Turning a 74 into a 72

-
Stan, it's amazing what you have done over the past 3 years. You have done an outstanding job, the car looks awsome. Hope you can find all your parts in short time to get it back on the road.

Stan, it's amazing what you have done over the past 3 years. You have done an outstanding job, the car looks awsome. Hope you can find all your parts in short time to get it back on the road.

Thanks Jeff, it's hard to believe that it has been three years so far. But I guess I did miss close to a year working on it while I was going through chemo. I know all the parts are here and I still have a lot of the stuff from the 72 that I parted out.
We decided to repaint the engine bay now. The rest of the the car looks so nice that I want the bay to looks as good too.
Then it will be on to rewiring the old girl.

I'm still up in the air as to what to do with the cardboard head liner. I've thought about getting some thin black vinyl from a fabric store and gluing in on it. Or maybe just painting it black.
I might have to start a thread on that and see what others have done with theirs.

If any body wants to know, here are the products and the pads that used with each one to cut and polish the paint.

001.JPG

Today I painted the floor boards with Herculiner and it came out pretty good.

002.JPG

003.JPG

Installed the headliner and a few other things also. Guess that's enough for one day.

004.JPG

Now where's that beer?

Great progress Stan! Your making me look really lazy.
We were able to tear down a SRT8 Jeep yesterday and install a new cam and heads.

Re shot the engine bay with paint and two coats of clear today. With the repaint on the car the engine bay just looked a little lighter. So we decided to do a repaint on it.

Here is the before picture, it has been sanded with 400 grit and ready for paint.

002.JPG

And here is after two more coats of paint and two good coats of clear.

003.JPG

Next we're going to shoot a couple coats of clear on the door jambs just to bring the shine out on them.
Sure feels good to be making headway on the dart again!

Another step out of the way. Mounted the floor shift and put in the carpet. Not putting the seats in yet because I still need to run all the wiring. Been thinking about getting some Scat pro 90 buckets.

002.JPG

Sure is starting to come together nicely Stan.
I can't wait for this summer to have it sitting next to me at a show or get together.

its for a 71,can i use the 74 trunk lid?before i buy the panel,theres no way to use the 74 one?fill in the taillight holes and use the 70-72 extensions?i really want to do this the original look of the 74 is really ugly lol.

I used the trunk from the 74 with the 72 rear tail light panel. The rear bumper from the 74 is a lot different then the 70 to 72 one, and mounts different. look at the 8th and 9th pictures in post #1, then look at post #15 and you'll see the difference.

I can c the difference but people want alote of money or are to far away for the tail panel.someone has them in pa but to ship here to ca would be pricey.

I haven't been working on my dart for a few weeks, but for a good reason. My folks who are both in there 80's bought a house about three miles from me and I have been remodeling it for them.
Tore a wall out between the kitchen and dinning room, took a window out and installed a sliding doorwhere the window was.
My cousin came over and re sheet rocked over the ceiling, it had that heavy texture on it that was put on in the 70's
And he said the best way to deal with it was to just go over it with new sheet rock.

Had to replace the floor in one bathroom due to a leaking toilet.

New flooring in the kitchen, dining room, and both halls.

And new carpet in the rest of the house.

They will be moving in next week and I'm excited about it. This will be the first time in a lot of years that I get to have them living close to me.

Hey thanks for bumping this thread, I never saw it before. I just read the whole thing. You did a lot of great work in not much time, really, considering how much work it was. Almost makes me wish I had a 74 to convert to a 72! (OK, not really). The car looks fantastic though. I hope you finish it and get it back on the road soon, it seems like most of the hardest work is out of the way.

Have the pellet stove on high in the shop and have been working on the interior of the dart.

001.JPG

Put the back seat in just to see how it will look.

003.JPG

My dart use to be green, now that it's blue I hope the green dart on the seat will look okay.

Put the passenger side seat belt in then realized The driver side was broken and partly gone.
Guess I'll be starting a parts needed thread for a black 74 seat belt.

004.JPG

Only thing else I managed to do was put a nice scratch int the paint on the roof. :wack:

Put the passenger side seat belt in then realized The driver side was broken and partly gone.
Guess I'll be starting a parts needed thread for a black 74 seat belt.

004.JPG

you should un twist the belt on the top. Take the bottom retractor off and turn one time counter clockwise

And also I had the same problem with the retractors in the seat belts and switched to 1973 style ones with the clips that hold the top half of the belt to the headliner

Well it's time to put the engine in so we can finish the rewiring.

Here's a picture of it sitting on the engine stand.

003.JPG

And one of it in the dart.

001.JPG

No transmission in it yet I have a friend that is going to show me how to overhaul my 904 and put a shift kit in it.

I'm planning on driving this thing this spring!

More to come!

Just set it in tonight but had to take it back out. We couldn't get things to line up right and finnaly figured out that the parts house gave me two left side motor mounts instead of a right and a left.

-
Back