Unpopular opinion. I'm so frustrated I hate car shows/cruises.

-
Gonna make a nice engine storage dolley. Hopefully that fab job will ignite my interest a bit. 107°F days here doesnt help matters either.

First of all, the term "butt hurt" seems to be a Millenial favorite...a stupid term that annoys many people.
Secondly, if you're discouraged and disappointed with the situation, what are YOU doing about it? Have you joined a club and made suggestions to liven up the agenda?
Change may take time. Ask around about who is a drag racer, a drifter, a road course guy/gal. The motorsports aspect is always going to be more involved with their cars than the "lawn chair behind the car at the car show crowd".
I'm a member of a Sacramento Mopar club. There are some OLD members that do almost nothing in the club but there are a few around 30 that DO.
Your line "Have you joined a club and made suggestions to liven up the agenda" will get you in trouble and maybe excommunicated from the club.
Wife and I joined a small mopar club in northern Colorado. First thing we noticed was that it was very disorganized, poorly attended meetings with no agenda, just clicks of the "cool guys" sitting around talking about their cars while the "not cool" guys get ignored and end up talking to themselves. So at one poorly attended meeting, we and a couple other members decided to plan a cruise. Well word got around to the club president, and at the next meeting he got all pissy and accused us of trying to take over his club. After that, every meeting got smaller than the last. The president and the cool guys would never show up, just us nerds that wanted to do more with the club than just sit around looking at each other for a couple hours every month. We gave it up in less than a year and never went back.

A loser will find an enthusiastic member to be a threat.
One thing that sticks in my head is the phrase that I hear some assclown say when someone posts, writes or talks about something creative that they have done.
The assclown says...Wow, someone has a lot of time on their hands...
No, asshole...the guy expressed an interest and actually created something instead of being a sofa dwelling fat **** with no balls.
Our club's former President was in place far too long. He has no interest in changing anything. He reminded me of an old bitter couple that only stays together out of habit, not love or dedication.

I don't know anymore, I'm about ready to bail out of the whole scene. Owned my Dart for about 25 years now, but hardly ever drive it, maybe do 2 or 3 car shows every summer. We moved to a small town in the middle of nowhere, they have one show a year in August. The next closest shows are at least a 2 hour drive away. Maybe I'm just too old, but driving 2 hours to a show, sitting around in a hot parking lot for a few hours, then driving home at 4 or 5 pm when the temp is 90 degrees, and no air in the car, just doesn't sound like a good time anymore. The local show is run by a bunch of good ol' boys who all bought their cars already built. But the same guys with the expensive prebuilt cars are the ones who win all the awards every year. And you have to endure the horrible 50's bebop music. We're not all in our 70's and didn't grow up listening to bebop and motown. The music needs to be updated by 20 -30 years. And I have a problem with paying $35-$40 bucks to show my car while the spectators pay nothing, just for the chance to come home with an 8" tall plastic piece of crap trophy that just says *** Carshow 2022, and doesn't even say 1st, 2nd, 3rd on it. There are no cruises to go on, no dragstrip to go to.

^^^
Well, that does sound like a downer. I'm not fond of the hustle-bustle of city life and big populations but the complete opposite sounds like it has drawbacks too. I've spoken about how I'd like to move East to a small town not to get away from population but to get away from the politics of this messed up state. If I were to live in a town where I had the only classic car, it would be a bummer.
I don't live for car shows but I do enjoy them. Going through 2020 with no shows or gatherings was tough. I enjoy driving my cars more than showing them. Burnouts, curves, hills and valleys give me far more pleasure than sitting behind the car at a show. When I have shown my Charger, I walk off and look at other stuff there anyway.

There isn’t a weekend that doesn’t have a show or cruise within a few mi to 50 mi range in Central MN. And plenty of week day events also. I’m slowing down attending these but I like driving my car and visiting others with same interests. I belong to a large club and our president consists of a three yr term. 1st yr Vice Pres, 2nd yr Pres, 3rd yr car show chairman With different duties for each. Then there are secretary, treasurer, directors amongst other positions. We have maybe the largest one day show and swap in Minn. A lot of people with different opinions but brought together by the autmobile

I work on way bigger $hit than that. Today I was stuffed inside a fuel tank doing an inspection, and taking thickness measurements with a caliper on fuel transfer tube fittings. We call it tank diving, or tank spelunking. I call it sux ***... Theres a venturi constantly sucking fumes out of the fuel tank cap top of the wing. No PPE is needed. Still go home stinking of jet fuel.

View attachment 1716136252
Ultimately I ended up working aircraft maintenance specializing in avionics, I now sit behind a desk making more$$$ than I ever would wrenching vehicles. I'll retire in 10 years and cruise off into the sunset not looking back.....I still get suckered into side work seems no one can find a good mechanic these days...the main thing about the auto business is figuring out how to get out of the auto business...

There's a 66 Ford Galaxie in my area that has a nice repaint on it, but every panel doesn't line up, and I mean it sticks out like a sore thumb. I don't say anything to the owner but I always say it to my wife but its like "how can the owner live with that?" I assume they paid someone to do it and just accepted it or they bought it that way but someone didn't line the fenders up and the doors aren't lined up, the body lines are all over the place gaps off etc. It sad all it takes is a few hours of work to get it right. Alot of people quit or don't ever see the finish line .
Many decades ago I was determined to learn to do body/paint on the projects I drug home. I had a couple of guys that did perfect work on my "good" finds that usually went to a new home to help pay for my currect crop of "keepers" and I worked on the "lesser" ones. Too bad I never kept my keepers! It was a learnng process and I recognized what was perfect or not. My work was not perfect and doing gaps is never easy, especially all by your self. Now at age 75 I do not have the strength to make the latest project perfect even though now today decades later I know how....and so I am happy that I accomplished what I do. Life comes full circle I guess.

If at my old age I can drag home a roller and cut out the rust and patch, sand and, prime, filler, weld and it becomes a 20 footer..and it will run/drive and kill myself..Life is good!!!! And then also, it will never go to the car show except to get me there to visit and see other guys work or what they wrote a check for.. :thumbsup: :steering:

I don't know anymore, I'm about ready to bail out of the whole scene. Owned my Dart for about 25 years now, but hardly ever drive it, maybe do 2 or 3 car shows every summer. We moved to a small town in the middle of nowhere, they have one show a year in August. The next closest shows are at least a 2 hour drive away. Maybe I'm just too old, but driving 2 hours to a show, sitting around in a hot parking lot for a few hours, then driving home at 4 or 5 pm when the temp is 90 degrees, and no air in the car, just doesn't sound like a good time anymore. The local show is run by a bunch of good ol' boys who all bought their cars already built. But the same guys with the expensive prebuilt cars are the ones who win all the awards every year. And you have to endure the horrible 50's bebop music. We're not all in our 70's and didn't grow up listening to bebop and motown. The music needs to be updated by 20 -30 years. And I have a problem with paying $35-$40 bucks to show my car while the spectators pay nothing, just for the chance to come home with an 8" tall plastic piece of crap trophy that just says *** Carshow 2022, and doesn't even say 1st, 2nd, 3rd on it. There are no cruises to go on, no dragstrip to go to.
My suggestion? Go drive your Dart... There are lots of great drives in your area... Go for a drive, maybe you'll discover other like minded people, if your not out doing something you wont see others out cruising & they won't see you... I'm betting there are others in your area looking for something to do... Maybe throw a message up on a billboard at the local Auto Parts store or even on C/L or Facebook... Organize a couple 50-100 mile cruises & see how it goes... First time I did it I had 17 cars show up... We've done some 300+ miles drives but you loose a lot of folks when you do the longer drives... Only the hard core types want to go on the all day or multi-day drives... Been doing it since 2006.. Did 6 of them earlier this year then it got hot... It's starting to cool off so we'll be starting up again soon...

Oh, I've also helped eight guys add A/C to their cars so cruising is more comfortable... You might look into it...

Another thing... I still do most of the organizing of the group, calls/texts/emails.. But picking the route is shared, different people know different interesting places or different routes to get to the same places... You pick the route, you lead the cruise...

Last edited:
My suggestion? Go drive your Dart... There are lots of great drives in your area... Go for a drive, maybe you'll discover other like minded people, if your not out doing something you wont see others out cruising & they won't see you... I'm betting there are others in your area looking for something to do... Maybe throw a message up on a billboard at the local Auto Parts store or even on C/L or Facebook... Organize a couple 50-100 mile cruises & see how it goes... First time I did it I had 17 cars show up... We've done some 300+ miles drives but you loose a lot of folks when you do the longer drives... Only the hard core types want to go on the all day or multi-day drives... Been doing it since 2006.. Did 6 of them earlier this year then it got hot... It's starting to cool off so we'll be starting up again soon...

Oh, I've also helped eight guys add A/C to their cars so cruising is more comfortable... You might look into it...

Another thing... I still do most of the organizing of the group, calls/texts/emails.. But picking the route is shared, different people know different interesting places or different routes to get to the same places... You pick the route, you lead the cruise...
Excellent idea

Many decades ago I was determined to learn to do body/paint on the projects I drug home. I had a couple of guys that did perfect work on my "good" finds that usually went to a new home to help pay for my currect crop of "keepers" and I worked on the "lesser" ones. Too bad I never kept my keepers! It was a learnng process and I recognized what was perfect or not. My work was not perfect and doing gaps is never easy, especially all by your self. Now at age 75 I do not have the strength to make the latest project perfect even though now today decades later I know how....and so I am happy that I accomplished what I do. Life comes full circle I guess.

If at my old age I can drag home a roller and cut out the rust and patch, sand and, prime, filler, weld and it becomes a 20 footer..and it will run/drive and kill myself..Life is good!!!! And then also, it will never go to the car show except to get me there to visit and see other guys work or what they wrote a check for.. :thumbsup: :steering:
mentor a younger person.

mentor a younger person.
Mixed feelings on this... On one hand I 100% agree, unfortunately the reality is it's a challenge to find someone with the drive an ambition to do hard physical yet skilled work... My skill set isn't body & paint but I've offered a few times to assist young guys with little $$$ and serious car issues to teach them how to repair their cars.. And in every case I've been flatly turned down... These kids would rather walk than do the work required to fix their cars... And in each case the parents wind up buying them another car....

When I was their age my parents didn't buy me ****.. And if my car was broken down I needed to fix it so I could get to work... If someone had offered the help that I offered I'd have felt like I won the lottery... Not these kids...

So yeah, if you can find someone that wants to learn, show them what you can.. But I don't hold out much hope...

I hate sounding negative.. But sometimes it's just reality...

Mixed feelings on this... On one hand I 100% agree, unfortunately the reality is it's a challenge to find someone with the drive an ambition to do hard physical yet skilled work... My skill set isn't body & paint but I've offered a few times to assist young guys with little $$$ and serious car issues to teach them how to repair their cars.. And in every case I've been flatly turned down... These kids would rather walk than do the work required to fix their cars... And in each case the parents wind up buying them another car....

When I was their age my parents didn't buy me ****.. And if my car was broken down I needed to fix it so I could get to work... If someone had offered the help that I offered I'd have felt like I won the lottery... Not these kids...

So yeah, if you can find someone that wants to learn, show them what you can.. But I don't hold out much hope...

I hate sounding negative.. But sometimes it's just reality...
If they can't do it on their phone, they don't want to do it.

^^^
Well, that does sound like a downer. I'm not fond of the hustle-bustle of city life and big populations but the complete opposite sounds like it has drawbacks too. I've spoken about how I'd like to move East to a small town not to get away from population but to get away from the politics of this messed up state. If I were to live in a town where I had the only classic car, it would be a bummer.
I don't live for car shows but I do enjoy them. Going through 2020 with no shows or gatherings was tough. I enjoy driving my cars more than showing them. Burnouts, curves, hills and valleys give me far more pleasure than sitting behind the car at a show. When I have shown my Charger, I walk off and look at other stuff there anyway.
We love our new place in the country, but we are in a food desert, no decent restaurants, medical care and dentistry is sketchy, no car stuff to do etc. Going for a ride in the Dart means getting on the highway and going north or south, turning around and coming back. So there are trade off's. But I'd do it again in a heartbeat. We have a nicely restored farmhouse on 4 acres, 4 car garage, a beautiful piece of property with lots of wildlife around, and sunsets that would blow your mind. God definitely let us to this spot.

361917495_1210015409750872_4580910508247027003_n.jpg

mentor a younger person.
They all want Honda ?? or Nissan ????/ We live in the sticks, I would love to have a young guy want to come her and help. Who wants to work for less that $40/hr/ not even the illegals!

It would be like trying to find some HS kids today to buck bales!!!! hahahahaha

I love it when I hear an owner brag about how his car is “1 of x,*** EVER made!” EVER!! I’ve made it into an over/under bet with my friends

Yep, their is an older guy that comes to our cruise in, that has to be in his early 80`s.
Gets around fine without any aids, still sharp as a tac, has quite a collection, one is a early 30`s 4 dr. Packard. Man what a beautiful huge car. He recently found out his Allstate "picture henry J" was the only one on the road in the nation, bone stock, said he was heading up to Buffalo in it, from Va.
How cool is that! Rock on Olé boy.
Be pleasant to the old guys, you never know, they may have no family and choose you as the next care taker of their car at a great discount. In your end days it might not be all about the money, you won`t be alive to spend it any way. You`ll want them to go to a person you like and know they have the passion to take care of it.
Moparfest one year, older gent had a Hudson Hornet there. He overheard me telling my buddy about the Hornet and how successful it was in stock car racing etc. He practically flew up to me and shook my hand and we chatted about the car for a good 15 minutes. I think he was happy that someone else really appreciated his car.

There are low production cars out there. My 59 Dodge Sweptside is one of approx 100 built. So bet with your friends
I love it when I hear an owner brag about how his car is “1 of x,*** EVER made!” EVER!! I’ve made it into an over/under bet with my friends

How about the "open" (to all makes and models) shows that separate their award classes by issuing an award (or even 1-2-3rd in each even) to each body style of mustang, each body change of tirino, each series of Vette, each series of Chevy Buick olds and Pontiac, then lump all mopars together, giving 1 award for "best Mopar". That one always pisses me off.
Another one is when I go to a car show I don't go to see cars I can likewise go down to the respective Brand's showroom and see it's twin.... I'd much rather see what are now 40-50-even 60 year old cars

How about the "open" (to all makes and models) shows that separate their award classes by issuing an award (or even 1-2-3rd in each even) to each body style of mustang, each body change of tirino, each series of Vette, each series of Chevy Buick olds and Pontiac, then lump all mopars together, giving 1 award for "best Mopar". That one always pisses me off.
Another one is when I go to a car show I don't go to see cars I can likewise go down to the respective Brand's showroom and see it's twin.... I'd much rather see what are now 40-50-even 60 year old cars
I read something online (probably Facebook) where at one open show they gave best Mopar to a Pontiac...

Well like non Mopar guys like telling us we have a "nice Nova" I've sure had that with my volare.
When my neighbor was still alive I used to go downstate with him to his cabin, he'd been telling me about a car he saw "just like mine" that had been for sale down there I just "had"to see....
Well the next time I went with him he took me by this car . It was a 71 Ventura. He said "oh I thought it was a Plymouth"

I am in my late 50's and I quit going to shows 30 years ago. Just don't care about it. If someone comes up to me in a parking lot I am happy to talk with them.
I don't care what other people think about my cars.

For someone's "group of buddies" in the (admitted for no charge) crowd to "fix" the voting??
Wait, let me get this straight, you go to shows where the spectators vote on who gets class awards? I've never seen such a show and one wouldn't last beyond its first year if they did. I go to lots of shows and they are always participant votes or judged by some group without conflicts.

My big surprise this year was going to Moparfest in Ontario. Biggest Mopar show in Canada. Over 1500 cars on the showfield. No classes, no awards, no voting, no judging. A good time was had by all! I got to see 1500 Mopars that I had never seen before!

Oh and for the complainers about the Dead Pecker Bench crowd (I'm 67) I drove 6000 miles to that show, snagging one of the only prizes there - long distance, and spent quite a bit of time helping the first effort 19 year old next to me get his dead Duster running so he could get home (with a list of suggested work before he drove it again).

Since Covid circumstances have prevented me and my buddy Greig from doing the usual routine, taking our cars and staying the Saturday night. Last year (first post-Covid show) we went as spectators on Sunday and basically it sucked. Saturday had a record crowd and number of cars. Sunday had crappy weather and not much happening. We cut out pretty early and met my other friend for coffees at the New Hamburg Tim Horton's. This year Greig had a family thing so I went by myself on Sunday and it was somewhat better but I cut out after 4 hours. Hopefully next year we can get back to the usual routine. I'm 61 now so not having the car as a base to come back to after an hour of walking around and chill for a bit sucks too, especially when it's hot.

I'm still loving the Duster but I am getting to the point where I hate driving it in Toronto traffic. Especially when the weather is hot. Too many morons as well. Hopefully September through November will be cooler and I'll drive it more. Haven't gone to a cruise night since Covid, seems the closest one to me doesn't happen anymore and the next closest one I keep forgetting what night it is. Usually just the same cars and people anyway. There's a big cruise night Saturdays but it's in the west end and I'm in the east and driving there and back does not appeal to me in the slightest.

I seldom see classics around much anymore here. There's a 67 Galaxie in a driveway a few blocks away. Never seen it on the road. Another guy has a 71 Riviera I've seen once this year and a 66 T-Bird lives around here too also seen once. 74 E-Type Jaguar V-12 down the street. Don seems to get it out fairly often. The 59 Vette I don't think I've seen in 2 years.

Used to take the Duster over to Home Depot or the LCBO or Common Good Brewing or run other errands with it. But since we got the Wrangler, our daily is such a fun ride I take it most times. Contemplating selling the Duster and getting a modern Challenger instead. But lots of Mopar buddies tell me to be sure before you do it cos once it's gone, I may regret it. Plus I know what it's worth and what it's Challenger Scat Pack replacement would cost and I do not want to kick in an extra $20-25K over what I'd get. I've seen to many videos as well where people trash Challengers and Chargers doing dumb things.

As to people, I am always getting thumbs up, nice comments and smiles. Some folks like to talk about the one they used to have and I'm happy to talk to them. In the 10 years I've had it not one person has told me what's wrong with it, called it a Nova or said anything derogatory. Not even Chevy guys. Funnily enough, I also get lots of positive remarks about the Wrangler.

-
Back