Ultrasonic thickness meter for cylinder walls

-

cudascott

It’s a sickness!
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good sonic thickness tester with the correct probe for measuring
an inside radius surface? All the ones I’ve researched are flat faced probes does it have to have a radius?
Thanks

"WHICH" one? That's just their home page.
"WHICH" one? That's just their home page.
An older series they don’t make any more. He can surely search their site and find one with a convex transducer for checking cylinders. If not, let’s say, maybe he’s a total caveman, he can at least call them and ask for a model number and a retailer... damn, some of you need led to water and be forced to drink lol

An older series they don’t make any more. He can surely search their site and find one with a convex transducer for checking cylinders. If not, let’s say, maybe he’s a total caveman, he can at least call them and ask for a model number and a retailer... damn, some of you need led to water and be forced to drink lol

Well I was also looking.

No worries. I can post a picture of it when I get home but it’s 15 years old.

To the OP, you need to know that not all ultrasonic testers will read cast iron, so make sure the one you're looking at does. Also, the transducer doesn't HAVE to be curved. As long as it's a relatively small diameter (8mm is a popular size) so that all of the transducer surface will contact the cylinder, your readings will be accurate. There are some that come with several different shaped transducers, but they tend to be on the high end of budget.

I have been looking at this one, for example. It's a USA seller, although the product is made in China. It's about the best seller feedback I can find with that model. It's affordable, has an 8mm transducer and does all types of metal. Read the description.

UM6500 Handheld Digital Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge Ultrasonic Tester Meter USA | eBay

Sellers with decent feedback are the ones with a better chance of taking care of problems like defective items and whatnot. I generally don't buy from a seller whose feedback is below 99%.

The Dakota one is the PR-8V specifically states for performance and race engine inspection.

When you order yours, get me one too! lol

they are on the high end but I reckon if you have say 5000 grand in a build and it grenades because the cylinder walls were too thin 1,600 wouldn’t sound too bad:lol:

they are on the high end but I reckon if you have say 5000 grand in a build and it grenades because the cylinder walls were too thin 1,600 wouldn’t sound too bad:lol:

I don't disagree not one bit!

Rob,
I been meaning to tell you I like them videos you been making. I like to do some but I’m sure to screw them up.

I have been looking at this one, for example. It's a USA seller, although the product is made in China. It's about the best seller feedback I can find with that model. It's affordable, has an 8mm transducer and does all types of metal. Read the description.

UM6500 Handheld Digital Ultrasonic Thickness Gauge Ultrasonic Tester Meter USA | eBay

Sellers with decent feedback are the ones with a better chance of taking care of problems like defective items and whatnot. I generally don't buy from a seller whose feedback is below 99%.

I had a similar one that worked great for a couple of years, until a couple of weeks ago when I went to check a couple of my own 340 blocks, The dang thing won't come on. I checked the batteries and they were good, replaced them anyway and it still will not power up. Still, for the price not too bad and checked quite a few blocks with it.

I am flying blind with my own block though, I just did eeny-meeny-miney-moe and picked one to bore. I have a couple of early 318s I wanted to check too.

I will probably buy the same one again, as it was accurate when checking something you could get calipers on to test it.

For a curved probe, I held a piece of sand paper in the bore of an old 360 block and rubbed the probe back and forth until ti was curved.

was researching these the other day and found a thread over on speedtalk talking bout sanding the flat probes into a convex shape! bunch of other threads on other sites saying same thing! but none of them claimed any dead nuts accuracy! any body find an affordable one thats close to right let me know!

damn, some of you need led to water and be forced to drink lol
...So this Camel won't drink any water and the owner asks how he can get him to drink. The guy at the watering hole tells him to suck the camels *** while he lower his head into the water. "Hmm, sounds like it'll work, lets give it a shot". He starts sucking the camels *** while the watering hole guys are falling over laughing. The owner starts to gag and yells over the tail, "pull his head up a little, I'm sucking up mud!"

-
Back