Uh Oh !! Bad knocking !!

-
never seen it in real life, but ive seen it on fabo about a half dozen times

That is the exact reason I never use those rockers. I broke many of them. They don't like RPM. Or much spring pressure. Or a cam with fast ramps.

When i bought an old 360 off some guy he said it had a nice cam in it! NOPE! both push rods stright through the rocker arms on the number 1 cylinder! explained the lope though lol

Whattaya think, can I reuse that pushrod?? Assuming it's not bent. Can you buy just one pushrod??

What are all those numbers on the various rockers? I know there are lefts and rights, but do the numbers have any meaning? Can I just purchase and install any ol' stamped rocker?? I remember MOPAR Action had an article on stamped rockers a couple of years ago...

The installed rockers have a little hole about 3/32" drilled into each pushrod cup. Is that standard?

One last silly question, because I've never done it before: can I simply unbolt the rocker shaft, slip on the new rocker, and bolt the rocker shaft back on, or is it more complicated than that??

The installed rockers have a little hole about 3/32" drilled into each pushrod cup. Is that standard?

One last silly question, because I've never done it before: can I simply unbolt the rocker shaft, slip on the new rocker, and bolt the rocker shaft back on, or is it more complicated than that??
That's pretty much it...but a word of caution - there is a torque chart out there that is WRONG. Do not try to tighten the rocker shaft bolts to 30 foot pounds.
It's like 17 foot pounds. ...you'll snap a bolt and be pissed!

Jeff

Few things in life that can make you this happy. It's up there with kids running to give you a hug when you get home from work.

If you go the ductile iron 273 adjustables make sure and splurge for the new adjusters.

When you pull the rocker shaft bolts out, check to see if they are stretched. I torque mine to 18 ft lbs and that was enough to stretch them after having the rockers on and off a few times. Upgrading to new bolts is easy and cheap insurance if you're pulling the rocker shafts off anyways. MrJLR hit the nail on the head about over torquing the bolts!

Probably. ...but kinda overkill.
NAPA grade 8 bolts would be fine...about $7.00

Jeff
Cool. Anyone know size and pitch and length?? I'm in the parking garage at work, so I'm trying to limit my numbers of trips to the parts house ...

I still can't believe my luck! (Didn't win Mega Millions last night, though ...)

When you pull the rocker shaft bolts out, check to see if they are stretched. I torque mine to 18 ft lbs and that was enough to stretch them after having the rockers on and off a few times. Upgrading to new bolts is easy and cheap insurance if you're pulling the rocker shafts off anyways. MrJLR hit the nail on the head about over torquing the bolts!
BRW, how does one "... check to see if they are stretched"??

BRW, how does one "... check to see if they are stretched"??

Look at the threads. If it's narrower in one spot then it's stretched and should be replaced. If they're not stretched, replace em anyways because the bolts are probably ancient and new ones are dirt cheap. I think I spent less than $5 replacing mine.

Here's a picture of what to look for:

bolts.jpg

Look at the threads. If it's narrower in one spot then it's stretched and should be replaced. If they're not stretched, replace em anyways because the bolts are probably ancient and new ones are dirt cheap. I think I spent less than $5 replacing mine.

Here's a picture of what to look for:

View attachment 1714949037
That picture is fantastic.
Any bolt that looks like that is trash!
I wouldn't use that to build a fence.....

Jeff

That picture is fantastic.
Any bolt that looks like that is trash!
I wouldn't use that to build a fence.....

Jeff

Mine weren't as bad as the picture, but I wouldn't feel comfortable reusing a bolt that had any visible stretching.

Better safe than sorry! Especially with bolts since they're so cheap.

Mine weren't as bad as the picture, but I wouldn't feel comfortable reusing a bolt that had any visible stretching.

Better safe than sorry! Especially with bolts since they're so cheap.
Let us know how it turns out!
Guys love a happy ending!

Jeff

Don't over think this. Unbolt the rocker shaft, replace that rocker and push rod, reinstall the whole assembly . Just make sure all 8 push rods remain in their pocket on the rockers and the other end in the lifter socket as you tighten the shaft assembly down. And let her rip.

That is the exact reason I never use those rockers. I broke many of them. They don't like RPM. Or much spring pressure. Or a cam with fast ramps.

Well, I am sure you are aware MP DID make some HD factory style rockers with the pushrod dimple beefed up. But they are difficult to find now.

Hooray for you.
I dodged it too; by not using the 340 stockers I had at all. You can tell the 340 rockers by the size of the relief cut for the 340 springs.
Make sure the p-rod balls fit the cups properly;both ends. Consider stronger arms. Tow jobs add up.
Glad it wasn't more serious

-
Back