Turning back the clock

-
Still in construction mode at the rental house and HDK World Headquarters but I manage to put a few hours in on the Flash ....sneaked in a couple of afternoons grinding welds on one side of Marks fab shop while Mark / Fog built a sprint car (you can see it in the background of the previous pictures) and welded up a K. It is fun to ponder the fabrication of the trans cover and mid-plate during breaks.

You can also see that the roll cage now has all the additional bars /stubs removed and is back to original.

It is easy to roll a project in the corner to work on "later"....but (IMHO) is important to keep moving forward. It does not matter how small the task....do something...anything to keep your project alive. Too often they get parked in the corner and abandoned.

Last edited:
They sure did...along with every other piece of 1975 sheet metal the Flash needs.

I have replacement sheetmetal "in stock" for the Cable Car build..... it doesn't HAVE to be 1975 metal. ....but for the Flash, which is a 1975, I want the correct year stampings on any metal.

I know, I'm anal.

What's funny.....before the last Flash paint job....the car was the same ****-brown color.
Why someone would paint a race car that color is beyond me.....go figure

Last edited:
Moving along......scored a pair of NOS front Super Tricks .....I am still a little weak from the blood (and $$$) I had to give to win out on e-bay...but they are virgin new and worth the sacrifice.

With the mid-plate and TTi clutch linkage complete, we finished up the week working on the removable 4-speed tunnel cover. That should get buttoned up this week.

Still a couple of small things to address before it leaves the fab shop.

Last edited:
when she is done with the red / white interior in the Demon....maybe she will come over and help me do a simple black re-do on the Flash. BTW....Does she do ring and pinion installs?

when she is done with the red / white interior in the Demon....maybe she will come over and help me do a simple black re-do on the Flash. BTW....Does she do ring and pinion installs?

Haha, nope she tears stuff apart, puts together car shows and events, manages 6 kids, and stands around looking pretty. No ring and pinion work yet....

image.jpg

Old Man Mopar has the "looking pretty" thing covered around here...let me know when she starts on the ring and pinions..... we could use 'er

stay safe,
Denny

Moving along......scored a pair of NOS front Super Tricks .....I am still a little weak from the blood (and $$$) I had to give to win out on e-bay...but they are virgin new and worth the sacrifice.

that's a nice looking set.....I don't think the price was all that bad.
s-l1600.jpg

Ross.....I slowly getting over it.

Just need to score some rears.....all or halves. I will buy what ever I have to.
Anybody out there.....the front half of the rears are 7-1/4" deep (outer rim to face).....I could even go an inch less if needed.

Last edited:
Underside of new custom fabbed tunnel - dzus fastened into the floor.

pre-blast%201_zpso8ctjl4q.jpg

Topside view (secured with Clecos)

pre-blast%205_zpsw9zzcey7.jpg

Re-opened side marker light hole which was filled on a previous repaint.
Next week leaving here to go to the media blaster and then to body shop.

pre-blast%203_zpsx8uahbl2.jpg

small delay....after numerous tries by me. Mark / Fog, the welder discovered the correct remote brake reservoir by searching the net and it is on it's way as of last Thursday. We will test fit to make sure the original mounting is retained.....THEN the Flash goes to clean up.

that leaves ONLY the outer rear tricks to locate and purchase....one bite at a time.

Last edited:
Car was blasted today and Monday morning it will be at our paint and body guy's place. Same person has painted every car we have built since 1975.

Leal%20Car%20Blasted%20021_zpsst0ejmul.jpg

Leal%20Car%20Blasted%20009_zpserkciagm.jpg

Leal%20Car%20Blasted%20013_zpsxl0ib3qc.jpg

Leal%20Car%20Blasted%20011_zpsiyaspio6.jpg

Leal%20Car%20Blasted%20010_zpsbhxohmgl.jpg

Leal%20Car%20Blasted%20016_zps8fagf8un.jpg

Looks like you gave Bout a good canvas to start with, I'm sure he will make it perfect.

Looks like you gave Bout a good canvas to start with, I'm sure he will make it perfect.

if perfect means how it was when it was built....I am all for it.

I do like the zero rust.....just a few battle scars

I'll bet in places it had over 10 coats of paint on it......the bondo around the markers is interesting. When we opened them back up , I thought...Oh no....lots of mud, there could be damage or warping in the quarters. However, I took note that the inside of the panels were straight. To our relief, it appears when they filled in the marker light openings in a previous paint job they had to feather filler out to the existing multi layers of paint. (then add more paint). We had asked the blaster to try to remove the paint and stop when they got to filler. Now all that filler can go away. Just need a little filler to smooth out the enlarged rear fenderwell openings and good to go!

Last edited:
ooops.....I see a hole I forgot to have Fog fill. I will catch it at Bouts.

perfection is not our goal....it is our standard.

[QUOTE="HemiDenny, post:

perfection is not our goal....it is our standard.[/QUOTE]

my favorite saying I got from you and yes, it better than "I was stiffer than a wedding pecker."!

Gotta love it.....I guide my life by a couple of simple sayings....praying to baby Jesus is one I got from you. He answered my / our prayers Nov 8th. Drain the swamp.

Dropped the Flash off at Bouts and because Bout was out at the time I went over the plans with Terry, his head body guy....you know the drill, clean up, epoxy coat, and smooth anything (minor) that needs attention . Bro John stopped by later.....Bout had 6 pages of stuff. :)....rhut-row!

Last edited:
especially if he writes BIG.....(ol' trick learned in high school)

I need to stop by Bouts and check the progress on the Flash. Be nice to see it with the epoxy coat on it. I guess I (in reality, Bout) has until late February or mid-March until the new shop is ready for its arrival for pre-assembly. I like to have the body in primer, ready for a final block, then paint.

With the Flash still on the rotisserie . ...it takes up a lot of space. I consider that a great incentive to get it done.

-
Back