Trunk chatter

-

matthew robertson

Reaction score
Hello all, wondering if someone has had this issue and knows how to fix it. When driving my 74 dart the trunk makes an awful chatter going over bumps. We’ve narrowed it down to possibly the inner trunk lid skin is tapping the top of the trunk lid. Is that a possibility? I’ve checked the latch to make sure it’s secure. Anything helps! Thanks:)

E01F256D-8FF2-4434-957F-2CDDA6202CD0.jpeg

Hello all, wondering if someone has had this issue and knows how to fix it. When driving my 74 dart the trunk makes an awful chatter going over bumps. We’ve narrowed it down to possibly the inner trunk lid skin is tapping the top of the trunk lid. Is that a possibility? I’ve checked the latch to make sure it’s secure. Anything helps! Thanks:)

View attachment 1715873385
There is a pad that sits on top of the gas tank that prevents the tank from rattling against the trunk floor. If the trunk lid is closing tightly, I would look to see if that pad is in place.

Shock bushings to a loose trunk key latch, I found an old zebco rod and real down in the back lower trunk area in a Dart I owned that drove me nuts till I started digging deep looking for my rattle.

Shock bushings to a loose trunk key latch, I found an old zebco rod and real down in the back lower trunk area in a Dart I owned that drove me nuts till I started digging deep looking for my rattle.
Yeah, I forgot about that! Funny what you can find in that crevasse!

Hinge tension rods, license plates and worn weather stripping.

Hinge tension rods, license plates and worn weather stripping.
This^^
One at a time, stuff rags tightly around the tension rods, license plate, and around the perimeter of the trunk, testing for rattles each time. When the rattle disappears, you've found the culprit. Proceed with appropriate repairs.

give the exhaust pipes a kick and see if it makes that sound. Are the spare tire, jack, jack handle, lug wrench etc. all stored right?

Heard a story about line workers putting empty beer cans inside frame rails before they got welded shut. Not sure if that's urban legend though

Yes, it is possible for the trunk skin to separate from the frame.
It's pretty easy to gently separate the loose area with a wooden wedge, and a few small dabs of caulk, seam sealer, construction adhesive, RTV, should secure it.
There should be a piece at plastic "tube" separating the torsion rods, preventing them rattling .

-
Back