Turn signal and tail lights (2 Q's)

-

OleNatesOlds

Reaction score
I've got two questions:

1. My 69 Dart does not cancel the turn signals when I straighten the wheel out. It holds it on fine in either direction, but I don't hear a click or anything as I make the turn to allow for canceling it. Is the mechanism broken or was canceling not standard then and that's why I have fender mounted signals to remind me?

2. Will 68 Dart tail lights/housings fit my 69 body?

Thanks,
Nate

First a question for you; do you have a stock or an aftremarket steering wheel?
The stock wheel is equipped wit a cancelling cam on the underside( it looks like a heavy piece of wire or rod stock coiled once around the base with a pigtail sticking downward) that cotacts the T/S switch to shut it off. After market wheels don't have this or it may have been removed from your stock 1.

As for your 2nd question, it seems like they might, but I'm not sure.

My wheel is stock. I'm guessing I need to take some stuff apart to see this coil (or lack of) you are talking about?

I went and looked before it got too dark and actually I see something in the gap that seems to ride on the plastic piece (cancel cam?) attached to the turn signal switch. The plastic looks broken on both ends and I bet that's where it's supposed to contact the metal tail.

Yup. Found a pic on Yr 1. Mine's definitely broken. Think their piece is worth a crap?

Don't know if Year one part is good, but it probably works better than what you have. Common part to need replaced.

I replaced mine with a used one when I rebuilt the column but it sometimes doesn't want to cancel when turning right. Stupid thing turns the inside light off but the right rear still flashes.

I believe 68 lights will interchange with 69

The turn signal cam has two prongs on each end that are notorious for breaking off. The HELP section of most auto stores carry the signal cam but the quality is sh*t (ask me how I know). I don`t know the quality of the Year One piece but if you can find an unbroken original you would be much better off.

There is a guy named David Koldos who got frustrated with the turn signal cams available and developed some and now sells them. A lot better quality than the others available. I think the last one I got was $20 including postage and install instructions. Email him at:
[email protected]

There is a guy named David Koldos who got frustrated with the turn signal cams available and developed some and now sells them. A lot better quality than the others available. I think the last one I got was $20 including postage and install instructions. Email him at:
[email protected]

Excellent, I wish there were more people like him.

He doesn't make any for the 69 A-bodies as of now. He is currently looking for originals to make a mold off of so if someone has got a good spare we need to get you in touch with him. For him it's an issue of demand and I'm sure it's there.

-
Back