Update on Nella's Van...or How to Spend $40k!!

-

cosgig

MoBro Inc.
FABO Gold Member
Reaction score
Howdy all, cosgig here. It seems that everytime I talk to someone here or sell some parts, everyone wants to know whats happening with Nella's van project. Well, heres an update, but don't throw sticks and stones because it doesn't have a happy ending, well, not a Mopar ending anyway!! Here goes...

It was back on New Years eve 2010 when I went to Chicago to pick up our project, a 77 Tradesman van to make a cool old school custom van for Nella to "arrive" in, when she needed her powered wheelchair. I thought the van would be the perfect candidate to make her dream a reality of having a cool Mopar and being able to have her chair at the events at the same time!! All sounds well right?? But...

The van has a side door clear opening of 47", the same as our current van, so no brainer...or so I thought. You see, Nella has been growing (thats what happens when you feed 'em) and is now 5'8" tall!! For the past 2 years, it has become increasingly dangerous for her to drive through the van doors without risk of decapitation, and thats no joke!! It's become a real problem, and a very real threat to her. I thought the answer would be to drop the floor in the Dodge and gain a few more inches, but since it is a full frame van, it simply can't be done...well, not on a realistic budget!! The answer???...

Well, close your eyes because some of you ain't gonna like this, but heres what we've spent our last 2 years wages on...a 2012 E350 Ford one ton van!! You see, Dodge don't make a van any more, GM doesn't accept the new lifts and Ford is the only van going with the ability to either drop the floor ($12k), or put on a turtle top ($6k). Best of all, it has a big V8 and is getting a tow package to be able to pull our 30' camping trailer to all her horseback riding shows!!

So, what to do with the Dodge Tradesman??? Well, I'm still gonna bring it home and put it together, but I'll probably need to sell it, as she'll never be able to get in the doors the way shes growing. Shes' 14 years old, we're still feeding her, and she's still getting taller by the day!!!

So, heres a few pics...the 77 Tradesman the way we bought it... the new 350... and the GMC van it's replacing!! I wish I could show you a pic with her in it, but after dealing with her insurance company for the last 2 months, we still haven't gotten the OK for the lift to get her in!! She's dying to take it for her first ride, I hope it's before next winter!!!

Take care, and sorry for the nightmares caused by viewing a Ford product here in Moparland!! It least it ain't a Chevy!!! Geof

Attachments

• 100_2833.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 165
  • 100_4814.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 172
  • 100_4820.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 159
  • 100_4819.jpg
    85.8 KB · Views: 174
  • 100_4816.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 176
That Ford Van is excellent, I hope and pray it meets all her needs and it's cool looking too.

Yup. Hafta do whut ya hafta do. If I live long enough I may be "semi permanently" in a chair myself. I can no longer walk very far and have been thinking more and more of "what to do" for vehicles.

Wow, nice van, Nella is a sweetie and is gonna love it! 14 already, and getting tall too! The old Dodge van should be an easy sell :glasses7:

I was hoping to see a pic of her beautiful smiling face in this thread :) Hope the van works out great!

All my DDs are Ford vehicles. The 99 Crown Vic is about to roll 170K and running great. Looks like a great safe van for your daughter.

Attachments

• CrownVic1.jpg
    95.2 KB · Views: 114
-
Back