Upper end noise

-

THE STEVE

"part-time wheelman"
Reaction score
cruising down the freeway tonight i noticed a noise when accellerating from 2500rpm to around 2800rpm. sounded like a rattle coming from the pass side bank toward the back. my car is gutted so i can hear alot coming from the engine bay while driving. the noise gets a little louder at around 3000rpm. at idle it goes away the noise isnt consistent. doesnt sound to me like a lifter but more of a rocker noise? the valvetrain has always had alittle noise kinda like a "sewing machine" but never a tick or rattle. sitting in park with the hood open and engine running i can hear more of a noise coming from the back pass side. the motor is a 77 van motor with stock bottom end, a .498 .292 cam. stock heads with some port work and a little heavier valve spring (dont remember the spec) car runs fine but cruisin down the hwy it develops that rattle noise. tomorrow i was thinking of pulling the valve cover and inspecting the rockers. any thoughts?

also, i usually run 20-50 vr1 oil. thie last time i changed it i was out of town at school and used a 10-30 oil. my oil pressure gauge is hooked up at the top of the block behind the intake and reads low presure (always has). startup is around 45psi and drops as i drive it. its close to 10 psi for every 1000rpm but drops to 0 at a stop in gear. i can see the oil line connecting to the gauge throught the hole where the radio was and only at startup it has a constant flow going through it. i was thinking about connectig the gauge to a lower spot on the block if there is one. the engine was built 4 years ago and probably only has about 10000 mi on it if that. its always read low but ive used cheap gauges. the "sewing machine" upper end noise has always been there and i was told not to worry about it since the shaft system is non adjustable and it was the exact setup that come off that motor. motor had 60,000mi on it when i tore it apart and rebuilt it. i built it at the speed shop i worked at in highschool and my boss helped me assemble it.

Are you positive it's valvetrain type noise? You don't think it's kissing valves do ya?

Like you plan to do anyway, pop off a cover and see what you have...if your pressure is dropping to near zero at idle when warm-even with heavier oil-you might be in need of a freshening soon...mine does the same thing, only not that bad...it maintains about 12psi @ warm low idle.

what do you mean by "kissing the valves"? yeah, i`ll tear into tomorrow and see if i can spot anything. nothing a major overhaul cant fix lol. im not too worried. like i said im going to try and put my oil pressure gauge input in a lower spot on the block and see what that does. right now its up top behind the intake. the motor is nice and smooth otherwise and runs great. its a fairly fresh motor. last summer i had it out and on a stand to replace the rear main seal and the cylinders/ and internals looked great. the oil is due for a change and it still looks like it was just put in. nice and golden. thanks for the input though!

stock rocker arms. entire top end is stock minus springs and valve covers. covers are aluminum M/Ts. engine has stock "dished" pistons. hasnt been decked or bored. heads have not been milled. just ported a little. stock pushrods.

What do you have for exhaust?
Couldn't be a crossover valve could it?

Since this noise has always been there make sure the rocker shafts are oriented correctly.
The slots in the bottom of the shaft go down.

I would put some heavier oil in it too keep pressure up.
The top of the motor is where the oil pressure gauge should be, there is no where else to put it.

changed the oil and put Vr1 20-50 in it. pressure is great now even after an 8 mile hot lap. pulled the covers and noticed that when my 17yr old dumbass built it 6 yrs ago that i had the rockers all wrong. the rattle noise i heard was coming from no.8 cyl and the rockers were touching alittle. so i looked it (luckily i carry a 1976 mitchell book on me at all times) and i put them back in in the correct order. and the shafts are in right. luckily they were right when i put them in years ago. but now it has a tick-like noise. you can only hear it when you have your head right next to the valve cover. the sound comes from both sides across all the rockers. the other rattle is gone. im thinking that all those miles with the rockers in the incorrect order that they now have a wear pattern andsince they are switched around now that that must be causing the slight noise. car runs great and has good pressure now. tomorrow im going to look into a new stock rocker/shaft setup. they seem kindof worn and have alittle play on the shaft. everything else looks like its getting well lubed and pushrods look good too. any thoughts?
thanks

Check lobe/final lift Use a dial indicator. The results,will tell.

-
Back