Turbo Scamp

-
I got the Viper disc brake setup idea from an article in Mopar Action. It uses late 70's rotors, '70-'72 A-body DRUM spindles, and a caliper adapter available at Mancini, plus appropriate hoses. I think the article may be on their website.

Wow, that's a tough one to answer...I was collecting the parts for a couple of years, thinking I was going to use them on my '70 'Cuda. When it came time to put brakes on the Scamp, I figured I'd throw these on rather than buy a new aftermarket disc brake setup.

If I had to guess, I'd say the whole thing cost about $400, with used calipers and spindles, and new brackets, rotors and hoses.

Just a pic of some miscellaneous parts that have come in. From Summit, I got a billet waterneck, Autometer boost gauge and the wiring harness for my electric fans. You'll also see a pair of real pretty header flanges and a turbo flange cut from 304 stainless. These beauties come from Specialty Products Design (SPD) in Rancho Cordova, CA. Between these flanges and the Remflex gaskets, I'm all but guaranteed no exhaust leaks.

Flanges.jpg

Cool deal, its coming long nicely. I used SPD for my stainless headers on my Dart. The quality is awesome and the customer service, pricing was good as well.

LOve your build and in some instances it looks quite like mine. I can relate to all the issues you're having with things turniong out slightly different than you expected and then causing all sorts of delays. My project has been going for 7 years now........

Dude!!!! Dude!!!!!!! I'm speechless.......Bad to the bone!!! Pics. More pics
please....Did I mention that I LOVE your Scamp....

Did I miss the ignition setup in the thread? jus wondering what your gonna use. water or air intercooler, where will it be placed?

Just when I thought nobody cared anymore about this build, I get all these great, supportive posts. Thanks, guys. Really helps to keep me motivated and moving forward.

For ignition, I'm using a MSD BTM (Boost Timing Module) unit which will allow me to easily set timing retard. The distributor is from F.A.S.T.

The intercooler is air to air, and will fit in front of the radiator. I'm waiting on the radiator to come in. I ordered a Be-Cool module that will keep up to a 1,000 hp motor cool. I was going to go with their 700 hp module, but the fan shroud would have interfered with the available spacing. Front of the car will be a VERY tight fit. Radiator support will need to be chopped/reinforced to fit all the coolers. My insistence on A/C is causing fit problems, but since this is going to be my daily driver, I won't do without. I'll post pics of the radiator/fans when they arrive.

what the demensions on the intercooler? are you placing it in front of the radiator?

Just when I thought nobody cared anymore about this build, I get all these great, supportive posts. Thanks, guys. Really helps to keep me motivated and moving forward.

For ignition, I'm using a MSD BTM (Boost Timing Module) unit which will allow me to easily set timing retard. The distributor is from F.A.S.T.

The intercooler is air to air, and will fit in front of the radiator. I'm waiting on the radiator to come in. I ordered a Be-Cool module that will keep up to a 1,000 hp motor cool. I was going to go with their 700 hp module, but the fan shroud would have interfered with the available spacing. Front of the car will be a VERY tight fit. Radiator support will need to be chopped/reinforced to fit all the coolers. My insistence on A/C is causing fit problems, but since this is going to be my daily driver, I won't do without. I'll post pics of the radiator/fans when they arrive.

I just found it! Really nice!!!

Intercooler dimensions are as follows:

H = 5"
D = 3/4"
D w/bracket = 2 3/4"
W = 23 1/4"
W w/bracket = 28 1/2"

Here are a couple of pics. The first one shows the intercooler (cardboard to protect fins) being test fit. The second shows it from the front. You can see that the core support is going to need some serious trimming.

Intercooler mockup.jpg

Need Space.jpg

Did you look into using a couple of the Procharger intercoolers from a GM F body kit?

ford_mustang_twin_ic.jpg

Might be able to tuck them in just forward of the radiator support...

If they did fit, there probably wouldn't be room for the piping.

I've stared at my setup a few times and wondered how I would intercool it.

I've never seen an inter-cooler on the downstream of the radiator. It would be pre-heated by the radiator. I think he's looking at A/C as well so the A/C condensing unit takes away a bit of the charge cooling in itself, at least when the A/C is on. It's best to place the charge cooler as far forward of everything.

GoFish are you planning to use electric cooling fans? That would free up some space between the engine and the rad?

Buddy of mine did a pro-charger on an Eleanor he did for a customer. He used a single elec fan and the car had A/C. Although the Elanore had a bit more room up front than the std Mustang as it has the nose lengthened and I think he located the inter-cooler low on the front away from the rad and A/C condenser. Space is the key - good luck, I'm sure whatever you figure out will work well. Can't wait to see the finished product - great build.

That seems a lot to stack, did the turbo guy check this out? looks like an awful large intercooler, ain't trying to critsize, just asking

Yes, the radiator goes on the motor side. 2 big electric fans will help. I originally thought I was going to use an electric water pump, but it wouldn't save me any space decided to go with the mechanical water pump for reliability.

I checked with Summit yesterday, and the BeCool radiator/fan module that was scheduled to ship 2/18 has still not arrived. Now they're estimating March...grrrrrrrr.

As Joe Mc said, space is the key. We've got this measured out to very small tolerances. Cutting the core support will allow the intercooler to be moved as far forward as possible.

Oh, the GM intercoolers wouldn't provide enough surface area to cool this beast, and as AnotherA indicated, there wouldn't be enough room for the plumbing. The fabricator is going to be taking more measurements this week to start work on the headers.

Yes, the radiator goes on the motor side. 2 big electric fans will help. I originally thought I was going to use an electric water pump, but it wouldn't save me any space decided to go with the mechanical water pump for reliability.

Did you think of a remote electric water pump?

Subscribed! =P~

Turbo, fuel injection, a/c?!?!?!?! I hate you, man! And I mean that in a good way. :toothy10: I'm diggin' all these turbo builds. Keep up the great work.

Wylde1.

-
Back