Two/ multipiece SB timing covers?

-

67Dart273

Reaction score
Does ANYbody make a street compatible (stock water pump) two/ multipiece timing cover to make it easier to diddle the cam timing?

uhh, the water pump bolts to the cover... so i dont think thats possible. i guess it could be with some serious fabrication.

I see that I'm not the only one who's irritated by the timing cover's design "flaw" !

I wonder how much trouble it'd be to modify a 'cover so that the damned harmonic balancer does not have to be removed in order to change the timing cover's gaskets ...

Of course , the 'balancer has to be removed in order to access the crank's timing gear , in-so-far-as timing chain "diddling" is concerned .

I don't mind pulling either the pump or the balancer. The object would be to "get to" the darn thing without screwing with the pan front gasket.

I "think" I remember one years ago, where the top sprocket could be adjusted with allen screws through access holes in the flat top of the cover. It's just a vague memory in my mind.

I believe Ed Hamburger sold the piece that 67Dart273 described.. no idea if his business or that timing cover are still available.. it looked like a stock piece with the flat on top removed and a replaceable one screwed on... maybe an enterprising guy could mill part of 1 out and fasten a piece of polycarbonate over the area.. might be an idea to keep and eye on chain health too.
I hope that helps some....

Alan

I did see such a part. The timing cover accepted a aftermarket water pump like a CSR. Behind it, a bolt on cover covered the gear. There is a big block version of this. The S/B was a fab'd up unit well done. IDK if there is a S/B unit any more.

it was made by Greg Z, @ Magnum HP. I have this on my 408 stroker....its not a cheap setup by any means..($250 or so for the cover)...U have to use an electric fuel pump (another $200 or so), electric water pump, (the csr unit is about $330) which means ya gotta use electric fans..(another couple hundred)..boy what a pain in the expensive ***....im taking it all off and going all mechanical....

IMG_0026.jpg

IMG_0021.jpg

IMG_0025.jpg

!! YIKES !! I wish I had your engine and you had a better one!!

I believe Ed Hamburger sold the piece that 67Dart273 described..

Well at least I didn't imagine it. The piece I remember required a very special top sprocket, some sort of two piece deal that you stuck allen?? wrenches down in and moved the sprocket.

Well, something like this is way way beyond my capabilities, especially since the factory cover material is not something I'm capable of working/ welding with.

I do have a drill-mill, though.......

Ahhhhh, there's the part I remember! Pricey thing aint it?!

I can probably make a two piece cover if there is a demand for it.

Pretty much the same as we did for the Oldsmobiles when we were running the peak. The cover designs are very similar.

How many people want this sort of thing with an OEM water pump?

B.

Pretty much the same as we did for the Oldsmobiles when we were running the peak. The cover designs are very similar.

B.

hell yea, OEM water pump, AND fuel pump, please!!

B.

Like most things with the budget I'm trying to work with - depends on the price. What do you think something like this would cost us poor hard-working guys?

One of the Engine masters 360's had a chivy electric pump grafted onto a "dry" timing chain cover, I suppose you could cut an inspection window in the cover behind the electric water pump and get into it from there? What would be cool is a poor mans belt drive with an extension off the cam through a crank seal in the water pump well and a cogged lower hub on the crank. Maybe some sort of mechanical tensioner....
P4876631.jpg

Gotta be cheaper than a Jesel or this 1500 RB unit:
timingbelt_Chrysler.png

cover.jpg

B.

That would be interesting to see.

Any pics I have of the olds parts would be on a negative someplace, but we basically built them from a stock cover.

The olds had a fair bit of room between the end of the cam & the cover. I honestly don't know how much space there is on the LA. If somebody wants to drop a straightedge across an installed timing set & measure the distance to the block face - then do the same thing with a cover & post the numbers it would help.

The only 318 I have is in my '65, and it has the early waterpump on it. I am not really interested in tearing off a leak free cover to see if it can be done. If someone is interested in taking some measurements I will be happy to have a look at things.

B.

Ya know the sound it makes when you drop an allen wrench down an open timing cover? Oh F**k

Helpin' a Chivvy buddy one time. Dropped something down the open distributor hole. The air is still blue down there where it was parked.

-
Back