Two minor questions.

-

ArizonaKid

Reaction score
The car is a 1974 dart swinger, 225 /6.

1: The light switch gets hot during use, at the end of my 45 minute commute, it is hot to the touch, not quite to a painful hot, but close. Is this normal? If not, how can I fix it?

2: I have done LEDs in all of my marker lights. If I switch to LED headlights, will I Have to get an LED compatible floor switch for the high/low beams? If so, who makes one?

If you are upgrading headlights, I would highly suggest switching to a relay type system.

Member crackedback (Rob), sells a pre-made kit that you can just install and run upgraded lights.

The factory wiring isn't quite up to the task.

The heat may come from the rheostat that dims the instrument lights. It you crank it full intensity the heat should reduce.

The power efficient way is to use a PWM controller for a dimmer. The PWM is variable duty cycle, so losses are minimal.

Agree. Those rheostat's have a ceramic body that holds the wire, which suggests they can get hot. LED dash bulbs will greatly reduce the load, though don't dim as well w/ the rheostat, but I am happy with them at their full brightness.

I don't know about LED headlights. If drop-in compatible w/ your existing round bulbs, they should work w/ your floor switch since all it does it switch power between the low-beam and high-beam pins. I am surprised that one member who does professional car lighting hasn't jumped in and questioned if DOT-approved. If not, you might be found liable after an accident.

-
Back