TTI shorty headers PROBLEM WILL NOT FIT

-

dodge71demon

Reaction score
I just got and installed the TTI shorty headers and down pipes on my 383 low deck with 906 heads 69 Valiant project.I'm using the HDK tubular k frame so several problem arears are not there BUT on the drivers side the number 5 tube is hitting the block quite a bit holding the flange for the down pipe out away from the motor causing the down pipe to hit the floor.I'm working with Mike at TTI to see why this happened and will post the results for anybody that's interested in these

Attachments

• TTI44025-LS.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 2,397
I'm interested. Did you use a stock mini starter or the special one they recommend?

I'm interested. Did you use a stock mini starter or the special one they recommend?

Haven't tried that yet but I'm going to try the stock one ofcourse with the tube hitting the block and holding it out I'll have to wait untill it's resolved I'll post the results when available

I just put these in a 440 E body. Fit is good, but the powermaster or Rob Mc starter is a must. I'm not sure why they couldn't make these fit without buying a 250-300 starter....

I have had a few customers ask about these, so Im very interested in what you find. Any pics of where its hitting? Is it hitting one of the casting bosses or knotches on the block that can be ground down?

Nice looking header BTW

It's hitting right where the id casting is I haven't heard back from them yet I'm thinking they are designed more for the RB than the B block I don't think there would be the problem with the RB as the 1" raise would push them more away from the block

Attachments

• DSCF0318.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 1,472
Received a call back from Mike at TTI and apparently these were never fitted to a low deck big block just the raised deck. He wanted me to ding the header myself and I have decided not to do this as I believe it's their problem. To bad I really like them I'll post any updates

Here's a picture of a ding in the header that was made by just tightening it to the heads it appears like it will take quite a bit of flattening to make it work so we'll see what TTI has to say for themselves notice the dimple is by a weld not looking good

Attachments

• DSCF0321.jpg
    30.8 KB · Views: 1,515
Man the days of just bolt on and go are gone there is to much thought to see how one can make the most money.

If you are considering these for a low deck they will not fit I also had a problem with them hitting the motor mount on the right side

You'd think with headers that expensive, they would have fitted them to both engines. That's ridiculous. A big Chevy in a Camaro never had this problem. They can run 99 dollar headers.

Yes I bought these through Chicago Connection and have kept them updated via emails telling them they may be stuck in the middle I'm dealing direst with TTI on the problem it doesn't seem to be getting resolved to my liking so I may do a charge back on my credit card and see where that takes me

sounds like tti should eat theses! That's not your fault! Its theirs

I was lucky enough to find a set of new pro parts headers in the box for my car. I know some people dont want to cut the inner fenders but I have no interest in the tti big block A-body headers after hearing so many complain of fit issues. I know when you are dealing with conversion mounts, D.C. k-frame, motor plates there are too many variables to get all those tubes inside the chassis so I don't blame tti. I am sure they do their best but I am not paying big money for a product that may or may not fit.

I was lucky enough to find a set of new pro parts headers in the box for my car. I know some people dont want to cut the inner fenders but I have no interest in the tti big block A-body headers after hearing so many complain of fit issues. I know when you are dealing with conversion mounts, D.C. k-frame, motor plates there are too many variables to get all those tubes inside the chassis so I don't blame tti. I am sure they do their best but I am not paying big money for a product that may or may not fit.

Don't get me wrong I've used TTI's before and they worked very well it's just that these are new on the market and it doesn't appear like they fit tested them on different motors yet on their web site it says ok for low deck motors with no footnotes I even met the owner at the Indy trade show and told him my application with no response that they wouldn't fit

Man, that aint a ding, thats a scratch! TTI will probably put that in their footnotes "Must clearance #5 tube for low deck motors" Or they may put a factory ding there before coating. "Camaro can run 99 headers", we can too. You just have to ding them...ProParts headers hit the pan rail on the passenger side as well, made for an RB. I had a set on a 400/451.

Man, that aint a ding, thats a scratch! TTI will probably put that in their footnotes "Must clearance #5 tube for low deck motors" Or they may put a factory ding there before coating. "Camaro can run 99 headers", we can too. You just have to ding them...ProParts headers hit the pan rail on the passenger side as well, made for an RB. I had a set on a 400/451.

Summit Headers fit with no dings. They are around 150 though.

I agree that the pro parts headers will need some tweaking but they are not coated and because they are a multi piece design any modifications are more easily achieved.

Pro Parts headers are also still available brand new.

Folks may whine ***** and complain about the price of custom headers.....

but at least they fit without needing to be "persuaded"......after they are coated....

I was told by the guy I traded a used set of stahl fenderwell headers for the pro parts that they make 30 sets of pro parts a year and when they are out of stock thats it til the next run. Don't know if there is any truth to this though. He is running a 730 hp Indy headed 528 inch rb motor and wanted the larger stahls.

You could pick up a pair of these and extra gasket and space the headers away from the block [ame="http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Big-Block-Mopar-361-383-400-440-Header-Flanges-/261408439034?pt=Motors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item3cdd283afa&vxp=mtr"]New Big Block Mopar 361 383 400 440 Header Flanges | eBay[/ame]

I finally got to speak with Sam at TTI super nice person he admitted to the problem with the left side hitting the block on the low deck he said they just missed it but didn't have an answer to the right side hitting the motor mount but was glad to know of the problems I'm having and I will be sending him more picturesd I told him that I really didn't want to beat up the headers to make them fit he understood and said that he will take them back and would be working on the problem

-
Back