Trying to summon the motivation

-

Kern Dog

Build your car to handle.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Do any of you remember the drive and force that you felt years ago when something needed to be done?
I do. I used to take things as a challenge and rise to meet it. I was motivated to do things.
Many times nowadays, it just isn't there. Part of me wants to but laziness creeps in. I want to get out of that rut.
I have car projects out back. I have stuff to do on the house too.
Years back when I had gained a bit of weight, the wife and I decided to get in shape. We ate better, joined a gym and in a few months, I was down 30 lbs and looked much better. Once I got to the goal, I actually liked the journey getting there and in some weird way, thought it would be fun to do again some day.
Winters are the worst for me in terms of kick starting my motivation. Is it the same for you? The gold and gloomy skies make me want to stay inside despite several tasks that need attention. It doesn't even snow here so I can only imagine what it is like for those guys that live in it.
I've read that some people just get out and casually start doing things in the hopes that it will inspire them to keep moving. That does work but sometimes I'll still just turn around and come back inside. I spend too much time online already...I need to ignite my fire and I don't know what it is.

I typically have waaaay more stuff to do, and no time to do it. That’s said tho, I’ve always been one to put the pedal to the metal and get things done. When the job is fighting back, I fight back harder. My wife always says….”I don’t know how you do the things you do”, it’s because it’s all important stuff, and if I don’t do it nobody will. Case in point…..

It took me 8 months to fix a property line issue and get my MIL’s house sold. I’m not a lawyer, but I had one. At $250/hr. we couldn’t afford to have him do the legwork and deliver papers here, there and everywhere, so I did. I talk to people, and I get things done, and most of what needed to be done was 100 years in the making, so I needed to talk to some old farmers, and sometimes their heirs, and get the whole mess straightened out. 9 months later and we just sold the house 2 weeks ago. I did it all for piece of mind and a stress relief for my wife, who had just lost her Mom. I dont get a penny and I don’t want none, I just want to get back to normal, or the new normal, whatever that may be! That’s what keeps me motivated!

I feel you on the winter time. It keeps me out of the garage quite a bit. My saltwater tank looks better in the winter when I’m inside more often. The winters here in Oregon where I live are pretty mild but it seems to rain every day.

Winters are hard everywhere. I am much more productive in the summer 100 or more degrees with longer daylight.

I feel I am more motivated now than when I was younger. Especially with cars because I know more what I want out of a car and what to realistically expect from a car now more than when I was younger. I have a bigger car budget now than I did before. It used to kill motivation to not afford good parts to finish a project where now I find it's exciting to get a pile of parts, have a plan and GO!!

however, I think I have less time now so it has to count when I do.
I also feel the drive to stay fit, the thought of gaining a ton of weight in my late 30 is frightful.

The key things are to get offline, and have a plan. IMO.

What works for me is to force myself to A- spend 1 hour (or 2, or 3) on a project. Sometimes I keep close watch on the clock, too, or B- get ONE thing done. Sometimes those smaller goals have a way of morphing into larger ones, IE I only need 30 more minutes to get TWO things done, or one more hour and the whole thing will be done, or at a much better place to stop until next time.

I have a couple of friends who like to come to my house and hang out in the garage and “help” with my projects. One in particular likes to stay after me and remind me that spring is coming. We always have a good time listening to music and enjoying a few cold beers. It reminds me of the old days. Without their prodding I would never get anything done.

Preface; I'm 57. I can relate to diminishing zest & zeal to get things done -- to a point. We got rid of public/cable TV back in 1999. I don't have that distraction (but obviously I now have the internet). If there's a choice between watching a sitcom or sanding a fender, the choice becomes easier when there is no sitcom to watch.

My odds of getting something done really boils down to "how bad do I want it?" It helps when I envision the project finished, a step or 2 back, and keep going until I can at least see the step in front of me finished. It's OK, take your time on that one.

My time is split between a Jeep project, the new house/garage, and the new job. ALL of them are REQUIRING attention! Our DD Jeep GC is rusted out and the TC chain is shot. Trying to get the garage floor finished, with radiant heat. The house sat vacant since 2016, and was victim of a field fire. We're living in it, fixing things as we go.

As YY1 suggested, pick something and just work on that at least until you get it to a stopping point (finish the gauge cluster, but don't fret about the entire interior). As cosig pointed out, nobody else is going to do it for you. The world won't end if you DON'T finish that gauge cluster, but you will never feel the gratification of having it done. "If it is to be, it is up to me!"

It has been my personal observation that the feeling of being "lazy" is more giving into a less productive distraction than actually being lazy. Just a thought.

Yea, we are getting older. I like to tackle things first thing in the morning. Working out will increase your energy level. Sometimes I will complete a small project after an early workout.

Do any of you remember the drive and force that you felt years ago when something needed to be done?
I do. I used to take things as a challenge and rise to meet it. I was motivated to do things.
Many times nowadays, it just isn't there. Part of me wants to but laziness creeps in. I want to get out of that rut.
Years back when I had gained a bit of weight, the wife and I decided to get in shape. We ate better, joined a gym and in a few months, I was down 30 lbs and looked much better. Once I got to the goal, I actually liked the journey getting there and in some weird way, thought it would be fun to do again some day.
Winters are the worst for me in terms of kick starting my motivation. Is it the same for you? The gold and gloomy skies make me want to stay inside despite several tasks that need attention. It doesn't even snow here so I can only imagine what it is like for those guys that live in it.
I've read that some people just get out and casually start doing things in the hopes that it will inspire them to keep moving. That does work but sometimes I'll still just turn around and come back inside. I spend too much time online already...I need to ignite my fire and I don't know what it is.
I believe that we are about the same age, I'm 60, close to 61. I have really found my motivation to be lacking in the last few years, and I no longer have anywhere near the patience I once did. No idea if it's just age, or a combination of things. I still work full time, for how much longer I can't say, but I know that I don't have the energy I used to either.
When I have something that is a must do, I will get it done, but the projects just aren't that interesting or important anymore.
Then I look at my brother who's 66, runs a business, and has at least 4 project cars on the go, plus looking after his 4 acre property and I just think WTF? Why I am not motivated to do anything I don't get. Maybe it's just the stress of my life at this point and the economy, no idea.
Winter can be a bit of a downer, but it's not that bad.

I too don’t get as much done as I would like. But with 4 plus project cars, and two actively in the shop, there isn’t really any getting ahead anyway!

Do what you do.
Enjoy what you do.
Be proud of what you do.
Whatever it is that you do.

;)

I have a couple of friends who like to come to my house and hang out in the garage and “help” with my projects. One in particular likes to stay after me and remind me that spring is coming. We always have a good time listening to music and enjoying a few cold beers. It reminds me of the old days. Without their prodding I would never get anything done.
This ^^^^ would be ideal. I loved having buddies around to do stuff. This town seems to be a wasteland though. I’m in a Mopar club but few of the members ever do anything.
Yea, we are getting older. I like to tackle things first thing in the morning. Working out will increase your energy level. Sometimes I will complete a small project after an early workout.

Good advice. I know that getting moving results in a much better chance of staying in motion.

This ^^^^ would be ideal. I loved having buddies around to do stuff. This town seems to be a wasteland though. I’m in a Mopar club but few of the members ever do anything.
Same here. I know a few Mopar guys here, but we mostly network for parts and such. Usually the best way I've found to make good progress is to just rip the band-aid off, and jump into the first project you can think of.

Same here, I'm 57, with too much to do, not enough time to do it. Cold and gloomy, and close to dark by the time I finish work makes it too easy to just have dinner, then watch something on TV or play a video game. I used to always do stuff in the evening, weekends, all the time. Now, I only do 'have to do' stuff if it's dismal, and 'want to do' stuff when it's pleasant. Working on top priority project, cinder block base walls for a large planter (tomorrow is nice!). If temps are mild and raining, Mabel gets some work...

Taking that first step is the hardest part. Step into the garage, music on, nothing I "have" to get done.
Then things practically fix themselves
Oh yeah coffee too

I've read that some people just get out and casually start doing things in the hopes that it will inspire them to keep moving. That does work but sometimes I'll still just turn around and come back inside. I spend too much time online already...I need to ignite my fire and I don't know what it i

Boy. You're singing my tune! I'm mostly retired, and the side gig has been super slow, so I have more time available than ever. Yet some days I get to the end of the day and look back at..........nothing in the progress department. I'm not lazy, but I've been working steady since I was twelve and that was a looooooong time ago. Slowing down some isn't unexpected, but I think it's gone too far. Part of the problem is that I have too many projects going. I got started on three different cars but they are all half done. The shop is a cluttered up disaster that makes it hard to work due to all the parts for all the projects. I finally decided to pick a project and focus on that till it's done. It doesn't sound like much, but I just did a major overhaul on the shop sound system and added a pretty nice 48" flat screen TV a friend gave me. Now I can watch sports or listen to music as much as I like while I'm out there. It's really nice to wrap something up. Next up is to finish the truck project so I can get the Red Sled in for some work prior to cruising season in a few months.

Something helpful has been to STOP BUYING CARS, STUPID. Even if it's a good deal or a smoking deal. Enough is enough. Time to get what I have running and enjoy driving them, instead acquiring them and letting them sit.

Having a wrenching buddy would be a really nice help. It's easier to get motivated when you know someone is coming over to work on something, or I'm going to their place for the same thing. Being a one man army certainly contributes to lack of progress, at least in my world. Ah well, time to stop whining and put on the big boy pants and go get something done. Spring is coming.

In the winter time, progress on my car projects slows waaaay down. With the short days, by the time I'm done with work, gym, and house chores there just isn't enough daylight left for any meaningful progress on car projects. If I've got an easy bench project to work on, I'll piddle on that. Otherwise, the weekend days in the are the only times I've got available to play Mopar.

Last edited:
My step dad is 86. He still works in his wood shop every day year round.

My neighbor is 87 and he still cuts his own fire wood, cares for his wife and hand loads a small trailer with gravel and fills potholes on his mile long gravel driveway. A few weeks ago he asked me to fire up my hoe and excavate some new inventory in his ancient rock pit.

My mom is 70 and still walks 6 miles a day unless there is a severe storm here in Oregon.

I think the key is that you have to keep moving. All else be damned, just keep moving. If things aren't going your way apply more effort.

I'm not sure if you are aware that the color yellow is clinically proven to make you happy.

Perhaps you should put on a yellow sweater.

Report back and let us know if it works for you.

I'm not sure if you are aware that the color yellow is clinically proven to make you happy.

Perhaps you should put on a yellow sweater.

Report back and let us know if it works for you.

01 face 4.gif

You had me up until the yellow sweater part!
I'm sure that part of it is diminished testosterone. I don't have as much drive for some other things too.

Winter time energises me, but.......where I live winter is pretty mild compared to some parts of the world.

It is the heat that I hate.
As I have gotten older, it knocks me around more & I have to be careful on really hot days. About a week ago, we had temps in the mid 30s C, & humidity was 97%, one of the highest numbers recorded by the weather bureau. Sweat just poured out of me.

Winter time energises me, but.......where I live winter is pretty mild compared to some parts of the world.

It is the heat that I hate.
As I have gotten older, it knocks me around more & I have to be careful on really hot days. About a week ago, we had temps in the mid 30s C, & humidity was 97%, one of the highest numbers recorded by the weather bureau. Sweat just poured out of me.
I find the heat really drains me now too, when I was younger heat or extreme cold were just minor inconveniences, Last summer we had a few days in the 40s celsius, and plenty of 30 degree days, but thankfully we don't get a lot of humidity.

View attachment 1716204958

You had me up until the yellow sweater part!
I'm sure that part of it is diminished testosterone. I don't have as much drive for some other things too.

Sometimes it's the little stuff. For instance, my shop is well lit with bright white walls to help make the dark, cloudy Oregon winter a little less...dark. My point is try something and you will be sure to find something that helps.

Your testosterone is just a number. Do you consume energy drinks? How is your diet? Do you eat enough greens etc. Eating habits weigh in heavily on your overall well being. The other thing that should be avoided, as you know, is becoming sedentary in your free time.

Two keys for me in since I kind of retired:

1. Get up early, take a shower (kind of like putting a three day old donut in the microwave with some water on it) and get going

2. Don’t turn on the TV in the morning.

I always get out of bed early, but if I lay down on the couch and turn the tube on, pretty soon it is noon, and what’s the point then. Just like a donut, I stiffen back up if I don’t get moving.

Goof off in the afternoon after you get something done.

Just my .02……

I find the heat really drains me now too, when I was younger heat or extreme cold were just minor inconveniences, Last summer we had a few days in the 40s celsius, and plenty of 30 degree days, but thankfully we don't get a lot of humidity.

My grand excuse for having a climate controlled shop is so my machines don't rust. The true reason is that it is way too cold and wet all winter and spring and summer can be brutally hot aka >105. It is much easier to get motivated when the work area is well lit and comfortable, especially for those of us that spend time outdoors for work.

FB_IMG_1707539408327.jpg

FB_IMG_1707539457261.jpg

-
Back