Upper control arm replacement

-

504DusterIR

Reaction score
Hello how's everyone doing , I'm bout to take out my upper control arms an replace them with new ones( ball joints already installed) any advice or info tips or tricks will help will be starting in bout 30 minutes , I've watched a few videos one video said to loosen strut from top to relieve stress , what can i keep bolted together an what do I need to take apart, thank you

Mark the Alignment Cams to get it back close to where it was. Leave the Castle nut loose to catch the assembly when the ball joint breaks free.

Got a "Pickle Fork" to separate the joint?

Are the replacement arms stock?

If you put a jack stand or jack loaded under the lower arm, you won't need to unload the torsion bar unless your replacing it too.

I replaced mine on a Duster. Just took the wheel off & unbolted them. Made a note of the direction of the alignment cams. Had to whack the spindle to get the ball joint loose.

If you support the lower control arm no need to release the torsion bar.

Remove the ball joint nut

Do not use a pickle fork.

Use one of these
Screenshot_20240611-104742.png

Apply pressure then a light tap to the side spindle.

It should pop right out.

Mark the upper bolts washers so you can put it back in about the same location

Then remove the upper bolts

You might want to start with videos of old vintage Mopars, not cars with struts.
I understand our cars have struts but the original posters post said "video said to loosen strut from top to relieve stress", not the same.

Alan

Up north, we have to deal with everything rusted. I have soaked the cam bolts for days before trying to remove, and still had them rusted in the bushing and wouldn’t come out. Removing the front shocks will give you more room. I would check the lower ball joints, tie rod ends and lower control arm bushings before taking anything apart.

Ok I started just got back to my phone I'm trying to take this bolt out now

IMG_20240611_122119.jpg

You probably want to support the lower control arm with a jack stand, and disconnect the upper ball joint first

I replaced mine on a Duster. Just took the wheel off & unbolted them. Made a note of the direction of the alignment cams. Had to whack the spindle to get the ball joint loose.
I didn't not make note of the direction of the alignment,after I put the new control arms on I take it to get alignment for free but have 90 days to put new control arms in if not I have to pay for alignment

Ok I got both bolts out ,maybe I'm doing it backwards , I think some said in the comments to get the nut on the ball joint loose 1st ? Now I need to get the nut on the ball joint off

IMG_20240611_123030.jpg

Ok I got both bolts out ,maybe I'm doing it backwards , I think some said in the comments to get the nut on the ball joint loose 1st ? Now I need to get the nut on the ball joint off
You shouldn't have to but it helps to remove the cotter key and loosen the castle nut.

Are you installing aftermarket A arms?

I think so, I got the castle nut off now I'm just trying to get the old control arm out

IMG_20240611_132157.jpg

Hhhmmm, a discussion about ball joints and control arms in the “small block Mopar engine” forum.

Yeh, that tracks.

is the ball joint still connected to the spindle?

if so you're gonna have a hell of a time chasing that around trying to get it to pop loose.

Hhhmmm, a discussion about ball joints and control arms in the “small block Mopar engine” forum.

Yeh, that tracks.
Yea it does track it's the suspension on small block mopar, got any advice ?
is the ball joint still connected to the spindle?

if so you're gonna have a hell of a time chasing that around trying to get it to pop loose.
It is still connected, should I put the control arm back in place an out a bolt in it to secure it

It is still connected, should I put the control arm back in place an out a bolt in it to secure it
yes. pop it back in. leave the ball joint castle nut a few threads on and crack it off the spindle. support the lower control arm so it doesn't go flopping all over the place when you take off the nut and pull the upper arm away. namely, watch you don't stretch and bust a brake line.

if you haven't already, pull all the tension off the torsion bars. remember to loosen the lower control arm pivot nut first and only tighten it up once it's back on the ground and your ride height is set.

You have new upper control arms w/new ball joints, right?

If that's the case, whip the old castle nut off the old ball joint and use a separator (post #7) and you're home free. Reinstall in reverse order.

This is fairly simple.. Remove shock for room, remove cotter pin in upper Ball Joint, loosen nut, place jack under lower control arm unloaded and not quite touching use ball joint popper as shown or mangle with pickle fork, once popped floor jack will support lower control arm, spindle and torsion will still be loaded. Loosen cam bolts and pry out...

-
Back