Universal fuel sender

-

Shrug

Reaction score
If I pick up one of those aftermarket universal fuel senders can I use my original lock ring to hold it in? Will it fit?

Never heard of a universal fuel sender. You can find the correct sender on ebay for ~$45. You can find upgraded senders with a 3/8" tube and/or a return tube for later EFI or a vapor return, for the same price. The new lock rings are usually loose, so hang onto the factory one.

I can't imagine a universal sender. Too many tank shapes, electrical requirements, etc..

No matter what sender you end up with most of the lock rings are too loose. By all means hang onto stock lock rings as you will need to reinstall.

No matter what sender you end up with most of the lock rings are too loose. By all means hang onto stock lock rings as you will need to reinstall.

I can't believe someone doesn't make better quality rings. CNC, anyone?

Do you have your original sender and the original gauges ?
If so, I can rebuild them.

Do you have your original sender and the original gauges ?
If so, I can rebuild them.

Really. How much? I just tested the original sender. It has the correct high and low resistance but there are high and dead spots in the middle.

I was just going to use an after market gauge for the time being. But if it does not cost too much, I would love to use the original.

Thank you!

Oh also I check out that regulator you make. I will be ordering one next month when I rewire my car.

If you use aftermarket gauges that operate on 12 volts you wont need a gauge voltage regulator.
As for how much, i cant know without evaulating what you have.

Eventually I will get the entire dash fixed. Some stuff I can do myself, but not the gas gauge.

I will be using the aftermarket gauge temporarily.

I only paid 2700 bucks for a running, driving, car. As you can imagine, it needs a LOT of work.

My The first things I need are a fuel gauge and speedo, and a tranny overhaul.

Then, oh the list goes on and on.

At least I can drive it a bit while working on it.

So can you please e-mail me the details of where I need to send the stuff?

I will also have to find something to plug the gas tank with while you have the sender.

[email protected]

If you have seen one for my car for $45 on Ebay, please give me a link. I can not find one.

I have a 1952 Chrysler Windsor.

That last piece of info certainly changes the response, and why people should always state the model and year of the car in question. The $45 ones are for ~63 to 76 A-bodies. I recall seeing the universal senders in J.C. Whitney years ago. They are intended for customized gas tanks with a large hole in the top. Most likely they are much too big to fit where your sender is, and yours is probably in the side.

-
Back