Trying to figure out if I need to move motor mounts

-

RockinRobin

Reaction score
1970 Duster body, 6 cyl k member replaced (supposedly) to run a 440.
trying to put in a 5.7 gen III/727 torqueflite combo and I cannot get the motor onto the motor mounts because of no clearance between motor and firewall. Are there any measurements out there to determine if my mounts on the K member are in the right place?
Also, do I need to install motor and tranny separately, or should they go in together?
Thanks!
p.s. TTI motor mounts and biscuit style isolators

I've never had any luck putting a motor and trans in together on cars I've worked on for what it's worth. Never could tilt anything far enough to clear stuff. Dropped my 5.7 in with just the flywheel on (covered in cardboard to keep from scratching it). I was under the impression the big block mounts wre in a slightly different location than the small block as well, and pretty sure the swap mounts on the engine are set up for a small block k frame.

There are only 3 k frames, /6, small and big block, then hemi.

There are only 3 k frames, /6, small and big block, then hemi.
There are 4 for abodies. /6, SB, BB, Hemi. The SB and BB are different. The factory big block cars use a drivers side mount that has been moved foreward and also need a block with the correct bosses to accept the mount. As long as you are using a SB K frame the TTI mounts "should" fit.

1970 Duster body, 6 cyl k member replaced (supposedly) to run a 440.
trying to put in a 5.7 gen III/727 torqueflite combo and I cannot get the motor onto the motor mounts because of no clearance between motor and firewall. Are there any measurements out there to determine if my mounts on the K member are in the right place?
Also, do I need to install motor and tranny separately, or should they go in together?
Thanks!
p.s. TTI motor mounts and biscuit style isolators

I have put mine in from the bottom and the top and always with the engine and trans together.

Ive never seen where TTI has specified what K member their A body mounts are for.

Ive never seen where TTI has specified what K member their A body mounts are for.
Yup. You are 100% correct. They just specify a V8 k frame. The only way I know is I worked on an original BB abody. Before that I had no idea. The old C Body's had the same type of mount. The M and H code cars are rare and would probably stay with the stock engine. I'm only guessing that's what they had in mind when TTI made that statement.

So their mounts wouldn't work on a /6 k then. Even the passenger side pad is further rearward than a small block.

Nice page. Saved that one. Got a disk brake setup in the yard. Need to see what it has for a k-member.

Sorry, forgot I was on fabo, not fbbo, my bad!!

I bet yours is a slant k that ran BB conversion mounts. You slot the driver perch for the oil pump on a BB. If you want I can give a pic of mine when I get home.

I bet yours is a slant k that ran BB conversion mounts. You slot the driver perch for the oil pump on a BB. If you want I can give a pic of mine when I get home.
They probably took the slant 6 perch on the K and moved it to the V8 position. I suppose it could still work, the oil pan fits the K when I put the motor in....

Here's what mine looks like:

Well I KNOW my K is a slant 6 K. I thought I remember that the SB and Slant K's shared the same pass side perch, the pics dont lie yours has a different pass side perch. So im guessing its the opposite, they share the same driver side and have different passenger side.

-
Back