Upgrade manual disc to power disc , but no room

-

62BT409

Reaction score
for the booster. I remember someone mentioning or me reading about a power brake system that can be mounted below in the frame area. I do not have the room for the booter in the engine compartment.

Why no room? What engine or headers? I have heard of a "hydro-boost", which might be what you mean. Maybe someone will post photos. Some say it didn't work well.

This may be a dumb question but do you have the offset bracket that raises the power booster up?

For sure you need stand-off brackets. Search for photos here. Even with those, the booster may just clear the valve cover if you have taller after-market ones. My 273 has exhaust manifolds that rise up on the driver's side and still are well below the booster. Most headers drop straight down, so shouldn't be a problem. How about posting a photo of your bay?

This will most likely be the easiest way to show you:
http://home.comcast.net/~jlbc11/sizzler.htm

But I am surprised that most of you have not seen the post that was almost years long doing this along with Hemidenny and Hemimark posts.

I.m just looking for suggestion. Also not trying to take away from the appearance of the engine compartment. I think I remember seeing something along time ago about the booster or assist unit mounted below in the frame area. And I also could have been dreaming :D

There used to be units called a "hydravac" or "hydrovac." These were a vacuum boosted unit that mounted down on the frame. You used your regular master, fed hyraulics to the booster, and it automatically boosted it with vaccuum. I do NOT think they exist (unless aftermarket) in tandem systems These were popular add-ons for light trucks and old Jeeps

chevy-hydrovac1.jpg

Another thing you might Google up is "Hydroboost." These are a booster that operates off a power steering pump. There's a member on here selling brackets. One source for small ones like you would need is a Chivvy Astro van

ccrp-1105-07-o+chevy-astro-van-hydroboost-salvage+hydroboost-installed.jpg

Otherwise, you'll have to find an offset bracket and possibly a small diameter booster unit.

This will most likely be the easiest way to show you:
http://home.comcast.net/~jlbc11/sizzler.htm

But I am surprised that most of you have not seen the post that was almost years long doing this along with Hemidenny and Hemimark posts.

I.m just looking for suggestion. Also not trying to take away from the appearance of the engine compartment. I think I remember seeing something along time ago about the booster or assist unit mounted below in the frame area. And I also could have been dreaming :D

That is because some of us don't follow every build thread unless we have something in common with it.

I did look at the link you provided and you have a beautiful peice of Detroit iron there.

Thank you....and I agree with you. I spend hours trying to see all of the threads that I can....until I fall a sleep :)

Hemmings Muscle mag 08/11 and Mopar Muscle mag 09/12...just sayin. Not bragging.

And I am not seeing anything JB friendly so far as suggestions.

What about this one?

http://ecihotrodbrakes.com/universal_brake_assist.html

BTW the first one I posted was designed for hemi's. The bracket go's up and provides the needed room.

Good luck

I was looking at the one you posted first....it is for Cuda & Challengers. They also have a room problem.
The one you just posted, ironically I was just talking to an acquaintance on the phone and he was describing this part. He was going to research it a little more and see if that would be the ticket.
Thanks
Jim

I installed it on my 66 barracuda with a 273. The oil cap on the valve cover was in the way but I managed to make it work.

Power discs are a downgrade in my opinion.

Keep it how it is. If you are having an issue with stopping power, you need to upgrade your brakes.

Power assist just makes the peddle easy to push. It doesn't make your car stop sooner.

that ECI unit looks promising...

Well, after corresponding with the factory multiple times and still waiting for a final answer the http://ecihotrodbrakes.com/universal_brake_assist.html unit is 16" long and with the measurements the unit will stick out as far as #3 plug and be somewhat close to the valve cover. Looks like it will do if one wants to put up with the monstrosity sticking half way out the drivers side of the motor.

STILL LOOKING AND LISTENING

-
Back