Tunnel ram or no tunnel ram...

-
I also try stuff on my own, I had major pain with fuel distribution in my Indy intake, so I tried different ideas and finally it works pretty good. At least plugs look very similar now. Unfortunately I don’t have a photo after final sanding, but this photo shows what needed to be done.
Frankly I really like the looks of that Indy tunnel ram intake ;-)

View attachment 1715974800

View attachment 1715974804wow thats a pretty engine compartment

I've got about 200 feet of filler rod on my runners now, still have a little more to go . I want to put more on than I need so the next time I port this out I can get max wedge runners. Next time I weld an intake it will be with a mig spool gun.
I have easily 50 hours into this thing. I just kept pulling contamination up so I stopped, ground it off and put more aluminum on. Can't wait for finished product. I will burr finish it inside and out after porting.
IMG_20230716_202846962_HDR.jpg

I've got about 200 feet of filler rod on my runners now, still have a little more to go . I want to put more on than I need so the next time I port this out I can get max wedge runners. Next time I weld an intake it will be with a mig spool gun.
I have easily 50 hours into this thing. I just kept pulling contamination up so I stopped, ground it off and put more aluminum on. Can't wait for finished product. I will burr finish it inside and out after porting.
View attachment 1716124768
At least you aren't paying someone an hourly rate to do it. :eek:
A spool gun will lay the wire in pretty fast. I got one with my Hobart MIG and now I have a good reason to break it out and give it a try.

At least you aren't paying someone an hourly rate to do it. :eek:
A spool gun will lay the wire in pretty fast. I got one with my Hobart MIG and now I have a good reason to break it out and give it a try.
Ooh ouch, yeah I can't imagine paying for it.

Just to share some small change I did to the carbs. I moved IFR from top position to the bottom just to see what difference it really makes. I kept large IABs as carbs builder put in there. and large MABs. All curve is as he made it. Just IFR reposition was done. I started with suggested earlier 0.028" and it was waaaaay lean (not surprising with large IAB where much smaller one was suggested), I made my test IFRs by drilling them out large and filling them with solder, this way I could drill them out in small increments very easily and fast without risk of braking my drill bits just using my hand drill. I ended up using 0.033” size which puts me in very crisp and lean low rpm cruise at 14.5-15 afr. What changed the most is idle stability. I literally now have 150 rpm drop between park and in gear which was impossible before. Now car idles at 1100 in park and 950 in gear which I like a lot. With idle mixtures screws 1,5 turn out I get very stable and clean 14-14.5 afr idle. I think I will leave it where it is. Car is absolutely nasty, very fast on the street. Next big change is amazing throttle response. I can hit the throttle at any moment as hard as I want and there is ZERO hesitation or bog, it just revs out great. I had other people stuff to work on this summer because I cant say no, so now when driving season goes to an end, I'm catching up on my own stuff. Going to tunnel ram made me learn a lot. Very rewarding experience, if you are willing to put some work into it and ask yourself a question I asked in the title of this thread, I say do it! Go tunnel ram, there is no turnng back and what you learn along the way is yours to keep.

Nice work @Miszny, you’ve come a very long way in this thread. And it’s nice to see someone put in the time and effort you have to get your set up dialed in. Glad you’re happy with it.

That's great, I'm glad you have figured it out.
I'm getting ready to do the same.

Read through this whole thread you guys have me wanting a T-ram, but with Max Wedge intake runners looks like an Indy T-ram is the only game in town, unless you use a Weiand 1987 and some welding. I'm thinking about 2 Edelbrock AVS 1906s, they are on sale plus 10% off with Summit code.

Read through this whole thread you guys have me wanting a T-ram, but with Max Wedge intake runners looks like an Indy T-ram is the only game in town, unless you use a Weiand 1987 and some welding. I'm thinking about 2 Edelbrock AVS 1906s, they are on sale plus 10% off with Summit code.
I'll admit, it's awesome.
It's the best upgrade I've ever been talked into lol.
Eventually I'll weld mine again to port out to max wedge.
You can go bigger on the carbs like the 2 850s, no sense choking it out .

you could always use a B block tunnel ram and port some spacers like these to match mopar rb to b block intake spacers - Google Search

This is new tunnel ram combo I just finished up. It’s a 605ci 11.5:1 pump gas hemi with 500 shot.
The BG carbs are just for show. These are 3 circuit carbs that will not do in street conditions as they are.
I will be ordering a pair of 2 circuit dominators for this early next year. This is going into 67 Coronet so I’m not putting much info on it here. This should be fun ;-)

IMG_6314.jpeg

IMG_6291.jpeg

Actually Indy is very nice, no need to look elsewhere. Needs work but worth the effort!

The Modman shouldn't be overlooked for those willing to do some work. It's a much better foundation than the early tunnelrams. That being said an M1 is a good piece.

486SM5.jpg

SMplen3.jpg

more work, was prototyping ideas using cardboard before I decided which way I wanted to extend the runners. (among other things) But another thing that is nice about the modman is it is low profile.

divFIT34.jpg

Sbend.jpg

Wow you put a lot of work into this! Very nice!
Do you plan to fill this area also?

IMG_6373.jpeg

Wow you put a lot of work into this! Very nice!
Do you plan to fill this area also?

View attachment 1716181553
In a word, no. The most of the work was in concept! There is a fair amount of straightforward line-of-sight 'porting' but that should be done regardless especially if you have a MW window. The materials used can be made (and were) by hand. I did not make the spacer. The guy that did is a true craftsman and machinist. Albiet, I would have wanted it scalloped on the inside especially for the port roof transitions but also for some additional plenum volume. The area you pointed out 'wants' to be there for a couple reasons. There is a downward slope in that cavity FWIW. The epoxy work isnt perfect so if I did this again, that'd be better but I don't think it'd make much difference. There is some dispute as to how much power it will make but I don't see it getting in the way of 850HP. It has shown about 760 corrected so far but there are a few big concerns currently with the other parts in the car like ignition AND carbs and...? This motor should be over 800 when at it's potential.

In a word, no. The most of the work was in concept! There is a fair amount of straightforward line-of-sight 'porting' but that should be done regardless especially if you have a MW window. The materials used can be made (and were) by hand. I did not make the spacer. The guy that did is a true craftsman and machinist. Albiet, I would have wanted it scalloped on the inside especially for the port roof transitions but also for some additional plenum volume. The area you pointed out 'wants' to be there for a couple reasons. There is a downward slope in that cavity FWIW. The epoxy work isnt perfect so if I did this again, that'd be better but I don't think it'd make much difference. There is some dispute as to how much power it will make but I don't see it getting in the way of 850HP. It has shown about 760 corrected so far but there are a few big concerns currently with the other parts in the car like ignition AND carbs and...? This motor should be over 800 when at it's potential.
That's pretty cool, and not easy. Welding cast aluminum is a pita.

This is Indy tunnel ram without cover after initial cleaning. I was thinking about spacer under top cover but this is for future experiments. No room for anything in current setup.
I was asking about filling that void based on this plenum design.

IMG_9340.jpeg

IMG_9339.jpeg

I'll admit, it's awesome.
It's the best upgrade I've ever been talked into lol.
I have to agree! After a lot of reading and talking to Yellow Rose at length, I was convinced to put a tunnel ram and 2 750dp on my 440. I’d never opened a Holley or clone before. He walked me through it, and after many trials/tunes I got this thing all but perfect IMO. I love it! Can’t see myself ever going back!

IMG_8969.jpeg

I have to agree! After a lot of reading and talking to Yellow Rose at length, I was convinced to put a tunnel ram and 2 750dp on my 440. I’d never opened a Holley or clone before. He walked me through it, and after many trials/tunes I got this thing all but perfect IMO. I love it! Can’t see myself ever going back!

View attachment 1716181664
Tim's the guilty party for me too lol.

Tim reaffirmed what a few friends of mine say, the same thing Tim tells everyone. It’s coming……

IMG_1617.jpeg

IMG_1618.jpeg

IMG_1619.jpeg

I sure love mine, and can't believe the driveability!
I have come to learn those that say they don't work well, or don't work well on the street, haven't run one, it is very obvious.

20230903_154410.jpg

-
Back