TRW pump question

-

Kendog 170

Let the boy go !
Reaction score
I just got a kit so I can fix my leaking TRW 1.06 pump. I would also like to firm up the steering a little. Do I need to remove or add a shim at the control valve. My own common sense tells me to remove as to lessen the spring tension / pressure. I just wanted to confirm. It does not say in the FSM pump section anly that it controls the pressure.
Thanks

Ok just read this. Looks like it doesn't help much.I do have machine shop I can have shims made up but don't have exact specs on the inside and outside diameters of the shims for the Federal style pump.
Pump It Down....EASY

Not really firmness.Play is taken out of box. Pump over powers steering makes it too easy to turn (lack of firmness there )

I just got a kit so I can fix my leaking TRW 1.06 pump. I would also like to firm up the steering a little. Do I need to remove or add a shim at the control valve. My own common sense tells me to remove as to lessen the spring tension / pressure. I just wanted to confirm. It does not say in the FSM pump section anly that it controls the pressure.
Thanks
Where did you get your kit? The pump on my '69 Barracuda appears to be a TRW from looking at the identification pictures.

Sorry for the late response. I bought it on Amazon. I just got back from Vacation. I haven't installed yet but I did find my leak at the pump high pressure hose fitting. Apparently, the flare isn't seating, so I added an o ring, and it seems to be holding.

Gates 350370 Power Steering Repair Kit​

Sorry for the late response. I bought it on Amazon. I just got back from Vacation. I haven't installed yet but I did find my leak at the pump high pressure hose fitting. Apparently, the flare isn't seating, so I added an o ring, and it seems to be holding.

Gates 350370 Power Steering Repair Kit​

Are you still going install the seal kit even though you found the leak at the hose fitting?

No. I'll shelve it. I have another pump buried in my storage. If I can ever find it, I'll rebuild that and swap it .The pulley on my existing pump wabbles a bit so not sure if the kit will correct it.

-
Back