Turn Signals - Driving me nuts!

-

CaseyFJ

Reaction score
Good Afternoon,

I have a 66 valiant/ slant six/ A833 on the floor.

Stock wiring, lights, etc.. all stock minus the 4 speed.

I for the life of me cannot figure out these gdang turn signals! I replaced the turn signal switch (OER, all I could get), all the bulbs, all the fuses... Getting power to the red/ white wires, but nothing on the greens/ tan/ purple. I have brake lights. I have not replaced the flasher but looks new.... Have power to the fuses (except for the 5amp fuse (Bank 1).. two orange wires feed it, I believe one is to ignition switch for the instrument lights)..

What could it be? I am no wiring expert. I have downloaded the diagrams from MyMopar, but unsuccessful... clearly..

Thank you,
Casey FJ

Do you have brake lights with tail lights on? is it 1156 bulbs where there should be 1157's? stranger things have happened...

Well, check it out if there is one bulb it may be a 1157 as there are two elements a 1156 has one element so if 1156 were the correct bulb, Id think you'd have 1 bulb for tail lights and 1 bulb for brake/turn. if it is one bulb try 1157 as the bulb has the tail light element and a brake/turn element. Basically make sure it takes either 1156 or 1157. I'd think its a 1157(2 element) bulb so the 1156 may be incorrect

The brake lights do work when the tail lights are on. Currently does have 1156 bulbs though.

Casey FJ
LOLOL!!! Well it is NOT going to work with 1156's. They are single filament, single contact bulbs. I don't even know how you got them in the sockets, as the 1157 bayonet pins are offset, the 1156's are straight across, and just for that reason

WHAT GOES IN (and out) of a TS switch

IN:

1...Switched brake light power. This is "hot" to the switch at all times, so anytime you press on the brake, the (usually white) wire from the brake switch to the TS switch should come alive. With the switch centered, the TS switch routes that power to the two rear left/ right signal lamp filaments

2....Signal flasher. It only gets power with the key in "run" and probably "accessory", goes through the flasher and feeds on to the TS switch. Obviously, the switch routes this flasher power as it is operated left, right, etc

OUTPUTS

left and right front turn
left and right rear turn, also used as stop

HAZARD. If you have hazard flashers on that car, it is a separate switch/ flasher. That it does is to connect the left front, the right front, and the brake switch line all together with the hazard flasher. So the hazard flasher, hot at all times, feeds "flash" to those three points. You must have the TS switch centered and your foot off the brake for them to work

If you don't have a known good flasher, you can just stick a jumper wire in the socket and the signals will come on steady

Make CERTAIN you have the correct bulbs, 1134 or 1157 ONLY.

Suspect grounding problems at the sockets!!!
Suspect pigtail/ contact problems at the sockets
Clean them well with sandpaper, steel wool, etc or cut them out and figure a way to replace them with other sockets. I have even cut some out, rusty, then ground them down to bare steel and soldered , brazed, or tack welded generic parts store sockets in. Some "press" in and out with contact fingers---I AM NOT familiar with the early A bodies sockets

This was very helpful!

Ok, replaced the flasher and back bulbs.. Got the rear signals working!!

Still no front signals.. Also, parking lights do not come on so I assume that is the issue..

Any thoughts?

Thank you!!
Casey FJ

If the bulbs are new and are known good, sometimes the sockets need cleaned or replaced the connections get corroded etc. you could do a wiggle test turn on the left side for example and gently wiggle the bulb see if it starts flashing etc. other than that basic test get a test light and probe deeper once on the right circuit your test light should flash then at least youd know if your flasher is feeding the front sockets.

The front turn signals, and the lights on the dash turn indicators, Are on a different circuit then the rear lights. They always work even when brakes are applied. Do the turn lights on the dash work? And get an electronic flasher, flashes with any load, or no load at all. Easier to trouble shoot IMO.
1720025938519.jpeg

The light on the dash do not work either
More then likely an issue with the turn signal switch. IMO. Even if new, it still is a likely culprit...or the connector that goes to the turn signal switch, at bottom of the steering column...

Make certain the front sockets are actually grounding. If necessary, solder pigtails to the socket shells and run over to the body and a screw, etc

Well I don’t know what I did… messed with the light switch, cleaned out sockets and giggled the bulbs a bit.

Didn’t work at first.. came back like 2 mins later and everything but the dash lights work haha

That will have zero effect on dash turn lights
I get your point but..............

You are assuming. For all we know both dash lamps are burned out. It is easier to troubleshoot the major problem and then worry about the small stuff Since the dash lamps are/ can be difficult to access, fix the signals and then.......

Well I don’t know what I did… messed with the light switch, cleaned out sockets and giggled the bulbs a bit.

Didn’t work at first.. came back like 2 mins later and everything but the dash lights work haha
I would check it out. Wiggle the TS switch, shake and wiggle the lamps in their sockets, etc, and actuate everything several times. By the way a jerry rigged mirror on some sort of stand can be very helpful so you can see the lights from the driver's area

I get your point but..............

You are assuming. For all we know both dash lamps are burned out. It is easier to troubleshoot the major problem and then worry about the small stuff Since the dash lamps are/ can be difficult to access, fix the signals and then.......
I gave it some thought, you are correct....

Want to point out on these vintage cars the front parking light are supposed to be off with the headlights on if you pull the switch out to the first notch the parking lights will come on. Lighting standards changed in the late 60s to leave the park lights on with the headlights.

-
Back