Turning a 74 into a 72

-
Hey guys....I live in Winter Hill apts just accross from the YMCA on 64th st....small world!

Well figured I had better get something done while it sun is shining instead of raining cleaned the engine bay up some.

74%20dart%20130.jpg

Thought I would start cleaning up the 72 fenders of coarse when I did I found rust issues that had been covered up with bondo. The piece you can see that I made and replaced was held in with bondo, no welding just rust and bondo.
Who ever the guy was that did the body work on the 72 he was a master at covering up rust so you couldn't tell it was there. I'd like to meet him someday and KICK HIS A**!

74%20dart%20131.jpg

Have to get a new wheel for my grinder to smooth out my crappy welding but I didn't think it turned out to bad for making the repair patch myself.

Getting ready to hit it with primer. Been waiting for the weather to improve so I can roll it outside and sand it down. Repairing crappy patch jobs on the 72 fenders some one did.

We have been working on my Son-in-laws 71 dart putting a new quarter panel on it, thats done now and time to get back to work on my car.

Little update, I bought my primer today and decided on a color, it's a 2008 Chrysler color called Surf blue pearl. Thinking a black butt stripe and haven't decided if I'm going to put the go wing on yet.
Still doing some body work. I'm kind of stuck on one of my lower rear patch panels I put on. Just doesn't look right (HELP ROSS!!! ) just kidding!
I might have to buy a new one from AMD the one I took off of the 72 was pretty hammered and I'm starting to think I shouldn't have used it.
Been por15ing any place that has surface rust on it on the floor pans and trunk. I'm amazed how far a quart of por15 goes.

I have the engine bay just about ready to primer only thing left to do is patch the hole where the bulkhead connector was. With my new wiring harness I won't be needing that. YEAH!

I have this week off and the sun is shining so I'm a happy camper, Friday I'm heading to the Olympic Peninsula for a couple of days of halibut fishing with my Dad and Brother-in-law. I'll be doing yard work and working on the dart till then.

Love the thread! Keep it coming. I had been debating the switch. I got a good solid car but really never liked the 74 as well as the 70-72 models.

I just pulled the tail end off my 74 today and I am looking for the parts for the conversion! Your work is awesome and pushed me to go for it! Thanks !!!!

Thanks MD18! I looked at the pictures of your 74 looks like a nice car to start with. Good luck on the transformation.

Worked on the driver side rear quarter panel this week end. Couldn't help myself had to shot some primer on it, now for the glide coat and some more block sanding.

74%20dart%20001.jpg

74%20dart%20002.jpg

I'm really wanting to get this thing painted by late summer so I have all winter to rewire and put it all back together.
But first I have to save money for my annual pilgrimage to Canada for some good salmon and halibut fishing with my four amigos.
It don't cost us much to get there but man is the bar bill a killer!

More to come, I'm hoping to shot some more primer this coming weekend.

Looken Good Stan, just curious that green shell do you think it could be strapped to the back of my pick up box? If so I could get it out of your way shortly.

greendart72, what make are the coil over shocks that you got they look really good and an Idea that I might have to steal or copy ya that's it copy for my Dart. Great thread so far keep up the Great WORK more pics PLEASE :)

bkd I have a picture of the box, not sure if you can get the name off of them. I'll look through my receipts and see if I can come up with a name,
74%20dart%20098.jpg

bkd I have a picture of the box, not sure if you can get the name off of them. I'll look through my receipts and see if I can come up with a name,

Thanks by the way, remember where you got them from? sorry for all the questions just wondering I'll leave you alone and Thanks,
Brad

Found them I think these are them,
Monroe 58496 Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shock Absorber
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Monroe-58496-Sensa-Trac-Adjusting-Absorber/dp/B000C53RUS/ref=au_pf_ss_8?ie=UTF8&n=15684181&s=automotive&carId=002"]Amazon.com: Monroe 58496 Sensa-Trac Load Adjusting Shock Absorber: Automotive@@AMEPARAM@@http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/31QKWVBcbEL.@@AMEPARAM@@31QKWVBcbEL[/ame]
Thanks for your help Stan.
Brad

-
Back