Update on My 64 Dart project

-
Been awhile since I posted so I thought I'd just put an update on. Went tp Springfling the first of May. Scored a complete Caltrac setup and a complete mechanical tach with a old school Moroso mechanical 12K tac. I haven't seen one of those in years. Anyway I ended up with a noise in the engine on the Charger. Turns out I have two rear mains and two of the rear rod bearings out so we had to pull the motor. Kinda sets me back on getting back on the Dart. Oh well. I have enough parts to put a dent in the project. Major undertaking will be fitting up the fenderwell headers.

Well finally got the Calverts on the Dart. Car sits level now so i'll have to see how much I need to raise the rear but I'm thinking about 1". I'll call John calvert with the part number for the front springs. Finally found a set of fenderwells so I'll be pulling the TTI's in the next few weeks. I still need to come up with a template to cut the inner fender wells. Wiring is on it's way so I can start wiring up the engine compartment. Still need to get the aluminum radiator built but that's down the road. Hood should be painted by the end of next week.

sweet ride! i also have a 64 dart i've been working on. this thread is like my bible! hope you get the charger fixed so you can get back on the dart soon.

sweet ride! i also have a 64 dart i've been working on. this thread is like my bible! hope you get the charger fixed so you can get back on the dart soon.

Getting the motor back today so in it goes this weekend. Got the new wiring harness for the Dart so as soon as i get some free time in it goes. I'll probably take the TTI headers out first. I'm expecting the wheelwell headers any day now.

Started back on the project, mainly replacing and installing trim. Rear bumper is on, need to get a set of locks. As soon as I get the TTI's out I'll be cutting the fenderwell for the headers. I have a plasma cutter so it won't be too bad. I also need to dissassemble the tack drive distributor for a rebuild/. I finally got some A-100 seats. I have a buddy that has the template for the A-100 SS seat mounts

glad to see your back on the old dart. i just got mine running again after it munched a lifter. next motor im building is gonna be a roller. cant wait to see pics of your new fenderwells in the 64. looks like your setup is going to make a great pavement pounder!

glad to see your back on the old dart. i just got mine running again after it munched a lifter. next motor im building is gonna be a roller. cant wait to see pics of your new fenderwells in the 64. looks like your setup is going to make a great pavement pounder!

Thanks, hope to have fire by next month.

if you have a junk early A you could pratice the hole you are going to cut for the fender well headers,,in past experience the instructions always tell you to cut a hole way bigger then you need,, if useing full fender well headers you will probably have to cut real close to the shock tower,,i would brace that area underneith,, ive seen several upper shock mouts and upper control arm mounts come out of position or just cave in after the inner fender sheet metal has been removed for headers,,,just my 2 cents,,,,cant wait to see it,,

if you have a junk early A you could pratice the hole you are going to cut for the fender well headers,,in past experience the instructions always tell you to cut a hole way bigger then you need,, if useing full fender well headers you will probably have to cut real close to the shock tower,,i would brace that area underneith,, ive seen several upper shock mouts and upper control arm mounts come out of position or just cave in after the inner fender sheet metal has been removed for headers,,,just my 2 cents,,,,cant wait to see it,,

I'm taking my time on this. I have several experts as well as some pictures provided to me by some of the members on this board. The only decision I haven't decided on is the use of a plasma cutter vs a cut-off wheel.

Got the trunk done and will be setting up the rear battery ala the MAD wiring.
I'll take some pics of the trunk area this weekend. Go's over to my buddies shop next week so we can remove the TTI headers and do the surgery on the inner fenders for the fenderwells. After that I should start seeing some major progress. Oh, and I fixed an axle problem. Seems the housing was cut a little shorter than the stock A body and since the axles were stock length the axles were bound up. Quick fix was to cut 1/16th off the end of each axle. Problem solved.

I'm taking my time on this. I have several experts as well as some pictures provided to me by some of the members on this board. The only decision I haven't decided on is the use of a plasma cutter vs a cut-off wheel.

I purchased a small air saw a few years ago. Looks like a smaller version of a saw-za. The small blade sticks out of the end of it and it fits in your hand. This tool was great for cutting sheet metal and was smoother and faster than a cut off wheel plus it does nice curves. If you need a picture of it I'll send one. Jysnflem

DSCN4390.jpg

I purchased a small air saw a few years ago. Looks like a smaller version of a saw-za. The small blade sticks out of the end of it and it fits in your hand. This tool was great for cutting sheet metal and was smoother and faster than a cut off wheel plus it does nice curves. If you need a picture of it I'll send one. Jysnflem

I have one but it's like running a skill saw in that they tend to go off course if you are not carefull. The plan is to use a plasma cutter. They cut a clean line. I sure like your car. I'm actully going to follow your lead on the side stripe only mine will be blue to match the interior. I also like the chrome that borders the rear bumper. I never noticed that on an A body. That's a nice looking car (did I already say that....?.) Radair wheels? What size wheel/tire are you running on the rear?

Damn jysnflem and dart4forte! you guys have some clean rides! i can't wait till i get mine painted. i like the plasma idea too. when a friend first got one we ended up making a six foot long sheetmetal sign just for fun. did you ever find a template for the fenderwells?

Damn jysnflem and dart4forte! you guys have some clean rides! i can't wait till i get mine painted. i like the plasma idea too. when a friend first got one we ended up making a six foot long sheetmetal sign just for fun. did you ever find a template for the fenderwells?

I have a bunch of pics of different cars from this site that have fenderwells. I also have a guy that ran a 65 Dart in Stock Eliminator that knows pretty much on how much to cut. From what I've been told the templates cut an area way more that is needed. The area to be cut will be marked and checked before we actually make the cuts. I also figured out what to use as a border to cover the actual cut for that clean look.

dart with the radirs looks great ,,, wish i could get them in the size i need,,

I have one but it's like running a skill saw in that they tend to go off course if you are not carefull. The plan is to use a plasma cutter. They cut a clean line. I sure like your car. I'm actully going to follow your lead on the side stripe only mine will be blue to match the interior. I also like the chrome that borders the rear bumper. I never noticed that on an A body. That's a nice looking car (did I already say that....?.) Radair wheels? What size wheel/tire are you running on the rear?

Thanks guys for the compliments. Rear rims are 15" X 10" and tires are ET street 28 X 12.5. When are you going to post some recent pictures of the Dart?? I'm sure everyone would like to see it again. Jysnflem

a-bodies.jpg

Thanks guys for the compliments. Rear rims are 15" X 10" and tires are ET street 28 X 12.5. When are you going to post some recent pictures of the Dart?? I'm sure everyone would like to see it again. Jysnflem

I have all the pics of your car, it's pretty much a clone of mine exept for the post and the 273/4 speed. I have the axle problem fixed now and the new wheels for the back, just need to paint them. I'll probably move the car to the shop in a few weeks for the inner fender surgery and to mock-up the fenderwells. The headers will then go to be coated. From there it's all down hill (I Hope!!)

that dart is BEAUTIFUL,,,whats under the hood ??
i need 15x15 rims,, radiar ,,wont make me a custom set,,i may look in to a set with the correct front spacing and get the back widened

i need 15x15 rims,, radiar ,,wont make me a custom set,,i may look in to a set with the correct front spacing and get the back widened

I have the same problem in that I chose not to mini tub. I ended up going through Moon Eys and haveing a pair of steelies made with a 4.75 offset. The wheels actulally were done by Wheel Vintiques. Had I know that I would of gone directly to them and maybe saved some bucks. I only need to run a 28x9 slick to launch that 273. Thanks for the complement.

The Dart Gt has a 415 smallblock that runs on pump gas from INDY and Edelbrock heads that the neighbor did for me. 2.050 intake valves and some port work, chambers are 62 cc to get 10.2 compression on a pro tru dish piston, victor 340 intake, 750 double pumper . Have you looked at ET wheels? They have a 5 spoke cast center wheel with the polished rim that looks really cool. I saw a set on a car that had to be 15 X 14 at least. So maybe they could make you a set. Jysnflem

The Dart Gt has a 415 smallblock that runs on pump gas from INDY and Edelbrock heads that the neighbor did for me. 2.050 intake valves and some port work, chambers are 62 cc to get 10.2 compression on a pro tru dish piston, victor 340 intake, 750 double pumper . Have you looked at ET wheels? They have a 5 spoke cast center wheel with the polished rim that looks really cool. I saw a set on a car that had to be 15 X 14 at least. So maybe they could make you a set. Jysnflem

I'd hate to have wheels on the Dart that's worth more than the car. ET Wheels = $$$$$$

yes and thanks i kjnow ET has 14 inch wide,,believe it or not i need at least 15 wide,,im not sure there 14 wide would have correct back spacing,, my tires are 22 wide, i have not checked,, but i do know ET 111 has what i want,, ive heard 3500.00 for all 4 ,,not in the buget at the moment

-
Back