way causing the problem......the adjuster could b stripped also.............kim.......

With the axle removed I can see that adjustor is not stripped and working normally. i verified new seals are fully and squarely seated. I think I see what isn't right. If I measure the distance from the outside of the seal to the end of the axle tube lets call that X. If i measure the distance from the collar on the axle , behind the bearing, and with the bearing fully in the cone lets call that Y.The Y distance is greater than the X distance so when I tighten down the nuts it binds up the bearing, and this is with adjustor fully loosened. Would you say just get the new green bearings and be done with this problem?

thanks

Sounds like the seal's not in all the way. It isnt flush with the step in the bore... it's deeper. No need to spend more cash. Us a smaller diameter socket and drive the seal in farther.

Sounds like the seal's not in all the way. It isnt flush with the step in the bore... it's deeper. No need to spend more cash. Us a smaller diameter socket and drive the seal in farther.

Just make sure that whatever you use to seat the seal JUST FITS where the seal is suppose to go. If you tulip the seal by using something that is too small in diameter, the seal will leak.

One more thing to check. If you have a power lok posi, make sure the centering block in the differential didn't come apart. The centering block on a factory power lok is a three piece item. It the center pin wasn't peened when the diff was assembled, it will come apart and not allow your axles to seat, causing exact problem you seem to be having.

Russ.

Hello

thanks

What do you mean by "no matter what adjuster is turned it seems to bind up"? That's the part in your first post that I enlarged and highlighted. It should only have an adjuster on the passenger side. The drivers side should not be adjustable.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I'll check those items in the morning. Yes just an adjustor on the pass side, poor typing skills on my part.

I agree with the seal not seated all the way in. You have about 1/4" from the bearing retainer to the seal end. If you find out that the seals were not seated properly, make sure the retainer hasn't messed up the seal ends when you bolted the axles in.

I had the thrust bushing pop on me so watch for that.

Hello All

The problem is fixed, the seal wasn't in all the way. I thought for sure it was but I was wrong. Thank goodness you all were here to help me. I very much appreciate it!
Adjustment was very easy after seal was correct.

Soon my dart will be a 4 speed with 8.75 suregrip with 3.55 gears instead of 904 auto with 7.25 and 2.74 gears. Should be a major seat of the pants difference??

thanks

-
Back