US Car Tool A518 Cross member

-
If you add the additional material, will it interfere with the fit up? The pic on their website looks like there’s not much room for any mods. But, I don’t disagree, the more robust you can make it, the less deflection you will experience for sure.

36B07DC0-90B1-4157-A324-5E7A201D6FAE.jpeg

I have that kit. I didn't realize it can with the trans mount also. Lol. I have it sitting on a shelf. I have to get the GM trans rubber still.

Are you going to do a write up?
You know it. I have a 1000 pictures on my phone of Barracuda pictures. I think it is a 10:1 ratio of car to family photos. I will get started on the swap when it gets warmer.

You know it. I have a 1000 pictures on my phone of Barracuda pictures. I think it is a 10:1 ratio of car to family photos. I will get started on the swap when it gets warmer.
If my wife ever browsed pictures on my iPad, it could be an awkward moment as well. I too have more Dodge pics on my device than all other pictures combined!

I was looking at GM OD and mopar OD automatic setups for my sons 69 notchback. There was someone on fabo that did a GM OD setup on an A body. I admired his tenacity for reinventing the wheel so to speak to get it to fit on the back of a mopar V8, custom modding inspection shields, grinding, trimming, etc, however the 42RH - 46RH chrysler trans is really is the way to go, especially if using a stock 3 speed automatic floor shift console setup that you want to keep. Just add your lockup pushbutton in a convienent place. When the time comes a 42RH is in the plans for the future.

I was looking at GM OD and mopar OD automatic setups for my sons 69 notchback. There was someone on fabo that did a GM OD setup on an A body. I admired his tenacity for reinventing the wheel so to speak to get it to fit on the back of a mopar V8, custom modding inspection shields, grinding, trimming, etc, however the 42RH - 46RH chrysler trans is really is the way to go, especially if using a stock 3 speed automatic floor shift console setup that you want to keep. Just add your lockup pushbutton in a convienent place. When the time comes a 42RH is in the plans for the future.
I agree about the perseverance it takes to install the GM tranny. The measuring and shimming of the adapter bell housing to center the tranny was the deal breaker for me. I purchased some exhaust parts from member Tribig and he did the GM swap. I think he was a machinist before he retired so the 200R was right up is alley.

Now if there was a plug n play kit with everything needed to do the GM O/D without having to "make" it fit, then that would be great, however i like the mopar O/D setup with a 3 speed detents and pushbutton O/D. This allows the use of the stock 3 speed floor shifter. I have seen the GM car O/D conversion kits with different bezels and extra detents for the shifters. Thats all cool for GM apps, but unneeded when using a mopar O/D trans.

Last edited:
Now if there was a plug n play kit with everything needed to do this without having to "make" it fit, then that would be great, however i like the mopar O/D setup with a 3 speed detents and pushbutton O/D. This allows the use of the stock 3 speed floor shifter. I have seen the GM car O/D conversion kits with different bezels and extra detents for the shifters. Thats all cool for GM apps, but unneeded when using a mopar O/D trans.
There is a plug and play kit once you physically get the tranny to fit in your car and you get your driveshaft shortened.

COMPUSHIFT Mini for Chrysler A518/46RH and A618/47RH

I just purchased it and it is very straight forward.

There is a plug and play kit once you physically get the tranny to fit in your car and you get your driveshaft shortened.

COMPUSHIFT Mini for Chrysler A518/46RH and A618/47RH

I just purchased it and it is very straight forward.
Great kit if your going to use the A727 variant. We are going to go with a 42RH A904 variant. Doesnt say it will work for that. I have looked at different kits. Not sure what the difference is in the 42RH and the 46RH except that one is A904 based and the other is A727 based.. The 42RH will fit a bit better size wise, and has a numerically lower first gear ratio than the 46RH. Its going behind a hopped up teener with a 3.73 rear so i dont need the heavier duty version. The 42RH can be built to handle additional HP.

I
Great kit if your going to use the A727 variant. We are going to go with a 42RH A904 variant. Doesnt say it will work for that. I have looked at different kits. Not sure what the difference is in the 42RH and the 46RH except that one is A904 based and the other is A727 based.. The 42RH will fit a bit better size wise, and has a numerically lower first gear ratio than the 46RH. Its going behind a hopped up teener with a 3.73 rear so i dont need the heavier duty version. The 42RH can be built to handle additional HP.
I spoke to Jim at Compushift before I purchased my controller. It will control the A500 the same as A518 as long as it is a 3 pin OD and lock up tranny. He needs to update his website and add the A500....he is not doing himself any favors with the A500 crowd.

What year to what year will i find the 3 pin O/D lockup setup, along with speedometer cable drive equipped extension housing? Got lots of trucks and vans to choose from in my local wreckers.

What year to what year will i find the 3 pin O/D lockup setup, along with speedometer cable drive equipped extension housing? Got lots of trucks and vans to choose from in my local wreckers.
I have found them from 1991 through 1995 for the 3 wire OD and lock up version. If you can find a v8 Dakota with the A500 (RH42) it May have more clutches in the packs (RH44) but I have never seen one. Your looking for this plug on the passenger side of the tranny for the RH version of the tranny.

C92A7564-3286-4A57-985E-0E664AD868FE.jpeg

CCB27A93-32FA-4105-A048-8E08543D3F57.jpeg

The nice thing with the HMG controller is you can spec between mechanical or electrical Speedo plug on the tranny

87B6AC8A-C9AE-4B11-8833-65BDABD067DB.jpeg

If it has an 11 pin plug the tranny is built after 1996 they went from hydraulic to electric solenoid control (RH to RE). Skip that one. If there are only 2 pins in the oval connector it was built before the lock up converter. I don’t have the data when they added the lockup.

On the harness that came with my transmission, I found (2) plugs not connected, and a 3rd still plugged in. From what I can tell, the main plug may accommodate additional wires, but only has 3 being used. There is also a 2 wire plug that is I’m assuming should be plugged in, just haven’t located the location yet. My understanding is it came out of an 89 model Dodge van. Best I can tell, it looks to be the right transmission for the conversion.

20794D96-DBC6-4EB6-BE96-E9C58EACE65F.jpeg

4E1E3709-BAD6-4157-8C84-4650FE25D866.jpeg

49AF2BB3-B25C-48A4-B9F3-D0CA3350B1F0.jpeg

On the harness that came with my transmission, I found (2) plugs not connected, and a 3rd still plugged in. From what I can tell, the main plug may accommodate additional wires, but only has 3 being used. There is also a 2 wire plug that is I’m assuming should be plugged in, just haven’t located the location yet. My understanding is it came out of an 89 model Dodge van. Best I can tell, it looks to be the right transmission for the conversion.

View attachment 1715297819

View attachment 1715297820

View attachment 1715297821

Looks like you have the OD version without lock up. Good news for you a 727 tourqe converter will work with the tranny giving you more economical choices.

Here is the OD and lock up plug in the HGM kit and then the next (2) pictures are the OE plug that was on the 1991 A500 tranny when I purchased it.

image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

You posted this picture....never seen that one before but I only have 3 years with my Barracuda. Maybe someone else can comment
6EA70782-04B3-4314-869F-57FE8605A51C.jpeg

When you say more economical choices, what kind of choices would there be? I have the 727 that came with the car originally. You have to forgive my ignorance, but the 727 isn’t a lockup, correct?

When you say more economical choices, what kind of choices would there be? I have the 727 that came with the car originally. You have to forgive my ignorance, but the 727 isn’t a lockup, correct?

All depends on which 727 you have. If it is before 1978 it is probably non-lockup.

If you want the complete skinny on lockup transmissions. This article and the clip from the article should tell all about lockup units and how to ID them.

Mechanical override: Lockup torque converters

“....A lockup A-727 transmission has about 5/8” of the end of the smaller input shaft machined smooth. If the splines go out to the end of the shaft (except for about a 1/8" bevel), it’s not a lockup transmission. (Thanks, Joe Reiss and Rick Allison of A & A Transmission.) Torque converters from 1978 to at least 1988 should have a “LOCK-UP” sticker if they are lockup designs. “

splines.jpg

Custom tourqe converters specifically for the A500 and A518 are very expensive relative to the 727.

Last edited:
I'm real interested n seeing someone install this trans with THIS cross member. Lots of guys have installed this trans, but have fabbed their own cross member.

Just ordered my USCartool crossmember. Now I have to find a 42RH

View attachment 1715298388
The boys claim the 518 will fit with their tranny bracket without floor cutting. I don’t know if someone did install it they could have enough room to shim to get the drive shaft Angles correct before the 518 hits the inside of the tranny tunnel. I’m going to fit them both this spring. I’ll keep you posted.

They advertise "Engineered to facilitate installing a Chrysler 518 overdrive automatic transmission into a Dodge/Plymouth Mopar A Body car. Requires additional fabrication and welding."

I figured the additional fab and weld was the tunnel mods.....

-
Back