Used car haggling

-

Longgone

John/68 Barracuda & Dart
Reaction score
I`ve been looking for another car for several weeks now and just recently found a car that appeals to me. Unfortunately it`s at a dealer, which means I`ll have to prepare for hours of back and forth haggling with a salesman. I know I`ll hear all about Kelly Blue Book value and all of that BS so I`m wondering what`s a good offer to begin with ....10% off the sticker? I`ve checked Edmunds "true market value" and the car is well above it, but after looking around it seems like everybody is well above TMV. Any advise would be appreciated.

I dont think Ive ever bought a car from a used car dealership because I just plain out do not trust them.I usually just bought them from private sales and they are alot cheaper.Ive seen cars at used car lots for $3500,when I could probably wait and find the same one from a private party for $1000.They are good for people that have really low income and can only afford to make payments but the thing is they have no warranty and if the car craps out,your stuck paying for $3500 for a piece of crap thats now only worth $500.Ive worked at used car lots and seen with my own eyes the shady crap they do.Ive never made a car payment in my life and I plan to keep it that way.:cheers:
I dont know what kind of car you are eyeballing but look over it as if you were a car show judge,look for leaks,check if its been painted(which could mean it was wrecked at one time)look for noises in the engine,check engine lights,any foul smell from the exhaust.take it for a drive and listen for any suspention noises,alignment issues.Im sure you know all of this,lol
and oh ask him SHOW ME THE CAR-FAX,lol

in any purchase, I decide what I want to pay, period. What is put on the table is take it or leave it. No haggling. Leave that for others to do!
Key is, be fair an be respectfull. I do make it clear, I won't play the game. My time is far to valuable.
good luck

Agree with plumcrazy. Personally i Always use that technique. Research prices for vehicle in area from private owners & dealers and formulate highest price you are comfortable paying and do not deviate. You have the upperhand in this economy.

Oldschoolcuda

I hate buying from a dealer. I always keep an eye out while driving and i always seem to run across or notice different vehicles setting in someones yard or on the street with a "For Sale" sign pasted in the window. Maybe they dont have a for sale sign. Stop and look at it and see what's the deal on em. Maybe your lucky day. I've placed bids at the title loan stores on their repos. Some good, some not so good. Just a suggestion for ya. Good luck on the hunt. Oh yes, listen to the Tradio shows as there are some folks in a bind looking to move one quick. What kinda car are you looking to buy?
Small Block

Unless it's a very hard-to-find car, you have the upper hand. Be respectful, make your offer, and if he refuses, thank him and head for the door. The salesman will then try to get you to sit back down, but don't do it til he agrees on your price (TOTAL price out the door.) Then you shake hands and sit back down and sign. It's easy. Good luck.

Hard to say. I have bought cars from both dealers and "off the street". If you are looking to pay cash I would just by off the street. If you are looking for payments, just expect the dealer to come down some. You do have the upper hand.
My story: Last year my son was looking for a new Challenger R/T. As we drove around the dealers we found a dealer that had 3 used ones. 2 were 09 and one 08. The 08 was classified new as it had never been sold, low vin number and $50K. 1 09 was 43K (more options) and the other was 40K with nice aftermarket stuff. So the haggling started. My son had a 01 Blazer to trade. We sat down with the sales guy. I told him that $40K with 6K on the odomater was to much for a used car, I "acted" like I did not want my son to buy it. The sales guy called the new car dealer and ask what the price of a new 1 with the same options. When he hung up he said that it would be $46 new. I told him that was to fu_king much for a new one. He ask what we would be willing to pay. I told him we would not pay more the $32K and payments for 5 years. He left the room to have a chat with manager or a cup of coffee. I did not think they would come down that much. When he returned he said DEAL. Of course they gave us 12K for trade in for a truck that was worth 4K. I know, that hurt NADA and Kelly BB.
Bottom line is if a dealer wants to sell a car they will work with you. Not all are bad but they do need to make money as well.

You have done your homework, you are half way there. Walk in say I am looking at that car and here is what I'll pay so don't waste my time. And stick to your guns, if he has to go consult the manager, walk out.

I`ve been looking for another car for several weeks now and just recently found a car that appeals to me. Unfortunately it`s at a dealer, which means I`ll have to prepare for hours of back and forth haggling with a salesman. I know I`ll hear all about Kelly Blue Book value and all of that BS so I`m wondering what`s a good offer to begin with ....10% off the sticker? I`ve checked Edmunds "true market value" and the car is well above it, but after looking around it seems like everybody is well above TMV. Any advise would be appreciated.

Most dealers have more mark-up in their used cars than the new ones. I would start closer to 20% off. You can always go up......Good Luck

I tell them they have one shot...if they can't make the decision then I want to talk to the person that can...I'm not playing the back and forth game. You are probably better off not trading in a car...because they can double bang you on that deal. Or if you do trade it in do the Apples for Apples...if they quote you retail on there car..get retail for your car. Know what your trade is worth. Know what their car is worth. Have it printed out so that you have something to go by.
I told the last sales guy I'm not setting here why you go smoke a cig with your boss....when you come out of that room you had better give me your best shot. Then if the shot's not good enough I leave. Call me when you want to make the deal...see ya. My wife always leaves the fun stuff to me..:) I was raised around used car lots...my Dad love to wheal and deal.

I work in the Car Dealer world, we put specials and ads and other stuff for over 7000 dealerships.

I cant believe prices both new and used cars these days. You would be suprised at how many classic cars are at car deaelrships also.

There was a 66 Coronet factory 383 car at a dealership a few weeks ago. They wanted $25,000 for it. You know they totally hosed the guy on the trade in, and he traded it for a new Camaro. I for one will never buy a new or used car from a dealership after working here.

Although you come upon a awsome deal every now and then. A Chrysler dealership was having a sale on a 2009 Chrysler 300 SRT8 loaded $50,000 car, they had a sale on for $25,000 off, that was one killer deal.

in any purchase, I decide what I want to pay, period. What is put on the table is take it or leave it. No haggling. Leave that for others to do!
Key is, be fair an be respectfull. I do make it clear, I won't play the game. My time is far to valuable.
good luck

Im the EXACT same! I decide what its worth to me regardless of what the asking price is. I say walk in and give them a "fair" number that works for you and just flat out tell them thats all you see the car being worth to YOU and that you arent going to haggle. Ive done this before and have walked out only to be chased down as I was leaving and getting my price. Ive also NOT been chased down and left to drive off (Im sure they were waving goodbye to me, but Im also sure it was a 1 finger wave lol)

The first thing I would advise is, don't shop a payment.
The next is wait until the end of the month. That's when the salesmen are trying to make their #'s and cover their draw. They are more likely to come down then.
Don't discuss a trade in until you have settled on a price for the car that you are buying.
Stick to your guns and don't be afraid to get up and walk away.
I've seen salesmen work a deal, and have a customer get up on them, they will try to work with you. They get paid nothing until the car is sold.
That whole go talk to my sales mgr about this price is B/S. They should have a sheet with the stock# and min sales price of each used unit. anything over that # is theirs plus the hold back commission. They know what they can sell a car for and no conversation is needed.

gunbunny's tips were very good. I personally don't treat a used car dealer any different than I treat a private seller. I look at what private seller blue book would be for the car and then decide what I'm willing to give for it. When I bought my truck, at the time it blue'd for $28.5K, which is what they were asking for it, and it looked like it did in the picture minus the push bar on the front and the light bar in the bed. In other words, blue book price didn't include the leveling kit, 16.5" aluminum rims and 35" BFG's, after market fender flares, diamond plate covers for the top of both fenders and tailgate. After watching it sit on the lot for a month, I offered $25K and told them what interest rate I wanted. He called me back 15 minutes later and said, "Come get your truck." The key is to not pay any more for it than you want to.

Attachments

• 99 Ram 2500 4 X 4 Cummins.jpg
    14.3 KB · Views: 144
just remember everyone, we all like to eat. doesn't mean steak and ribs everynite, but even a saleman has to eat. be fair and show respect and it will go along way. A salesman wants to make the sale! a dealership wants to make the sale! unfortunately, its how capitalism is driven. if you don't like the price, you can leave anytime, but do it with a handshake!

:cheers:

Yes, what plumcrazy said!
But my biggest advantage is being ready to just walk away from a car. My wife hates that, but the dealer always calls home later with a better price. Now the dealer has to make it worthwhile for you to go back.
Good luck John

20 to 40% off is usually where I start. $10k car, offer $6k. I usually end up close to that mark. The last used car I haggled over was for my mother. I got $7k off an $18k asking price. I think that's close to 40%.

-
Back